Some tragic news; and some solace in coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Wishing you well and sending good thoughts.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I will pray for you, friend!!!!!!
    Keep up the good fight! They are discovering new treatments frequently!
    Pete

4. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say.

At times like this, collecting little pieces of metal seems pointless. At the same time it brings us all together for something important - to enjoy ourselves.

You have a huge amount of support. We're all here for you.

Severus Alexander and Alegandron like this.
  5. corvusconstantius

corvusconstantius Active Member

That is awful news. I wish you the best in overcoming this!

May you imitate Diocletian in his recovery and subsequent ability to celebrate his retirement.

[​IMG]

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am in shock to hear about this sad news, I will pray for you to get better. As desertgem stated the advancements in the CRISPR technology is something that can work miracles. You have everyone on your side in winning the fight.
    I have two coins/ one which carries your avatar/ the other of a man who faced three Empires (French/ Holy Roman and Russian) and ended up winning the "Seven Year's War". Friedrich II Der Grosse of Prussia. IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG 27707eef844cd27cf08b467e81329f81.jpg

7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I wish you luck on your battle. I've had basal cell myself and now get checked twice a year. Glad you are still purchasing coins as well.

This coin has a representation of a war elephant like the ones used at the battle of Ipsus and turned the tide of the battle against Antigonus.
    g300o.jpg
    g300r.jpg
    Seleucus I Nicator
    Apamea on the Axios
    300 to 281 BC
    Obvs: Elephant right, dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛIEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY, bridled & horned horse head left. Horizontal anchor below.
    AE 19x20mm, 8.57g
    SC 35; HGC 10, 79(R1)

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

"Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen."

My thoughts are with you and your family my friend.

Caesar_4.jpg

CAESAR DICT PERPETVO
    laureate head of Julius Caesar right

L BVCA
    Venus seated right holding Victory on extended right hand, transverse scepter in left

Struck Feb - Mar 14th, 44 BC.

3.58g

RCV 1410, RSC 24.

Venus seated' only appears on this one type of Caesar's 'lifetime' issues, on the remainder she is standing.

Lucius Aemilius Buca was a distant relative of the dictator Sulla. This coin was struck within a month of Caesar's murder.

9. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander ...I've put off posting for a while as I just didn't know what to say!?...I don't know you personally and equally have no idea what you look like, purely your avatar. I enjoy your threads immensely and have learnt a great deal from your posts, you've also often made me laugh, Thank you!..."Keep fighting", you're young and can beat this!..I really do wish you all the best!....Paul

10. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Wow, @Severus Alexander, I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Thank you for your courage to share with us the struggles that you are facing. Thank you for reaching out for support, it can be hard, but, it shows great strength.

I’m so glad to hear of this treatment and the hope that it brings. I’m praying and trusting that it will be successful!

Your wife is 100% right and it’s awesome that she supports you continuing to build your collection!

We all support it too!

I am so honoured to have coins from your collection as a part of my collection now. Thank you for the generosity and good times you share here!

The fight is going to be rough at times. But, you have tremendous strength and determination that I’m convinced will really help you along the way.

Please don’t lose your smile or laugh, they will bring comfort in the difficult times.

We are with you every step of the way. If you start to lose your way, we’ll help you stand.

Take care, my friend. Pace yourself and take many deep breaths along the way.

Thinking and praying for you and your family.

Erin

11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander, I hope it's OK if I post a second time to present a coin of your eponym, with Mars Ultor -- Mars the Avenger -- setting off to fight for him.

Severus Alexander AR Denarius 232 AD Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate and draped bust right, seen from front, IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG/ Rev. Mars Ultor (“Mars the Avenger”) advancing right in military dress, holding transverse, spear and shield, cape flying behind, MARS VLTOR. RIC IV-2 246, RSC III 161a (ill.), Sear RCV II 7882 (ill.), BMCRE 831. 20 mm., 2.91 g.

Severus alexander Mars Ultor denarius.jpg

May his fight succeed, even if the battle is long and difficult at times.

12. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about this, sending healing thoughts your way, get better...

13. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I’m very sorry to hear this and wish you the best. I am terrible at finding any words that may do anything other than show further support… but know that I’m rooting for you and am amazed by your strength. I think continuing to collect is a good thing, to keep your mind busy and allow an escape when you need one. We’re all here to chat when you need us.
    GallienusAntiochRIC632.JPG

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

2nd post for me. While I was working at my Walmart I came up with an idea. The idea was for you to set up a GoFundMe page for you to be able to continue to buy the coins you need. If you do this and post a link here on this thread... I will be the first person to donate for that cause. I am not sure if this is against the rules or not ??? I am only thinking of your well being and the good it would do for you.

Max and Gucci want to warm your heart...
    83166624_2676317432488838_7020771395667755008_o copy.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

So sad. Live the rest of your life with prayer. Jesus does save in this life and most definitely in the next life. Peace.

17. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander you have my hope for the latter of these, but in the mean time, continue to enjoy the things you get pleasure from. DSC_0039.JPG

18. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Dear @Severus Alexander, tears cloud my vision as I type this. I fought cancer myself in 1994-5, when I was 43 years old, newly married, with a 2 year old daughter as well as an 18 year old daughter who meant the world to me. No none who has not fought that battle or their families can know how scary it is. I am still here in 2021, an old and increasingly cranky 70 year old. It may be that I am about to violate the group's rules by posting a religious sentiment, but it is not meant to offend anyone, but it is a quote I carried with me during those dark days years ago and it helped me. My prayer is that it will bring you comfort and assurance as well. It is from the letter to the Philippians, 4: 6-7.

Again, everyone, please know that I do not wish to cause anyone offense by quoting it. I only want to share with another human a few lines that gave me comfort and ultimate assurance when I was a very, very scared man:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I will pray for you daily that you will find peace and comfort no matter what the future holds.
    Mike Braunlin.

19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I am totally overwhelmed by the response to my post. :bigtears: I'm sure I will treasure this thread and come back to it when I'm feeling low - it will give me strength. Thank you so much, everyone!! I will add some more individual replies as soon as I feel up to it, and have some time. Again, thank you!!!

enjoy-ancient-rome-with-eco-friendly-vehicle-segway-7-638.jpg

20. Campbell Miller

Campbell Miller Well-Known Member

I hope you are able to beat this awful disease. My father had stage 4 lung cancer and it was terrible to see him fight it. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a recovery.

21. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

You get all the kind of vibage that you can expect from here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted