Someone got their Dremel out.....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, May 14, 2021.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/58518/undercover-art-6-paintings-were-hiding-something
    Picasso was, however, known to recycle a canvas previously painted by either himself or someone else. I am sure there have been Picasso level paintings found in an attic somewhere and painted over by someone who did not care for such rubbish. Fads change. In the 1970's we stripped the white paint off wooden furniture to reveal the way it looked before it was painted in the 1930's. Sometimes we would strip off paint that was original and discover that different kinds of wood had been cobbled together so the piece needed to be painted. Today, white cabinets are back in style so the pieces stripped 50 years ago may be painted again. If I were to decide to be a painter, should I buy a fresh canvas at an art store for $10 or reuse one from a yard sale that cost $1? Have you heard of people finding 'old masters' at yard sales? Could I improve a previous canvas by painting over it. Probably not. Might I try? Apparently Picasso did. It is good that I do not fancy myself to be Picasso. Paintings, like coins, are cleaned, restored and improved with varying degrees of success. I trust most have seen this:
    https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/01/04/artworks-destroyed/

DonnaML and Broucheion like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

This one individual has sold about 100 tooled bronze coins in the last month. They have developed a little niche for themselves churning these things out through ebay with coins selling for between £35 and £250 each.

These must be appealing to someone out there as they are selling.

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Edward Scissorhands?

Kentucky and Nyatii like this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I love your sarcasm, and especially your use of someone else's comment to express it !!

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

tooled, smoothed and repatinaded. poor Hadrian & Diana:nailbiting:

P1170944.JPG

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Roma

Roma Active Member

New hairstyle for this commodus now in auction, many offers on it. I simply don’t understand.

76108453-A43C-43FD-94B8-F3A68EB91D5E.jpeg

8. maridvnvm

The same seller as before

Claudius

Claudius.jpg
    Claudius r.jpg

Antoninus Pius

A pius.jpg
    A pius r.jpg

Marcus Aurelius

M aurel.jpg
    M Aurel r.jpg
    MA Obv.jpg
    MA rev.jpg

Maximinus Thrax Max Piu.jpg
    Max Piu r.jpg

9. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Showing pictures of the atrocities gives us part of the sad story, but what is the seller SAYING about these pieces? Does he call it restoration, or cleaning, or reclaiming, or freshening, or what? Do his words suggest he thinks he is somehow improving on what time in the ground has done, or is he simply acting to make an ancient artifact more palatable to a disinterested modern taste? What is his angle? Is he perhaps persuaded that a modified authentic original is still authentically ancient and therefore "authentic" in what matters most to his clients?

JulesUK and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Broucheion likes this.
  11. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

They used playdough....

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I feel if you’re going to tool, at least do it well. On the bright side, the abhorrent talent of the “celator” means that none of us will be tricked...

14. maridvnvm

They are generally desribed as:-

Heavily cleaned - partially smoothed - repatinated - dark green

Original, guaranteed

DonnaML likes this.
  15. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Kind of like a Hobo Roman Coin?

Broucheion and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted