Something Not Quite Right About This 1878 Sixpence. What?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, May 26, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Ok, this sixpence looks ok but something not quite right about it on the obverse, I can post the reverse if you like later. Tell me, oh readers, what do you think?

tempImageoMz9aA.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I see what you're referring to; I wonder how long before anyone else will notice?

4. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

Looks like a D instead of a B in Britanniar

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

LOL, ok no fooling you Sir! Actually a nice coin but the picture makes it look like the streetcar ran over it.....Ok then, GTG, and I assure you the lustre is most "proper".

6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

You all are awesome. Actually a 64 but sitting pretty high (so far) in the census....

8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Which would you rather have, the OP coin or this?

tempImageYOJgSe.png tempImagedejsPE.png

GTG if you like, a bit much toning but looks natural.

9. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I would prefer the OP coin because of that luster! The luster tricked me into thinking it was a 64+ ha!

I do not know this series well but I’ll gtg again anyways. I’d go MS62 on the second one.

10. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I agree on aesthetics and the 1854 is a bit dull with all of the toning. However even though both are likely as nice as you will see, it is the 1854 6d that is one of the very rarest currency issues of Victoria. It is ex-Cheshire and the best graded at the TPGs (if that means anything). It is. graded 63 but I believe if some of the toning are removed that it might also go 64 or possibly 5.

SorenCoins likes this.
  11. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  12. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

Certainly a rare Victoria silver. Similar, or rarer, silver coins that come to mind are the 1839 and 1841 half-crowns; the 1854 godless florin, the extremely rare 1847 tanner (or sixpence), and I think there's a rare threepenny bit but I can't recall the date.
    Don't mind me - I'm just jealous I haven't got anything even a quarter as good!

13. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Actually with all due respect the 1854 6d is much scarcer than the shilling of that date and about equal to the florin. They are just a bit scarcer than the 1839 half crown with all of these scarcer than the 1841. Another one you can throw up is a true uncirculated 1893 Jubilee head 6d. The 1863 florin is also in the mix and ahead of the 1841 2/6

14. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

The 1847 6d is probably the rarest EXCEPT the only known specimen is in the vf range with inscription carved into it - not known in unc.

Draft saved Draft deleted