Something With Special Meaning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Sep 28, 2021.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This wooden nickel flat issued by the town of Great Barrington, Ma. has a very special meaning to me, not for the flat but for the town. Growing up, every Friday night we kids would visit our grandmother and I got to go downtown on my own to explore when I was around 12 years old. The shops were all family owned by locals back then. It was adult and child friendly. Never had to worry about loitering. I purchased my first coin folders at Melvin's Drug Store, along with other supplies. It was set up like an old 5 & 10 with shelves to the ceiling. I would go the the Mahawie National Bank (Named after early native Americans) and get rolls of cents to look for to fill spaces. This was done at the working fountain in front of the town hall. I would also visit Teds Smoke Shop to pick up my comic books. Teds wife Mary Blackwell would allow me to store comics for my next visit when I could not afford to buy all I wanted. Sometimes I would go to the Rexall Drug Store, operated by Bernie Green. Bernie knew of my passion for comics and would pay me a dollar to clean the shelves with all of the trinkets that were sold to the visitors to the town. I would then pick out some comics or get a grilled cheese sandwich and a grape soda from the bubble fountain. There was also a W.T. Grants that was huge for any child to wander around in and make a wish list of things I could not afford. When I was able to make more money I made regular trips to the Sears catalog store and got my first transistor radio and other things. It was an easier time when everyone knew your name and treated you with respect, which you returned right back. This nickel flat was issued in 1936 and was good to trade in at the bank for a brand new Buffalo nickel. It celebrated the 175th anniversary of the town along with the 95th annual Great Barrington Fair. Post something that has special meaning to you that is numismatic and why. Thanks for listening. Tom img886.jpg img887.jpg img887.jpg 1 great barrington main street.jpg 1 great barrington main street 3.jpg 1 great barrington main street 2.jpg 1 great barrington main street 2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Apologies for the dupes. It's a computer glitch.

CoinJockey73 and Mr.Q like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sure reminds me of my younger days. I can’t imagine a dollar as a quarter would buy a comic book, a fountain drink and a candy bar larger than they are today. And the best part was, I always got back change.

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

My Wife has special memories of Prince George, BritishColumbia. She went to live with a relative after leaving Norway. She was there to learn English for a year before starting a job in Germany. She had some great experiences there and a hatful of memories. Some years later she received in the post these as a memento of her time there. Her cousin came across them and thought them ideal. They are huge, Morgan dollar for comparison.
    DSC01853.jpg

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Side Question:
    Does or did Great Barrington, MA, have a thoroughbred race track?

Cliff Reuter and tommyc03 like this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes it did , but it seemed there were an awful lot of nags also. Henry Vara purchased the property way back with the hopes of getting the fair back and the racing covering the costs. It never passed muster because the city people had already started to move in and take over local politics. Today it is a small operation called the Great Barrington Fair Association and is used for occasional flea market days and farmers market days. A good portion of the back field now host a solar array near the Housatonic River. The Fair grounds were built on flood plain so not much else could come of the property.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I collect Wooden Nickels, there is always something new to find. Thanks for sharing yours, very nice.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@tommyc03 you were very luck to grow up in such a town. I wish more of them still existed, as well as being able to let kids go about their day without worries.

10. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

been up there many times, i even worked at the local finast (first national grocery chain in new england) , first time i went, was 8 or so, with my grandma, brrn with my parent s a few times, and when i was 16 me and a friend went there in car and found guthries" legendary "alice's resturaunt" lol great memories of a great (small) new england town

tommyc03, kountryken and Cliff Reuter like this.
  11. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread. Never been to Great Barrington specifically but have many relatives that live there.
    My father used to visit his grandparents in GB in the 20's & 30's and work at the family coal and oil business, Hull Oil. He's not with us anymore, but actually had a photo of a coal car hanging from the track way up in the air. The track was elevated to get the coal to the top of a large pile.

Another of our relatives worked at Mahaiwe Bank and their signature is on a $10 bill from 1929. (I got a replacement one for my Pops when the one he had burned up in a fire.)

Thanks for the stroll down my Dad's memory lane.

12. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Very good "trip down memory lane". I was also raised to show respect, whether it was shown to you or not! But, it was shown. People respected other people, property and country. Sadly, too much of this is in a long ago memory.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

John B. Hull is still where it's always been, at the end of Main Street and next to the RR tracks. I have gotten oil from them for over 35 years. I loved the Mahawie Bank. It was huuuuge as you walked in. Beautiful old architecture & marble floors. Here is one of several checks I have from there. Chief Mahawie of the Mohican Tribe, originally from the Stockbridge area. img933.jpg

Cliff Reuter and john65999 like this.
  14. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you are ever in GB you might be inclined to catch a live act or play at the Mahawie performing Arts Center. I watched many a movie in days gone by here. Grand restoration really brought this and it's inside architecture back to life. 1 mahawie.jpg

Cliff Reuter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted