Some US VCoins dealers no longer ship to UK

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Apr 1, 2022.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

It came as a surprise to me when I found at least one US based VCoins dealer no longer shipping to the UK due to the change in Tax position post Brexit. I have bought from this dealer many times but not in the last 18 months. I went to buy a coin I had been tracking and found myself blocked at the checkout. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. They feel it has become too difficult for them to sell to the UK due to the tax legislation.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

That is too bad. Hopefully they'll get it all figured out in time.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've stopped buying overseas as a whole due to the pandemic. But that's different. Sorry to hear that, Martin.

I know my pause on overseas purchasing is one of the main reasons I don't post new purchases as often.

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Perhaps it may be time to find a trusted American friend to ship your items to before sending them across the pond.

I wouldn't mind assisting with this if necessary. Let me know and we can try to figure something out.

So sorry that is an issue you have to deal with. I know that I personally had items I couldn't get because AUS-USA shipping wasn't allowed for a bit. Not sure if that changed, but I think that was for COVID rather than the tax issue.

6. XRP

XRP New Member

Wow, very interesting!

7. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with an online bookshop based in Massachusetts: they refuse orders from foreign countries.

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I feel your pain. Free trade seems like a bad word these days.
    I bought a 1N scale weight. I think the piece is pretty neat, but hardly an important piece of someone's culture. The papers that came with the weight were interesting - exported from Turkey before June 16, 2021. It looks like if the weight was stolen before 1983 they could be shipped to me.
    1 N silver intact Nomos 3.6.2022 - obv onl.jpg
    1 N four ways.jpg
    papers for 1N silvered weight.jpg
    Coins are not the only thing that will not ship to the US. I would like a Puffin Coffee cup from Kilchoan, Ardnamurchan in the wild west of Scotland. They will not ship to the US.
    Puffin Coffee.jpg
    @maridvnvm - I'd be happy to ship you a coin and you ship me a cup.

Quant.Geek and Edessa like this.
  9. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Always a frustrating situation. I believe there's still at least one German dealer, Münzhandlung Ritter in Düsseldorf, that refuses to ship to the United States, still using the pandemic as an excuse. And yet they still send me emails with their new coin lists, which is rather annoying!

rrdenarius and robinjojo like this.
  10. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Yes I no longer buy from the UK as here I'm hit with approx 33% import taxes!...
    I think the Brits are now realising the implications of Brexit...All my family are there and all have just had notification of increases in their utilities of at least 35% on electric and gas...Yes 35%!!!..And that's minimum...
    NOTE...Just to let you all know that the transport strike here lasted around 5 hours until the drivers got hungry and needed to eat!...No effect on the postal system at all:D..I did try National postage and it arrived within its usual 3 days and also tried an EU supplier and it was here within its usual 5-7 days also a super coin arrived from the US around 14 days...

11. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Bummer!

That's interesting. I thought that the tax status of items imported from the US to the UK were not impacted by Brexit, only imports from the EU were.

12. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I've recently started ordering from London Ancient Coins, from the Uk to the U.S., with no ill effects. They also ship via the Post Office, which is a massive plus for me.

DonnaML likes this.
  13. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

The problem is that the UK now requires non-UK merchants to act as Crown tax collectors, no matter how small the transaction.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk

I believe something similar is in the works for the EU.

Even more bizarrely, Germany now requires all merchants both in and outside of Germany to register and purchase a license in order to ensure that all packaging materials are properly disposed of. Again, this applies no matter how small the merchant.

https://ecommercegermany.com/blog/t...erpackg-how-to-get-your-online-shop-compliant

Between ridiculous regulations, pandemic-related shipping issues and 'cultural property' restrictions, it just isn't worth it anymore for many smaller dealers.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Spaniard, philologus_1 and DonnaML like this.
  14. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Many thanks for all the offers of assistance, I may well take some people up on them at some point but this particular coin at this particular time is not going to be it.
    Regards,
    Martin

rrdenarius likes this.
  15. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

That stinks. I think I bought a Brutus from them around c. 2012.

Perhaps you could find an agent in Europe to be a cutoff person, to use a baseball analogy?

And that's an awesome cup, rrdenarius! I wish I could help, but I'm in the good ol' U.S.

DonnaML and rrdenarius like this.
  16. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

well thems the bricks, taxes and tarrifs suck badly

17. Macromius

Macromius Well-Known Member

I get books and medals from France quickly and no hassle! Viva la France.

Roman Collector likes this.
  18. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

So... I live in Florida and recently purchased a lot from a seller in the UK. The parcel was posted on 5/11 and arrived at the Jamaica NY International Distribution Center on 5/14. It was scanned again at Phillipsburg NJ on 11/15. So far so good.

Tonight, I finally get another USPS tracking update: "processed through a facility in MALAYSIA"!. What!?! Sure as can be, according to the Malaysia Post website, the parcel was checked into Malaysian customs for processing at 11:20am Malaysia time this morning...

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  19. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The shipment was misrouted, but you should still receive it, but it will take time. If you paid by credit card or Paypal you have a six month window to file a claim.

I had an eBay shipment once destined for my address in California from a seller in Poland, only to find out, eventually, after a delay of several month, and a refund from the seller, that it was sent to Malawi! In the case of this shipment someone put Malawi on the shipping label instead of USA (California was also missing). It even had the correct zip code, as I recall. Someone in the Malawi Postal Service must have figured out that Cupertino is in California and forwarded the package to the United States. After several months it arrived. At any rate, after its arrival I sent payment to the seller to settle things up.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  20. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

With so many good US and Canadian dealers, why bother with foreign sellers. Prices are not that much lower, if at all, and world shipping is now such a crap game that the stress of wondering if you'll even receive it is probably not worth the trouble.

21. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The problem is that dealers and auction houses in the UK and on the Continent have so many great ancient coins -- certainly a much wider selection than if one confines oneself to North America -- that it's very difficult for me to resist "rolling the dice."

philologus_1 and Raymond Houser like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted