Some tragic news; and some solace in coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Dec 11, 2021.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am sorry to hear that was diagnosed. I have never smoked because of a genetic factor that altered lung cellls to a cancerous situation. I have lost 7 out of 8 Uncles and 3 out of 4 brothers to lung cancer. I found this article recently and saved it just
    in case for my family. I do not know if it is relative to yours, but maybe the doctor would know of some of the possible studies going on in your area or the US. It is probably several years in the future for most, but one never knows if they got real lucky. CRISPIR has greatly increased studies as it was used to identify infectious disease viruses recently and the antibody treatments to treat them. Best to you!!
    Jim
    https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2020/crispr-cancer-research-treatment

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your health conditions.
    Very hard to bear, but please do not lose hope.

Severus Alexander and panzerman like this.
  4. Di Nomos

Di Nomos Well-Known Member

Very sad news, wish you all the best. Sounds like you have a great family to support you through this.

And a wife that encourages you to continue collecting coins........wanna swap ;)

And here's a coin from Akanthos in Macedon with a lion attacking a bull. Seems inevitable that the lion will win, but that bull is tough and determined and won't give in without a hell of a fight. Hope you like it.

Akanthos Tetradrachm.png

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander, I am so sorry to hear your sad news, which must have been very difficult to write about so publicly. But I'm glad that you're feeling positive now, and that there haven't been any side-effects from the immunotherapy, and, of course, that you've decided to continue to collect coins and take enjoyment from doing so. My thoughts will be with you and your family.

Here are a couple of my favorite victorious Roman horsemen, defeating barbarians -- and cancer is definitely a barbarian!

Sergius Silus R1.jpg

Crawford 429-1 - Fonteius Capito  my copy - photo from 2019 Roma Numismatics auction.jpg

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Not an ancient but a cool coin nonetheless—commemorating the heroic defense of Thermopylae by Leonidas and his soldiers.

LEONIDAS.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  7. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Sad to hear of your situation, Severus Alexander. My thoughts go out to you as you battle this insidious disease. In the mean time, Carpe Diem - pivotal life events like this really reframe our perspective, but also remind us to enjoy every moment of life we can.

8. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander, like others I was uncertain if I should "like" your post or not but in the end I decided to "like" it. Please understand it in terms of "I support you". It sounds like you have a wonderful family, so you have done well so far. Continue to fight the good fight. I'm glad you decided to keep collecting. Life is pointless without enjoyment. If buying coins make you happy, you deserve it.

May the gods be on your side.

athens tetradrachm obv small.jpg athens tetradrachm rev small.jpg

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Courage and encouragement go hand and hand. You have both, God bless!

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Like everyone else here, Sev, I'm hoping that your treatments are going to help you beat this thing. Our coins so often show "heroes" on them, but to me, you're one in real life, for so admirably continuing to share your warmth, positivity, and inimitable humour with all of us despite the hell you've been going through.

I was very glad when I saw that you were keeping your coin collecting fire burning, and am heartened to read about how it helped bring joy and hope back to you. I now also feel a little less bad about having (unwittingly) stolen that Thasos trihemiobol from you at auction. :shy::D

Here's my favorite Severus Alexander... martial and ready for the fight on one side, and peaceful, meditative and bucolic on the other...

Severus Alexander - Alexander Troas 2017 newest.jpg SEVERUS ALEXANDER
    AE24. 6.97g, 24.6mm. TROAS, Alexandria Troas, 222-235 AD. RPC Online Vol. VI temp #3994; cf. Bellinger A338 (obv A338, rev A225 Type 44). O: IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust left, holding spear & shield decorated with head of Medusa. R: COL AVG, horse grazing right, the herdsman Ordes behind holding pedum (shepherd's crook), tree to left, TROAC in exergue.

11. martybox

martybox Member

Not a collector of ancient coins but do know that miracles DO occur in modern times-I hope you will benefit from one

Severus Alexander and panzerman like this.
  12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

My sincere good wishes to you and your family. You have shared your cancer diagnosis with grace and openness. You have allowed us to enter into your battle. I am adding you and your family to my morning prayers. Hang in there!

Steve

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thank you all for the kind words, wishes, and support... they mean so much to me right now!! :bigtears::shame: With even a few modern collectors chiming in... almost makes me feel bad for having taken the occasional pot shot at them! :shy:

There are so many fabulous fighter coins to help me on my journey: Perseus from @ambr0zie, Victories from @Carl Wilmont and @furryfrog02, bestiarii from @AncientJoe (wow!), Sev Alex Jupiter and Mars from @Shea19 and @maridvnvm; victorious cavalry from furryfrog, @kirispupis, and @DonnaML (love that Fonteius, Donna!); the ultimate badass Antigonos Monopthalmos from kirispupis, a JC from @Cherd, Athena from @savitale, a martial Sev Alex from @zumbly, and a mighty bull from @Di Nomos (another real wow! coin).

@Deacon Ray, if the cancer takes me out eventually I hope I go like Leonidas! (Though Leonidas lost. As Norm Macdonald said, since the cancer gets snuffed along with me, it would surely be a tie! :hilarious:) I can't think of a better coin for this thread than @TIF's ex-x6 hoplite, and @Ryro will even permit me to acquire a couple of MSC's... now that is real caring right there folks! And more, too: medical coins from furryfrog and @Andres2, two beautiful fortifying poems from @cmezner (is that second one the origin of "carpe diem"?), and some much-needed meditation from @zumbly. @Curtisimo, I feel the same about you, buddy; and @zumbly, I forgive you for the Thasos. ;)

It occurs to me that some of you might have mixed feelings about my news. After all, some coveted coins will probably be coming to market in advance of expectations! Well... not before time, you varmints! :jimlad::p

Back to being serious, though... thank you, thank you, thank you all... it was a hard post to write, but you have come through for me and I'm so very grateful to you all. Onward!

Here's a recent key coin I acquired. I'd been missing a Quietus for ages and ages despite bidding on dozens. Finally I ponied up what it takes for a Roma example, which I'm extremely happy with:
    quietus.jpg

14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm so sorry, @Mat... I'm thankful COVID hasn't put too much of a wrench in the works for me, and your mention of new treatments coming out gives me hope, of course. So sorry it didn't work out for your mom. :(

Speaking of new treatment! My oncologist has sent off a tissue sample for a new genetic analysis that can pinpoint specific genetic changes in my cancer cells, which can potentially be targeted by new treatments. I don't know if CRISPR is involved, but maybe somewhere down the line! (BTW, @desertgem, didja catch the pleading about stevex6? Would be great to have him back... and I hereby play the cancer card to help do so! ;))

It's so encouraging to hear stories like this, thank you. And go, @John Anthony!!

I think you're quite right. :cigar: Thanks for noticing, @Ryro! (Others: the cancer obviously dominates our thoughts here, but if you want to compliment my JC lifetime portrait denarius I wouldn't be averse to that. :woot:)

15. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander, very sorry to hear what you are going through. This coin came to mind as Mithridates tried to remove him from his throne at least three times, and with a bit of help from his friends he kept coming back and reigned for 32+ years. Best wishes.
    Ariobarzanes I Philoromaios.jpg

17. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

It was used by Horace (Q.Horatii Flacci) in Carmina Hor. c.1,11, in the poem "To Leuconoe: Carpe diem" and the phrase is usually attributed to him, although I understand that about the carpe diem teaching has been written before Horace, by the Greeks.

The poem is dedicated to Leuconoe, the white tree nymph. Don't know if there are coins with this nymph, that would be nice. Will share a coin of a different nymph, Histiaia, not a goddess but a personifications of nature.

These coins were minted for very long time, nearly 200 years, which is why they are so plentiful and cheap, and for some reason this type is a particularly popular one to fake, most fakes coming from Bulgaria.

AR Tetrobol, Roman military mint in Macedonia c. 168 BC (?)
    13.5 mm, 2.03 g
    SNG Copenhagen 517.1; BMC 99;

Obv.: Head of nymph Histiaia right, wearing necklace, vine-wreath
    Rev.: (IΣTIAI) / EΩN, Nymph Histiaia seated on stern of galley decorated with wing, holding stylis

upload_2021-12-11_21-43-29.png upload_2021-12-11_21-43-42.png

18. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Trajan never backed away from a fight and I know you won't either....

upload_2021-12-11_23-21-52.png
    upload_2021-12-11_23-25-19.png

19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I am so sorry to hear this news Sev! Of course we are all wishing you the best of luck fighting back!

Med-15-Boh-1198-Přemysl Ottokar I-D-B-22-6.jpg Bohemia
    Přemysl Ottokar I, r. 1192-3, 1197-1230 (1198-1230)
    AR Denar, 18.70 mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: + VSCES[…]VM. Winged figure/angel r. holding lance fighting a dragon
    Rev.: +SCS NSN. Bust of Ottokar facing with raised hands between two towers of a stylized building
    Ref.: Frynas B.22.6 (This coin depicted), De Wit 2764 (this coin), Lanz Graz XIII, 465 (this Coin), (Cach 659, Šmerda 296)
    Ex. Richard A. Jourdan Collection, Ex. Prof. G.W. De Wit Collection, Ex. Marquis von Hohenkubin Collection
    Note: Issued as King of Bohemia, beginning the hereditary line of Bohemian kings

and since it seems appropriate, Here is my only Severus Alexander:
    Anc-10b-R4-k0222-Severus Alexander-TET-Alexandria-8127.jpg
    Roman Egypt
    Severus Alexander, r. 222-235 A.D. (222-3)
    Alexandria Mint, BL Tetradrachm, 24.55 mm x 12.58 grams
    Obv.: A KAI MAP AYP CEYHP AΛEΞANΔPOC CEB, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak, L - B (regnal year 2)
    Ref.: SRCV 8127

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Those are some lovely coins, @Severus Alexander, and I'm happy they bring you joy and hope.

Here are coins depicting every healing deity I have in my collection: Apollo, Asklepios, Hygieia/Salus, Telesphoros, and even Glykon!

I value our online friendship and everything you do for our online community. Know that you are in our collective thoughts and prayers.

[​IMG]
    Troas, Alexandria, 3rd-2nd c. BC.
    Greek Æ 13.5 mm, 2.20 g, 11 h.
    Obv: Laureate head of Apollo, right.
    Rev: AΛEΞAN above horse grazing left, monogram beneath, thunderbolt in exergue.
    Refs: Sear 4028; BMC 17.10,18-20; SNG Cop 81-82; SNG von Aulock 7546.

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
    Roman Provincial Æ 27.2 mm, 8.75 g, 6 h.
    Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior, Legate Um(brius?) Tereventinus, AD 226-227.
    Obv: AVT K M AVP CEVH AΛEZANΔPOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: HΓ ȢM TEPEBENTINOV MAPKIANOΠOΛIT-ΩN, Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent staff.
    Refs: AMNG I 1027; Moushmov 696; Varbanov 1685 (same dies).

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, with Tranquillina, A.D. 238-244
    Roman provincial AE 4.5 assaria, 12.80 g, 28.2 mm, 7 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Tomis, A.D. 241-244.
    Obv: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC // CABINIA TPA / NKVΛΛINA, confronted laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right and diademed, draped bust of Tranquillina left.
    Rev: MHTPOΠON-TOV TOMEΩC, Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent from patera; Δ< (ligate) in lower left field.
    Refs: AMNG I (Pick) 3534.

[​IMG]
    Elagabalus, AD 218-222.
    Roman provincial Æ assarion, 2.36 g, 16.1 mm, 12 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, AD 218-222.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑVΡ ΑΝΤΩΝΙΝΟC, laureate head, right.
    Rev: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, Telesphoros standing facing, wearing hooded cloak.
    Refs: AMNG I 910; Varbanov 1421-22; Moushmov 652; SNG Budapest 191.

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman provincial Æ 27.1 mm, 12.33 g, 9 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Sabinius Modestus, legatus consularis, AD 241-244.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ΥΠ CΑΒ ΜΟΔЄCΤΟV ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛЄΙΤ | ΩN ΠPOC ICTP, Nimbate figure of snake-god Glycon, coiled in two coils, rising up, head right.
    Refs: Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2018) 8.36.22.4 (same dies); Varbanov 4146; Moushmov 1488; Mionnet Suppl. 2, 708; AMNG --; BMC --; Lindgren --; Sear --.

21. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Again, sorry to hear about your situation, @Severus Alexander.
    Here is a coin with a fighting scene, and another one on Salus (healing).

Hercules is fighting hard:
    =025j.jpg Maximianus
    A.D. 289
    Silvered Antoninianus
    Obv: IMP C MAXIMIANVS P AVG; radiate, helmeted, & cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VIRTVTI AVGG; Victory flying right, crowning Hercules, strangling lion, club thrown behind him.
    RIC Vii Lyons 462

Salus:
    =025m.jpg
    HADRIAN. 117-138 AD. Ae Sestertius
    Rome mint. 134-138 AD.
    Obv: Laureate head right
    Rev: Salus standing and feeding out of patera snake arising from altar.

Draft saved Draft deleted