Some results of my last CRH attempt five years ago

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Just dug up and dusted off these old pix and spreadsheets on Collectors Universe.

Man, apparently I had way too much time on my hands back then! LOL

Anyway, just for fun, here are my (long-bygone) CRH results from the last time I took the effort to do it.

(Subsequent text copied-and-pasted from old CU thread.)

Batch 1 results.

Batch 1 was 14 rolls (560 coins) hunted on 2/17/12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the sorting tray I equipped myself with. It's got 36 adjustable compartments and cost me something like four bucks at Wal-Mart. They have 'em in the hardware section and in with the fishing tackle and maybe in the Crafts section, too. Note how I aligned the stickers facing the rear of the box instead of the front. This enables me to use the lid as a sorting tray. 36 slots was just right for one per year going back to 1961, which is just about where the two folders divide. I bought another box like this for sorting the earlier coins but then I realized I wasn't going to find that many earlier pieces, and the one slot at the top left suffices for all 1938-60 coins found in a particular batch.

[​IMG]

Here's how the folders looked after the first batch.

[​IMG]

Batch 2 results.

Batch 2 was 15 rolls I bought from the safe at the hotel where I work.

In the second roll I hunted, there was a pleasant surprise!

[​IMG]

There were some other goodies, too. No War nickels yet, but I was pleased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mad Stax and dwhiz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Interesting

4. lordmarcovan

Mildly interesting, perhaps, but I think I overdid it a tad with the spreadsheets. Haha.

I've still got those folders, though. Maybe I should get another batch of nickel rolls. Nickels always gave me the best luck. I hit a motherlode of black, scuzzy War nickels once. Like four rolls' worth! The coins were gunky with some kind of oily residue, as if they'd been in the bilge of an old boat. But at face value, I couldn't complain.

I used to find War nickels regularly in the 1990s. Got some clipped-planchet coins, too, including one with a double clip. And a Gem BU 1940-P Jeff mixed in with (and better looking than) the then-new 1992 coins that made up most of the rest of the roll! I don't have any idea how that one snuck in there. It had nearly Full Steps, too.

My wife found some blank cent planchets in a roll, once.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I must agree

6. lordmarcovan

I get a little bogged down in minutiae at times... ;)

7. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Always a rush plucking a buffalo nickel from the wild! Especially when you don't have to pickle it to uncover the date.

Draft saved Draft deleted