Son Finds Fathers Collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BlackBeard_Thatch, May 21, 2018.

1. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I realize that 8-coin sets encased in acrylic can be difficult to photograph, but come on ANACS!

He had a lot of nice proofs... and CC Morgans...

BlackBeard_Thatch and CoinBlazer like this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

LA_Geezer likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Why can't they just go over the yard with a strong metal detector?

From post #3. Salvageable cash? It's not theirs.They know the identity of the owners, and the cash that was destroyed sometimes can be replaced.

6. Clawcoins

You would think they would do that.
    Metal dectector and find everything. Then maybe remove 4-6 inches of the topsoil and do again, while checking the soil as they remove some of it.

Michael K likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

He chose ANACS?!?!?!? C'mon, man!

8. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Go cheap, sell cheap.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Why not, they’re professionals just like the others.

I am rather puzzled about this:
    “The son says he plans to eventually liquidate all of his father’s collection (...) and use the proceeds to expand his own collection of ancient gold coins.”

Really? I’d keep the proof set.

JPeace$, Dave Waterstraat and Bilbo1 like this.
  10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Seriously. Who wouldn't like that?!

11. Clawcoins

Truthfully, if you gave me a bunch of ancients, I'd sell/trade them and buy US coins.

So he's just the reverse. No interest in US Coins, and wants to convert the assets to Ancient coins.

12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Yes they are professionals. But, if one's goal is to authenticate and grade the coins to sell then the reality of the market is that NGC and PCGS slabbed coins sell for more; even considering the higher grading fees. I'm not knocking ANACS as I've bought some nice coins in their slabs in the past.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Here’s why not - he has stated he wants to sell, and there are TWO other services that routinely bring far higher prices at sale.

I was at an auction Saturday morning, and I watched a few small slab era ANACS pieces sell for PCGS-like prices, but not the newer ANACS stuff.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Mainebill likes this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I bet he could hire @paddyman98 for a day and turn up everything his pop ever considered burying in the backyard.

Mainebill and paddyman98 like this.
  15. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

Something funny about that story ,I tried to login and could not. I went to coin World and it seems to have been taken off?

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

...and I am sure paddyman could check all the coins for varieties too.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

That story just doesn't ring true to me. The son (maybe slow or mentally handicapped?) is finding his father's collection piece meal and thinks the coins are only worth a few hundred dollars. What collector doesn't realize the value of such a find, even if they don't collect U.S. coins? JMO

wxcoin likes this.
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I get that, but I’d never sell all of my father’s coins. Also I thought nobody would guarantee the authenticity of ancients... one more reason to keep those Morgans and Seated proofs.

As for ANACS vs NGC/PCGS, I am aware of the market. But I try to buy the coin not the holder, so to me it doesn’t make a big difference.

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Is it possible that at his year of encapsulation, there were only 2 choices having little relation ship to the A.N.A.? As remembered, I didn't acquire any "slabbed" coins until after 1984. Originally they were considered accurate/economical/expedient.

JMHO

20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

My children haven't a clue, or any interest, other than wanting to know where they can exchange for "Fiat". I gave my daughter a set of ear rings custom made from BU Quarter-Eagles which she gave to a friend. I had given my son various coins through the years, but his friends finally confiscated them.

Relatively few youths appear to have any interest in coins after giving each of my grand children a different Silver or Gold coin dependent upon their Gender/Age.

I gave my oldest grand daughter one each B.U. Silver U.S. coin back to the War Nickel as a Graduation present. She asked her father and mother why this odd amount of change. Her mother asked my son who explained the various descending denominations. My Chinese grand-daughter said "he could have started with a $50 coin".

If it doesn't have a battery, 4 wheels, or an address, it appears to have little value.

JMHO

21. V. Kurt Bellman

It's a current day story.

Draft saved Draft deleted