Some Purchases from NYINC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Terence Cheesman, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

As noted elsewhere I did rather poorly at the auctions but I had a few successes on the bourse floor. I have some others coming eventually but here are four that I did bring back with me 2176751.jpg Aureus of Tiberius RIC 29 Rv Seated Pax 7.79 grms 18mm This one is likely minted late in his reign. 6486506.jpg Augustus Denarius RIC 4b Emerita Mint Rv Trophy 25-23 B.C. 3.85 grms 18 mm 5805097 (1).jpg Tetradrachm of Ainos Obv Head of Hermes Rv Goat with ? plant Obv is May Group 29 Rv is May Group 39 This coin seems to mark the end of the coinage using the trisiglos standard and those issued at the Chian Standard. This coin weighs 16.72 grms which is the earlier Tri Siglos standard is probably minted from 405-402 B.C. 22 mm R032LG (1).jpg Galba Sestertius Rv. Pax seated left. RIC 339. This is actually my favorite obverse die of this series. 68 A.D. 25.40 grms 32 mm.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow, some stunning coins. Love the tetradrachm.

nicholasz219 and Ed Snible like this.
  4. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Holy guac! Such a nice nice aureus. I'm so jealous! And while I don't know much about Greek coins that is one sweet whatever it is. It's the kind of coin I wish I had in my wallet to show others about ancient coins.

Seriously impressed, tip o' the hat!

Rasiel

5. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins! That Aureus is amazing. I also like that Galba, it have a beautiful portrait.

6. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Congratulations! The ainos is coming from a recent Roma auction and Lanz sold one some years ago. I have seen this plant but unfortunately can't recall the name. Edit: here is the lanz coin, the plant is certainly not the one he described https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1611491

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice captures! Well done!

9. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Beautiful high end examples all.

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would say, you did extremely well. The Tiberius aureus is stunning!
    John

11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

If this is a poor outcome I'd LOVE to see an auction that you had a great outcome!
    All wonderful coins. Thanks so much for sharing.

12. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

It was fun meeting at the show.
    You have some great finds. My favorite is the Tiberius.
    I picked up some interesting buttons too.
    20200125_163510[1].jpg

Johndakerftw and panzerman like this.
  13. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Wonderful purchases all around! And on the Ainos, it's cataloged as an "ear of barley with long stem in right field" although it looks almost silphium-esque.

I think it'd be worth looking through catalogs for the Tiberius as the patina looks like it's been in older collections for a while. And, having seen it in-person, these images don't remotely do it justice.

panzerman and rrdenarius like this.
  14. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic acquisitions! The Ainos is stunning :wideyed:. What a regal portrait of Galba!

Draft saved Draft deleted