Something ODD on this 1945 Penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by savatreatabvr, Nov 29, 2023.

1. savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr New Member

Found this wheat penny in my pocket change and upon further examination it looks like something was pushed through from the back right above 1945, but you can see from the pics that did not happen. Any ideas on what this is?
    upload_2023-11-29_17-39-53.jpeg
    upload_2023-11-29_17-41-34.jpeg
    upload_2023-11-29_17-42-9.jpeg

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think you are looking at a lamination (or delamination) where the alloy mix didn't quite mix and caused part of the solid coin to separate. Collectible but don't know how much it would be worth. Welcome to CT

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

+ 1 for Planchet Flaw, Lamination.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Definitely Plachet Lamination. Small one.

6. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Yep, delamination. A keeper.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s a small lamination. Nice find!

Nothing was pushed through from the back.

8. savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr New Member

I have a lot to learn, the shape of the flaw looks like a solid uniform object, almost like an arrowhead was pushed through. How can the alloy mix not being mixed throughly create a shape like that. Lamination, Delamination? I'm still confused.

9. Collecting Nut

Here’s one of my lamination errors. I have several but this one is the best. There are detached and retained laminations. This is obviously retained. 39F7FC3C-11AE-44B1-9CE0-10B7A9A405FD.jpeg 848D7A76-DB4B-4BE1-AD8C-53C94F403D45.jpeg

10. Collecting Nut

Here’s a different one. The lower part is detached but the upper part is retained. It would be of interest to you to research lamination errors. There are some really nice ones out there.
    D2B1EDDD-2185-49E6-825E-5A66AD324409.jpeg 13071FB6-39C9-4FEC-89D1-1ED39D7524B5.jpeg

11. savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr New Member

No kidding? I did not know they could seperate like that. Still doesn't make it valuable because it's not really considered an error is it?

12. Collecting Nut

Laminations are errors. The mint did not design the lamination and it really can’t be duplicated. Small and Large date are varieties, so are over dates.
    Laminations are unique in a way. That’s why I suggested you research them. It will amaze you on some of them. Some laminations look like damage but it’s not.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Here is a loss of lamination. If you look closely the date can still mostly be seen in the area of the loss.
    upload_2023-12-1_7-51-17.png
    And here is another. That has loss and retained laminations.
    upload_2023-12-1_7-52-14.png

Draft saved Draft deleted