Some tragic news; and some solace in coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Here's a Severus for Severus wishing for SALVIS

Carthage_40a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I will be praying for you @Severus Alexander . I am so sorry to hear the bad news. Just remember to never give up and fight like hell!

4. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Cancer is a tough one. I know first hand. My skin cancer metastasized. In April they took my nose, nasal bones and fiddled with my upper sinuses. Right now they say no sign of cancer (equate remission).
    Each day is precious. Express your love to those in your life continually. A positive attitude helps win the fight. Stay physically active by keeping up the hunt for an elusive Commodus AR Denarius or a Hadrian AE Cistophorus.

upload_2021-12-12_1-28-1.png

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Severus Alexander , thank you for your kind words, your inspiration, and the wonderful support of your family! I admire your courage, and understand the low points. But, love how you are mentally and physically taking this bull by the horns, and taking control of your destiny! I will think and pray for you and your family as you move through and defeat this crisis.

Namaste, and Kindest of Regards,
    Brian

I have chosen a couple of coins that have deeply inspired me during some deep chasms in my life.

The Roman Republic during its Darkest Hours...

Evolution of the 2nd Punic War CRISIS in a same Coin type

1) Around the Time of Cannae - SILVER

[​IMG]
    RR Anon AR Heavy Denarius -Quadrigatus - Didrachm 225-215 BCE Incuse Roma Janus Jupiter Cr 28-3 S 31

2) As Hannibal Ravages Italia and the Roman Armies - Less Silver

[​IMG]
    RR Anon AR Heavy Denarius Quadrigatus Didrachm 215-213 Janus Roma Relief tablet S 32 Cr 28-3

3) Nadir of the Republic - Scarcity of Resources - FEAR - Billon

[​IMG]
    RR 225-214 BCE Anon BILLON Heavy Denarius Quadrigatus-Janus Didrachm Janus-Jupiter galloping quadriga r 18.2mm 4-1g Cr 28-3 S 33

Suddenly, the Nadir was over... a turn in History that enabled the Romans to prevail and go on and flourish!

upload_2021-12-12_0-27-18.png
    RR
    Anon
    AR denarius
    Roma 211-206 BCE
    ROMA
    incuse Dioscuri single horn-helmet
    Sear-- Craw 68-1b

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going threw. I do not know ancient coins at all. I have enjoyed all of your posts about ancients coins. They have educated me about ancient coins. They will be on the back burner for now. I collect mostly modern world coins. You are in my thoughts and prayers. My mother passed away 2 years ago December 16th. The reason I left a "like" was to let you know that you are a big part of our CoinTalk family. I wish there was something I could do for you...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander, it feels, on my part insufficient expressing my condolences, for words are but shadows, poor substitutes of the emotions that I feel by the news of your illness. The rivers course through my mind of losses in my past, as well as your ongoing battle with cancer.

I am glad that you are still collecting. I truly believe that a sense of purpose is a strong antidote to disease, an affirmation that we have something to continue giving to our family, friends and colleagues in the journey of life.

I have always found a haven in music in times of stress, so here is one work that I hope helps.

Coins are true time travelers, spanning thousands of years in the case of ancients. What would their creators think of our times? I suspect they would be astounded!

Here's one my old timers that has kept company with me since the 1980s:

D-Camera Athens Tetradrachm, First Owl, 440-404 BC, Good VF, 5-12-20.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  8. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Dear @Severus Alexander

May Athena "Defender or Protector of the People" protect you and fight for you.

upload_2021-12-12_2-48-49.png

A.B. Brett in "ATHENA ΑΛΚΙΔΗΜΟΣ OF PELLA" (ANS Museum Notes, 1950):
    "The delightful, archaistic Athena, who appears on certain royal Greek coins, has usually been designated by numismatists as Athena Promachos or Athena Alkis. Or else she has been described non-committally as the fighting Athena, Pallas combattant, die angreifende or kämpfende Athena or Athena foudroyant (when brandishing a thunderbolt). Her true name, Alkidemos, "Defender or Protector of the People", which is unique as a divine title, is little known and her full significance as a regal coin type not widely appreciated."

- Broucheion (wish best wishes to you and your family)

9. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this, I wish you the very best in your treatments.
    Here is Spes, the goddess of hope
    2nd.jpg
    and Mars,
    ves cos6 mars.png

10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear this, @Severus Alexander. I hope that you may find comfort in the fact that from all over the world, via this forum, people are thinking of you and your family, and hoping/praying for a good treatment. Because I do, from the other side of the globe.

0.4.png

11. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander Wow, I'm so sorry to hear what you and your family are going through, and was gutted reading your post. I know people that have recovered from worse, and fully expect you to do the same.

Below are a couple of my coins that are celebrating Victories (or show Victoria). I'm guessing you will have a similar celebration when you beat this thing :D
    claudius ii victoriae gothic.png
    gallienus VICT GAL AVG.png
    gallienus victoria avg iii.png

All the best, and wishing you a speedy recovery,
    Harry

12. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

This thread is the most moving one I ever read for years. You did well to tell the board, and doing it speaks volume about the courage that is yours. Total respect. I don't know you personally but it is like I did: what you said is about yourself, but it is about every one of us as well. καὶ σύ.

13. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

This is really sad to hear. I wish you and your family the very best in these difficult times. I truly wish there was something I could do.

Here is a coin of Seleukos I, someone whose journey has always inspired me. Starting from relative obscurity, he fought misfortunes, overcame adversity and unlikely odds to emerge victoriously in the end. I sincerely wish the same for you.

Dan
    Philetai.jpg

14. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Dear SevAlex, I pray to Asclepius and Telesphorus for your recovery.
    JG

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-21 um 08.26.21.png

15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this, I hope Asclepius and Mars will help you with your battle.
    image.jpg
    image(1).jpg

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I missed this note yesterday because I was off on family business retrieving our grandson from college for winter break and, how very conveniently, getting to attend a coin show near his school. I had a great day completely free from internet and even bought my tenth coin this year so I could, in theory, have a top ten list. I am at a loss for words as are we all. All I can add is a coin from yesterday which was a bit too close to home. We all wish for the Victory for Severus Alexander:

One reason I wanted to go to this show was to see Marcella Zauche, widow of my friend and long time favorite coin show dealer Don. She is attending the shows they had already contracted and selling what is left of his stock. I probably have a couple hundred coins in my catalog listed as 'Zauche'. This will, most likely, be the last.
    Severus Alexander, AE as / VICTORIA AVGVSTI SC
    rn0345aa2428.jpg

A few more coins of Severus Alexander join here in hope of Victory.
    rn0300bb1242.jpg
    rn0340bb1368.jpg rn0360bb1764.jpg

...and a sestertius of Hope.
    rn0330bb0064.jpg

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hard to "like" such a post @Severus Alexander, but I do like how brave you are at fighting the cancer, and how thoughtful it is from you to tell us all about it, as you would do to very close friends. I feel honoured, as many others here, for what it means. Thank you from the deepest of my heart.

Here are my favorite Severus Alexander coin, and a medieval knight, ready for victory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

18. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

You are in my prayers.stay strong and God bless you and yore family!

19. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of your battle with cancer, @Severus Alexander, but I am glad that the immunotherapy has given you a respite from the pain and some cause for hope. Whether it's weeks, months or years, may the love of your family bring you peace of mind for the rest of your days.

Mars is fighting for you:
    12.jpg
    Constantine I ("the Great")
    A.D. 307-337
    Treveri (Trier) mint, A.D. 307-308
    RIC 776
    Obv: IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    Rev: MARTI PATRI PROPVGNATORI - Helmeted Mars, with spear and shield
    PTR in exergue; S in left field, A in right
    26 x 24 mm, 6.5 g.

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm so very sorry about your diagnoses @Severus Alexander. Life is a wonderous thing, full of all the emotions that make us who we are. I'm praying for strength for both you and your family, and I'm praying for a much longer life for you. However, I also have to believe that this life we live is not the be all, end all. I believe there is something waiting for us all when this body is no more. Our lives are defined by finite moments and maybe yours is slightly more finite than others, but you still have the opportunity to experience what is remaining. Just appreciate every moment you can.

I am a Christian. I believe in the promises and I believe God can intervene. You and your family will be in my prayers every day.

21. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

It is very hard to find the right words in reply to your post, @Severus Alexander. I can barely imagine how difficult it must have been to write this, and I greatly admire your courage, humor, and resolve in dealing with this terrible diagnosis. It's good to hear that you are reacting well to immunotherapy and haven't given up the things that you enjoy. My good wishes and thoughts are with you and your family.

The coin below came from your first AMCC auction. Its reverse shows Salus, the personification of health. May it help you to fight this illness!
    Rom – Hadrian, As, Salus.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted