Soooo does anybody know what happened to furryfrog02?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, May 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I doubt that many members of this forum object to the "no politics" rule on principle; certainly I don't. There's no clarity however about just what constitutes "politics." In my view, certain kinds of "political" comments are indeed tolerated here; not coincidentally, ones that espouse positions that the moderators find simpatico. For instance, as @DonnaML alluded to upthread, a Confederate flag seems to be an acceptable Cointalk avatar, although I can't imagine a more inherently political statement than that. Another example: vicious attacks on the US Post Office in general and the postal unions in particular are apparently acceptable here, although such attacks are patently indicative of a certain political persuasion in this country.

Phil Davis

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Had a PM conversation with Furry 3 weeks ago. I offered free coins for his YN but he wouldn’t have it. Says he’s retiring from military soon & taking civilian job. Maybe my local Boy Scouts will want some. A good friend of mine is live in Camp Ranger & connects with many troops

4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

You do know that the First Amendment doesn't apply to this group, right? Plus, there's a big difference between legal on the one hand, and morally acceptable on the other, especially when someone posts the tagline of a group that espouses the belief that major figures in one party quite literally eat babies, that Sandy Hook was a hoax and the dead children never existed, and now that Buffalo was a false flag operation. And, yet, does NOT get banned, while the person who pushes back does get banned. Robust? Please. These aren't "public issues"; they're deranged fantasies espoused by disordered minds. Beyond the pale. To criticize them isn't "political"; it's what any decent human being would do if they have even a tenuous grasp on reality. To ban furryfrog for pushing back on someone who believes that stuff is like banning me for pushing back against someone who came here to deny the Holocaust. Or to argue that the former existence of slavery in the USA is a myth.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Because rational, free thinking people are seen as a threat and therefore a target. Whereas the deranged fantasists are to be dealt with leniently for fear of reprisals. What a sad state of affairs where the status quo is more important than actually dealing with an issue.
    As yet there is no app for common sense

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think the word "Rational" is the crucial adjective. If this had been reported to the moderators and allowed them to handle it, no one would be gone. Left to members who takes it on themselves, either as personal or other reason, to intercede, and as a result break the rules also is not allowed. Our job is to make the decisions that fall under the rules established by the owner(s) of the site. They try very hard to make the rules known, but many newcomers jump right in to ask a questions and then becomes embroiled in arguments and "words/phrases not allowed". I act on what I see and read. We try to be equally fair to all members, from the new member to the 20,000+ likes person.
    I am not sure why " Rational, free thinking people are seen as a threat " is said, as we have many people on here that are free thinking in life, they just are not as free thinking in typing a response , and we deal with response that are there and not ones made up in our heads. Some members think because of their time in coins, history knowledge, languages, popularity , number of posts or "likes", they should be treated better than a newbie. Sorry, No , that is not the owners or moderators intent. Members are free to stay or leave if they stay within the rules. They apply to you, me, all of us members. No offense to anyone intended. IMO, Jim

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

And how do you explain the apparent inability of a substantial number of people to join in the first place? Technical issues or something else?

Ed Snible and Volodya like this.
  8. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

I agree with the "no politics" rule. However, I do think someone of Furryfrog's stature and tenure should be only temporarily banned. Ultimately, our goal here is education and chatter about ancient coins without dealing with political issues.

Furryfrog contributed in a strong positive way to this forum, so IMHO a temporary ban would have made clear to him that trolls must be handled by the moderators, and would have still allowed us to benefit from his contributions.

9. desertgem

I have no real data/numbers, on that, but from web experience, I expect the higher percentage is by false memory of previous joining and then trying various combinations which can activate security programs and lockout after a certain number of attempts. A smaller proportion can be in the user's browser if they ( or their installed software ) blocks certain "cookies" or ID queries. Last week I was unable to access a publisher's web site,( as the new upgrade of Firefox came with blockers turned on for security) and the website couldn't find their cookie, so no! , even though my password still got me into the site. So hard to say. Maybe Doug or Peter gets a report from the Xenforo site. Sorry I do not have specifics, but I think it is very small % of the total.
    My college is going to multiple Factor Access, after several break in attempts. So after it happens, I will have to enter a code sent by phone, and if it is the first sign-in after a set number of days, something such as
    birthday, or age, or type of car with campus parking....

Jim

DonnaML likes this.
  10. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I would think someone with substantial time and contributions to the forum would warrant a private disciplinary warning as a first step, rather than an immediate permanent ban - what a shortsighted course of action that is. And yes, time and contributions here should figure into it. Rules are rules, absolutely, but there is a more sensible (and productive) way to administer them than blanket banning.

DonnaML likes this.
  11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

So you'd like a subjective set of rules? Status based on various factors that are purely personal opinion?

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Works for celebrities.:troll:

CoinCorgi likes this.
  13. desertgem

Numisnewbiest, I do not totally disagree with you, but I am not the owner. No one has to pay to become a member. Voluntary sponsorship is good as it helps the owner pay for everything we use, But in the end, he sets the rules and regulations. I have been asked to moderate several other coin sites over the years where I am a member, but I stay here as long as they will have me, because it is the best one overall, and it is the best for young beginners. Which was one concern that I had personally and felt the owner did also.

Most often if you are reading a thread and a buddy is going south fast, try to rein him/her in~ fast by them deleting or changing wordage before it goes to far. Moderators have no computer alarm system that bad language or other disallowed material is present and be able stop it before it has bad outcomes such as this. IMO, Jim

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You know that happens every time.
    Folks are given points, think of it as a drivers license. You are warned, points given and as time passes points go away.
    Once you have been warned that your actions are not permissible you get a vacation. Once back from vacation and you violate the rules again, you might get a longer vacation.
    Let's put it this way, you get plenty of warnings, and slaps on the wrist.

CT makes it very easy to follow the rules.

15. Numisnewbiest

No, I didn't know that happens every time. Reading this thread, it sounded like FurryFrog got no warning - just banned on the spot. If he had indeed been warned and then continued to break the rule anyway, then the ban wasn't a matter of "too much too quickly".

16. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Your post might have more merit if Coin Talk was a democracy.

HINT: It isn't.

I would have been banned long ago if I didn't continue to make a concerted effort to only post here in the Ancients Section of CT.

I really enjoy it as a viable place to temporarily escape from the bitterly divisive politics of the world that we're currently living in. It's a venue where people can primarily come to share a common interest, rather than mostly focusing on topics that divide and foster resentment.

There are multitudes of other places on the internets where people can argue politics at their screens to their heart's content.

If any mods are reading this...

FREE FURRYFROG02 !!!

[​IMG]

kazuma78, Cucumbor, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  17. Numisnewbiest

Not at all. But what I would like is a system by which someone is privately warned first before being permanently banned. As noted in the post above, apparently this already is the system in place, which wasn't clear in this thread.

18. CoinCorgi

Nothing but rose petals and candles here in the ancients forum.

19. CoinCorgi

I understand. I was just going off of what you described in the post I quoted before, which describe something completely different than what you now are describing (i.e. the current system).

20. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

There will always be subjective factors and grey areas in moderation decisions, here as on any site. I get that. Some things are crystal clear though. Can you please explain why--at least in the bewildering opinion of the powers-that-be of Cointalk--displaying a Confederate flag is NOT deemed a "political" statement? I assure you that most people will see that as "political," not as subjective or ambiguous at all (although of course, by definition it is grey.)

Phil Davis

jdmKY likes this.
  21. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Well, there is the occasional rabid stray that seems to lose their way from the US COINS FORUM from time to time.

Eventually they scurry on back while mumbling something or other about off-centered strike errors and "Is it MS-65 or MS-66? derp":p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.