Some tragic news; and some solace in coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks for the kind words... I still think I don't deserve this coin!! :bucktooth:

Most definitely. Julia Maesa in particular was anxious to get the worship of El-gabal out of the public eye and restore the usual Roman pantheon. It even took quite a while before Sev Alex represented Sol on his coins, so careful were they to expunge the taint. The earliest representation of Sol came in 229, and those coins are rare. So the Sun didn't make a substantial reappearance on SA's coins until 8 years after the death of Elagabalus.

Here's my earliest, from 231 (TR P X):
    Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 7.29.27 PM.jpg
    I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of others: different cart, different stone.

Here's the Stone of Emesa under Caracalla, in its proper place, the temple of El-gabal in Emesa:
    562302.jpg
    (Was Caracalla Elagabalus's father, as rumoured? Almost certainly not - probably just propaganda, as Caracalla was very popular with the army.)

I just had an encouraging conversation with the drug access coordinator at the cancer centre... the chances of getting access to burosumab are going up! So the coin is already bringing me luck. :happy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Just wanted to add that this coin is widely regarded as a fake:
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 4.05.13 PM.jpg

(If you're confused, see this thread. :D)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    thejewk, Orielensis, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted