Some tragic news; and some solace in coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Dear Coin friends,

This post has been a long time coming, both because it’s hard to write and because I don’t like to impart sorrowful news to our wonderful board. But as the holiday season approaches, I think I’d benefit a lot from my coin buddies’ support. (For the purposes of this post, let’s say that a “like” is equivalent to the “caring” reaction on Facebook. Otherwise those likes could be kinda awkward, I know!)

The sorrowful news is hard to sugarcoat: I have terminal stage IV cancer. It turns out that a generally benign type of skin cancer – basal cell carcinoma, probably many of you have had one – can metastasize (i.e. travel within the body) on very rare occasions, and I’m one of the unlucky ones. The spectre of this possibility first raised its ugly head in July, when I had a bone scan to investigate some recent pain I’d been experiencing. The scan showed evidence of bone metastases, which are very bad news - basically incurable. This was confirmed by a bone biopsy the following month.

For a month or two, beginning not long before AMCC 3 closed, my life took on a nightmarish quality as I tried to assimilate the horrific facts. I, barely 50 years old with a loving wife and teenaged kids, was going to have to say goodbye to them, to all my family and friends, to everything. Needless to say it was not easy, but it’s amazing what the human mind do in the way of accommodating to a new reality. I also had help from family and friends, and from a few people here who were aware of my predicament - thanks especially to @TIF and @zumbly. The nightmarish quality of every waking minute receded, and while there was and still is plenty of sorrow, some joy returned to my world.

One of those joys is my coin collection. Sometime in August I mentioned to my wife that there didn’t seem much point adding more coins to my collection any more, so I’d devote my coin time only to organizing, writing, and labeling, getting things ready to sell. She broke down crying, as did I. (How many of you can claim your spouse cried and cried when you said you weren’t going to buy any more coins? :D) She made me realize that I should continue to do the things that bring me joy, and building my collection is certainly one of those things! So I relented, and my life improved. Continuing to collect is a manifestation of hope.

Hope is an important thing. My pain increased quite a bit from September through November, and I had a few weeks of absolute hell brought on by a simple cold. It took a while to nail down the ID on my cancer, because bone samples are hard to read. But now I’m receiving immunotherapy treatment (second treatment earlier this week, no side effects yet!), which holds the promise of extending my life many months and possibly years. There’s even an outside chance, very low but not zero, that I could beat this thing. I will certainly be fighting it with all I’ve got, just like stevex6 has, and he is still with us (though sadly no longer part of our board. Bring him back, mods, we miss him terribly!)

Now for some coins. I think I’ll use this thread to post additions to my collection that I regard as important milestones for completeness. Some of you might recall my 500 BCE to 500 CE checklist, I still have plenty of holes to fill there; and there are other milestone coins on my wishlist that I hope will eventually appear below. My earliest collecting theme was Roman-Byzantine history, and there are just 15 coins remaining that I think are essential to sort-of “complete” that part of my collection. (I lack only 7 emperors I deem essential: Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger, Balbinus, Pupienus, Marius, Michael IV, and John V Palaeologus.) Unfortunately my collection covering 500-1500 CE will have to remain somewhat sketchy, but I’ll still be working on it. Wish me luck!

The most important coin I’ve added recently is this portrait denarius of Julius Caesar (my quickie cell phone shot doesn’t really do the coin justice):
    caesar portrait.jpg
    After having sold my previous example in AMCC1 (I really wanted a portrait JC in that sale!) I was beginning to despair of replacing it with a reasonably priced example with a nice portrait. I was overjoyed to snag this one for only 640 euros in October.

One other coin I’d like to show is this dichalkon from the city of Cherson in the Tauric Chersonesos, c. 350-330 BCE:
    hoplite.jpg
    Obv: Artemis Parthenos driving quadriga to right, holding torch in her right hand and reins in left. Rev: XEP Hoplite, nude but for conical helmet, crouching left, wearing round shield on his left arm and holding spear in his right hand. HGC 3.2, 2080. SNG BM Black Sea 734. From the Pontos Euxeinos Collection.

This was one of the last coins I bought before we were certain I had cancer, and it has come to symbolize to me my fight against the disease. I love the depiction of the hoplite.

Please post your coins depicting fighters, or issued by those who fought against the odds (Julius Caesar being a prime example)!

P.S. I welcome your pm’s, but I can’t promise to respond quickly. For my own mental health, I need to pace myself when writing about my cancer. I’ve tried very hard to not let it take over my life and dominate my thoughts, with considerable success. Even if I don’t reply right away, know that I appreciate your kind words so very much! And thanks to all of you for enriching my life over the past few years… and hopefully for a few years – or more – yet to come.

aleppo, Andres2, ede1964 and 178 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

@Severus Alexander , i cannot "like" your post because it made me extremely sad.
    I wish you all the best and hope you will post soon another thread mentioning that you are cured.
    Here is my Perseus defeating Medusa
    upload_2021-12-11_23-57-0.png

aleppo, Edessa, ycon and 25 others like this.
  4. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this news. Here's Victory inscribing a shield- praying you'll be able to write of a victorious recovery!

upload_2021-12-11_15-0-12.jpeg

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sorry to hear about the news. Many here know I lost my mom last april *2020* to liver cancer & my dad just had some moles with cancer removed a few days ago, which he's been dealing with for decades.

Cancer just sucks & hopefully you just might be able to beat this thing.

If my mom had lived 2 more months, there was a new treatment made available for her liver & we probably would have had the transplant in Az. We were all packed and ready, but Covid ruined it.:mad::mad:

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a tough road to haul and hopefully the new therapy will work. I fought a life-threatening and largely fatal illness starting at the age of 46. Still fighting 12 years later. It can be done.

7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your battle but it is very reassuring that you will continue to collect and find joy in coins! Your strength is admirable and your contributions here are much appreciated. Myself and all of your other coin friends are here to support in any way we can.

As for coins depicting fighters, here's a denarius which just arrived depicting a battle scene. Substitute the animals for cancer cells and this represents the epic conquest your body will fight to win!

Regulus.jpg

Edessa, Voldemort, eparch and 32 others like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Dear Sev,

I know how hard it must've been to write this... to put it out there for all to know, hammering home again this new reality, making it fresh again. You've told you story so eloquently and I'm glad your coin friends will have the opportunity to show their support.

There is certainly hope that you will be a treatment success story for this zebra of a cancer. So glad to hear you're tolerating the treatments!

Looking forward to continuing our coin camaraderie as usual :).

Since you seem to be a nude mood, here's another hoplite and it's an ex-Steve. BTW, I completely agree with your sentiments about Steve. I miss him on the board and keep in touch with him by email regularly.

[​IMG]
    MYSIA, Kisthene
    Orontes, satrap of Mysia, c. 357-352 BCE
    AR Half Siglos or Tetrobol; 13 mm, 2.75 gm
    Obv: Nude hoplite crouching left behind shield, spear at ready
    Rev: Forepart of winged boar right
    Ref: Troxell, Orontes 4; SNG France 1164A (Lampsakos); SNG von Aulock
    Very rare.
    ex X6 Collection

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I'm so sorry for you and your family's situation.
    Keep that hope kindled and do the things that bring you joy (that means buy LOTS of, non MSC;), coins...OK, OK you can buy a couple MSCs).
    Your contributions to me personally, as well as this forum, have been immense and I've looked up to and appreciate all you've done for years now.
    When I first found this strange place I was just using it as a place to get help identifying scrubby coins from lots that I'd buy off of fleebay. And then one day, a super nice dude, had a coin giveaway contest and I won:woot:
    Screenshot_20200920-200044_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    It was hands down the most cherry coin in my collection up to that point and probably still is my nicest LRB.
    When I realized I could up my game and enjoyment of the hobby looking for quality coins instead of just the cheapest of a type, I was hooked. And my contributions to CT went up immensely. I started researching on my own and appreciating this hobby of kings:pompous:
    I couldn't be more grateful to that kind individual's generosity. *Spoiler alert. It was @Severus Alexander
    I'm so glad to read that you have a fighting:punch: chance and will always be in your corner:)
    On to your coins...
    Ummm, you stole that beauuuuuutiful Caesar denarius :cigar:
    simpsons-dreamy.gif
    Mine will be a good way for folks to gage how sweet yours is:
    2332875_1636126460.l-removebg-preview (1).png

And the image of the crouched hoplite is magnificent!

This message sent with loads of love and support.

All my very best,

Ryan

10. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that my friend. Breaks my heart that you and your family are going through this. Wishing you all the strength in the world as you battle this, and praying for a full recovery.

As for a “fighting” coin of support, here’s a denarius of your “namesake” Severus Alexander with a fierce-looking Jupiter wielding a thunderbolt.
    3C1C0A0C-0183-4964-B010-F1F4614117E0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Sev,

You are my friend and your friendship has been one of the most rewarding things about participating in this hobby. You have been one of the biggest influences on my collection and your generosity and kindness are clear for anyone to see... and if I can tell all of that from knowing you through a coin forum I can only imagine what your family and the people around you every day must think about you.

I am glad that you have decided to continue collecting. As you have been struggling with this news and away from posting over the last year CT had felt like it was missing something.

Here is a coin from your collection that I received several years ago during one of your give aways. I enjoy it especially because it came from your collection... tag and all.
    857C3A0E-0515-4A2E-BABD-CA4E4598AF1E.jpeg

Hang in there buddy. I’ll be hoping and praying that anything and everything that can go right for you in this struggle will go right. I’m definitely here for you if you need anything my friend.

12. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@Severus Alexander I can only say as @ambr0zie that I cannot "like" your OP, but as I was reading it I remembered a poem by Mario Benedetti:

Don't give up, you still have time
    to reach up and start anew,
    Accept your shadows,
    Bury your fears,
    Free your burdens,
    Fly again.

Don't give up, that's what life is
    Continue the journey,
    Follow your dreams,
    Unstuck time,
    Move the rubble,
    And uncover the sky.

Don't give up, please don't give way,
    Even if the cold burns,
    Even if fear bites,
    Even if the sun sets,
    And the wind goes silent,
    There is still fire in your soul
    There is still life in your dreams.

And a Latin poem that starts
    "Leuconoe, do not ask the gods - knowledge is a curse -
    what time they have designated for me, for you.
    Do not ask for Babylon's meaningful advice
    <....>
    Do not imagine the tomorrow ,
    Seize the day

Here is the Latin text:

Tu ne quaesieris, scire nefas,
    quem mihi, quem tibi finem di dederint,
    Leuconoe, nec Babylonios
    temptaris numeros.

Ut melius, quidquid erit, pati!
    seu pluris hiemes seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
    quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare
    Tyrrhenum: sapias, vina liques, et spatio brevi
    spem longam reseces.

Dum loquimur, fugerit invida
    aetas: carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

The chance of beating the disease will continue to increase and you will continue the fight.

13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I wish you and your family the strength to fight your way through this. I have been touched by your generosity of thought and in coins over the years.

Severus Alexander and Mars to help you with your battles.

[​IMG]

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

While I will admit, I am entirely bummed out by your post. By the end, the strength of your character and resolve gave me hope for a positive outcome in your situation. You have been incredibly kind and provided so much knowledge to those of us here at CT. I think I speak for everyone here when I say "Thank you" and "Kick this thing's butt" We are all rooting for you.

Now for the coins. I couldn't pick just one so I picked a few that represent my hopes for you.

Asklepios: For health and medicine. May your treatments bring you better health.
    Pergamon Mysia, AE15, Asklepios and Staff.png
    Pergamon, Mysia
    AE14
    200-30 BC
    Obverse: Bearded head of Asklepios right
    Reverse: AΣKΛHΠIOY ΣΩTHΡOΣ, Serpent-entwined staff of Asklepios

A Roman soldier fighting (and winning) a fallen horseman.
    Constantius II, AE2, FEL TEMP REPARATIO, CONSA.png
    Constantius II
    AE2
    351-355 AD
    Obverse: DN CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman who is wearing a Phrygian helmet, no beard, clutching horse's neck, Γ left, dot in centre.
    Mintmark CONSA

Lastly, a coin of your namesake with a triumphant Victory on the reverse depicting my hope for a positive outcome.
    Severus Alexander, AE25, Thessalonica Macedonia, Nike.png
    Severus Alexander
    AE25
    222-235 AD
    Thessalonica, Macedonia
    Obverse: M AYR AΛEΞANΔΡOC KAICAR, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: ΘECCAΛONIKEΩN, Nike walking left, holding Kabeiros and palm branch

Best of luck to you and the Frog family is wishing you the best.

15. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

What a sad message Severus Alexander, put your hope in that immunotherapy and trust in modern health care.
    P1240123 best.JPG

16. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

I've never been the best for words, but I hope you find encouragement in this guy.

Antigonos took an arrow through the eye in battle and grew to be such a badass that Kassander, Lysimachos, Seleukos, and Ptolemy had to combine forces to take him down. He finally died in battle - at age 81.

331A1237-Edit.jpg
    Antigonos I Monophthalmos
    Antigoneia 305-300 BCE
    28mm 16.33g
    Head of young Herakles facing right, wearing a lion's skin. / ALEXANDPOY, Zeus enthroned left, holding an eagle and a sceptre, X on left, M on right, Ph below throne.
    Price 3195, Müller 804
    Ex Mike Vosper
    Here's another angle.

The guy on the ground is cancer (yes, in this case cancer may be Macedonian) and you're the guy (Paeonian cavalry) on the horse.

331A1887-Edit.jpg
    Kings of Paeonia, Patraos
    AR Tetradrachm 12.46g, 24mm, 1h.
    Uncertain Paeonian mint (Astibus or Damastion?) circa 335-315 BCE
    Laureate head of Apollo to right / Warrior on horse rearing to right, spearing enemy who defends himself with raised shield; bukranion to left, ΠATPAOY (retrograde) around.
    Paeonian Hoard I, 227 (same dies).
    Ex Roma

17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I am unfamiliar with ancients and the crowd which enjoys them, but I am so glad I took the time to read your post. It reminds me how fortunate I am. No . . . how fortunate we are.

Battle hard, and enjoy your family, your friends, and your collection on the way to victory.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So sorry to hear this, but hang on... who knows what may happen. My son-in-law was diagnosed with late-onset leukemia at 29 years old. After 2X chemo, 1X full-body radiation and a bone-cell transplant from his brother he is fine. I wish the same good health for you.

19. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry to hear this :(.

It’s hard to express in words but I can say I will pray for you and your family.

20. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

That is tragic news indeed, so sorry to hear that you and your family are having to deal with one of life's painful, random curve balls.

Just so happens that my most recent acquisition was a Julius Caesar portrait denarius. I've really wanted one for quite a while, but I've found that it hasn't brought me the satisfaction that I was expecting. That is because, since purchasing the coin, I've only focused on the off-center strike, the fact that half of the reverse is missing, and that I probably paid way to much for the thing.

I only bring all of that up because, after reading about your situation, and your bringing up JC coins, it immediately occurred to me that my emotional perspective toward this coin was a bit ridiculous. It sucks that we perpetually need reality checks to keep our priorities, perspective, and appreciation in check, but I guess that's just our nature :banghead:

image001.png

21. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

@Severus Alexander I am so sorry to hear about your situation and what you are going through. It's truly heart breaking and I can't imagine it, both for you and your family. You have a very great attitude despite everything and I believe there's just as much value in that as in the treatments. I will certainly pray for you and your family, both for healing and for peace despite the situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted