Something I didn't know about CAC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Dec 7, 2018.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've asked JA to please explain why any coins I send him didn't sticker, (something I should have been doing all along, so I could learn). This came back today. I guess it makes sense, because eye appeal is a part of grade, but if a coin is technically an MS67.8, but it's ugly in his eyes, I suppose it still won't CAC...
    Bummer. But I just didn't know that eye appeal alone would cause an accurately graded coin to fail.
    20181207_140952.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Although I’ve seen some stickered coins that I thought looked like warmed-over death, my overall impression of CACed coins is that they are at least decent lookers.

4. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing. This ought to be a good discussion.

So could the opposite be true? A coin could bean because of its eye appeal however may not actually be strong for the grade. Seems like it could easily go both ways.

Santinidollar and C-B-D like this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I recently got an ugly coin stickered, and it isn't my first. But again, "ugly" is such a subjective thing with coins... someone else may just consider it "crusty original" or "unmessed with." Here is the one I just had CACd. It's currently at Heritage.
    20181207_150403.jpg 20181207_150339.jpg 20181207_150352.jpg

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

But I'm a crusty original, and I HAVE BEEN messed with. :troll:

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I am thinking of starting "Your Acceptance Corporation", which will also issue "beans", but in the portrait, rather than landscape orientation. Colors will be in the various hues of "the old Technicolor yawn", in honor of our acronym, YAC.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Again personal opinion not a technical grade or call.
    Just another reason to me personaly that CAC is a joke..... as everyone here has and of course are entitled to an or their opinon.
    But just like in a court of law ....your feelings as to guilt or innocence means nothing as to the hard core facts ,and evidence that supports the call either way.:cigar:
    So his opinion makes him god?

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well I’ll be darned. In my eyes, this thread contains NO ugly coins. You know what they say about opinions being like...

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Every aspect of grading involves some personal opinion. Hopefully, we are evaluating the grades ourselves before we pull the trigger. Same thing with CAC coins. Basically, my view is “OK, let’s see what you got.”

We still have the final say: whether to buy it or leave it on the table.

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This is not ugly. And it is good for the grade. The commemorative half is very ugly IMO. As you can see, eye appeal is something CAC considers but the grade must be there also. That BTW half dollar would have been "Maxed Out" as a '64 twenty years ago when I first started working at NGC! Now look at its grade.

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

There is no way this is a 64...
    DSCN9557-down.JPG

EyeAppealingCoins and Paul M. like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't Fire Until You See the Whites of Their Eyes.......

Actually, I think it should have 'stickered'.......

15. Insider

Actually there WAS. Read my post again. I was there twenty years ago. BTW, there were not many 67's around either and at the time NGC did not believe the MS-70 grade existed!

I'll repeat what I posted above in case you don't go back and read the original...Dark coins were limited to MS-64 WAY BACK THEN because the feeling was you couldn't see their surface.

Congratulations, you sure have a "gem." Nevertheless, I still don't like :vomit:very dark terminal corrosion.

PS Do this grading exercise for grins :D. Count the number of bagmarks [none are considered "miniscule" by me and one is huge] on your coin. Now look up the ANA Grading (LOL) Standards to see what is "allowed" on an MS-67. Your coin got a bump for "color." Perhaps JA also thought the coin is over graded.

16. green18

Haunches...... devil.gif

17. Insider

18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I don't think it was the "toning" that held it back from the bean, I think it is the old crusty brown thumb print left on Booker T. Washington's face. If that thumb print was not there, I believe it would have beaned. Personally when I am looking at coins, a large finger print is a big turn off for me. I've turned down some very pretty coins because of a finger print.

As far as the second coin you exampled, I find it perfectly acceptable and certainly not ugly. It's crusty and wholesome. :)

19. green18

Can we say that here (hear)? Indeed......

20. green18

I've been EDITED of late, and have been cited for it. It seems that speaking in
    tongues
    calls up the mods (special software). But, I suppose, buttocks is ok.

It is as long as you don't use asterisks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2018
  21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You very well may be right, I kind of think it was probably both. At least in my experience they can be picky on what kind of toning they do and don't like and from his picture of it I think that would fall into the don't like category

jtlee321 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted