Some of my new World Note purchases from Coinfest!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Billy Kingsley, Oct 25, 2009.

1. I may have mentioned that I purchased a few new World notes at CoinFest. I actually purchased quite a bit. Let's just say my world collection was at 13 notes and is now at 50 ;) I love dollar bins. I love 2 for a dollar bins even more. It is hard to believe that these world notes sell for such a pittance. Not that I am complaining.
    Since I started collecting notes I have focused mainly on notes of the USA- I certainly do like them, but also because I have access to them and I have at least a basic working knowledge of them (which has since been expanded exponentially, although what I don't know still greatly outweighs what I do know!)
    Anyway, now that I have gotten the chance to see some world notes in person, I am hooked. Now I have something new to think and learn about. I'm still mostly clueless so I don't know too much and I will have to ask some questions about them (notes I have questions on will be in another thread)
    Here are some of my new additions...I might hold some back and post at a later date, I'll decide as I go :)
    This note, a 1992 Belarus 50 Kopeks was my #1 most wanted world note. As might be obvious (see avitar) I love squirrels. A squirrel note is a must have, and now...I have it! Granted, I've never seen a pink squirrel in person, but beggars can't be choosers :) One thing that makes this note and the three other Belarus notes I purchased (all at 50 cents each) is that my great-great grandparents on my father's side were from what would eventually become Belarus. (Possibly with one extra great in there, my brother is the family historian, not I!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also love Moose so this 25 Roubles note from the same issue was really an added bonus!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In 2000 Belarus had a currency reform and took the wildlife off the notes. I don't think that was an improvement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This 1991 Croatia issue came with the Squirrel note. For me it was really just an added bonus! Interesting layout of the note, I am used to them being the same direction on both sides! The obverse is a little washed out, due to the scanning process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a note from Egypt from 1940. I'm drawn to WWII era notes, and the vignette was what sold me on this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another interesting WWII note. This is uncirculated or as close to it as I have ever seen and not be (I think it is but grading is not my strong suit) I've got my fare share of notes issued by the Allies, this is my first WWII note that was issued by the Axis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This 1988 issue from Poland was actually the first of any Polish money in my collection. (I later purchased a Polish coin from 1623 at the same show-combined purchase price of note and coin? $10). While I am not Polish, two of my best friends are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't own a single $100 bill from the US, havn't even touched any in over five years. But I was able to aquire this 1993 Russian 100 Roubles!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. This note from Tajikistan came with a note I will be posting in the future. I really wanted the other note so I view this as a free bonus. I can honestly say I know nothing at all about Tajikistan, and the only previous time I had heard of this country was during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got this Yugoslavian note from 1978 because of the cool ship on it. Yeah, I know I'm a car guy but I couldn't resist!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can think of a particular forum member who should like this 1992 note from Yugoslavia :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's all for now....More in the future! Well, I'm dissapointed! I had the proper Cyrillic in there for the Belarus and Russian notes but it didn't translate. It works in Excel and in the captions on my Fotki but not on the board.

4. connor1

connor1 Collector

The notes are gorgeous ! The colors & engraving are beautiful.I also have to learn my International currencies & engravers as I have concentrated primarily on US notes.
    If their are pink elephants why not Pink Squirrel's !

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The Tajik note was printed by Goznak in Moscow, and is remarkably similar in layout to the old USSR rubles.

One aspect of the former Yugoslavian notes was that they always seemed to lose value quickly and the dinar was revalued, meaning a whole new series of notes would then come out. So with Yugoslavia you could count on a wide variety of notes, and usually not pricey.

The Belarusian notes are fascinating when you appreciate that for most of Belarus' short history they have tried to rejoin with Russia and get into the Russian ruble. Of course Russia is only lukewarm to the idea, since the president of Belarus seems to want to remake the USSR and be a co-president. In all likelihood it will never happen.

6. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Belarus, Tajikistan, Transnistria, some older Polish notes ect... they are part of a long list of countries whose notes are litteraly worthless. The Egyptian note doesnt show up all that much however.

You did great in your selection, alot of the vingettes are pretty darn cool. The notes values though... well, even in the 2 for a dollar bin, you over paid lol

7. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

Very nice notes, i like them all. i think you picked out very nice notes.

8. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

congrats on getting your squirrel note! pretty cool stuff.

9. connor1

connor1 Collector

Notes from your families country

To find notes from a country of your ancestors have more sentimental value I'm sure to you then their value.Beautiful colors & almost unc.(PPQ)...you did great !

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Billy, i have a lot of extra of the wildlife notes from Belarus - i can fill in some of the gaps of the notes you dont have... PM me your addy if you would like them.

11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Billy:

As I pointed out in the CU discussion on these notes that you posted, the Egyptian note is not a WWII issue.

Although there is a reference to the authorizing law from 1940 on the note, this note was not issued until the 1970s. The earliest notes from this series were first issued in 1952.

This is a good time point out that dating paper money can be tricky. You cannot usually rely on the dates on the notes themselves. Series dates and authorization dates do not necessarily reflect the year that the notes were issued. As an example, the notes from early in the reign of QEII from the Bahamas have authorization dates of 1936. These are the only dates on the notes. They were not printed until after she ascended to the throne in 1952.

12. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Quite right letow, and good catch! My egyptian banknote books show this note as part of the 11th issue of 5 piastres notes, issued in 1971. Signature of M Salah Hamed. I do not know is Mr. Hamed also signed a later issue of notes, or if M Salah Hamed is different from the later signer of Salah Hamed.

there were 10 signers of this 11th issue, the 5th signer is this note posted of M. Salah Hamed. The 8th and 9th signers were Salah Hamed. The only difference between the 8th and 9th signers is the little micro inscription below the border on the face.

13. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Very cool DJ, thanks for sharing.

14. Thanks for the comments and info! I have fixed my collection chart according to the new info.

Dating world notes is definitly my biggest problem with them...There is some more coming soon...:)

15. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

the deeper you get into world notes - you will really need the Kruass publications :) They may have problems - but they are the single best resource for world notes! Once you dive into those books... you will really wonder how you survived without them lol

16. Yes indeed I am thinking I will have to get a copy of them. I saw a dealer with them at CoinFest and wanted to go back to his table and ask about them, and I forgot to! Oops! I will have to look into them online because they are not available locally. (not much is book wise)

I am definitly going to be spending more time on world currency then I had been before so I want to get educated on them!

17. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Also keep in mind that pricing, in any catalog, it a bit haphazard. That means that if you found a copy of SCWPM from a few years back, all you'd miss would be that absolutely newest notes. The pricing differences (IMO) are not worth worrying about. So you might save some money on the catalog. The newer catalogs (not sure what date) include the CD, which is cool if you want it digitally.

But I agree, if your focus is a very general "world notes", the Krause books are an absolute requirement.

Dave

18. davidw

davidw World Paper Money Buyer!!

Italian notes, especially those from the 1930's- 50's, can be tricky with differing dates in the margins and on the face. Gotta watch those signatures & watermarks close. A good catalogue/guide is a must.

19. EgCollector

EgCollector New Member

A very beautiful collection. I am not into note collecting, but i think that the Egyptian 5 piastres note is not dated 1940 it is issued under a law of year 1940.
    It is written on it The Republic of Egypt so this has to be after the revolution of 1952 because before this date Egypt was a kingdom and The portrait of King Farouk was on its currencey.

You can use the signature of the minister of finance on the back of the note to determine the date in E
    Dr.Mohammed Salah Eldeen Hamid , Ministry of Finance, 19/11/1976

20. EgCollector

EgCollector New Member

A very beautiful collection. I am not into note collecting, but i think that the Egyptian 5 piastres note is not dated 1940 it is issued under a law of year 1940.
    It is written on it The Republic of Egypt so it has to be issued after the 1952 revolution, because before that date Egypt was a Kingdom and King Farouk portrait was on most of its currency.

You can use the Minister of Finance signature found on the back of the note to determine the date of Egyptian notes for example in this case the note is signed by
    Dr.Mohammed Salah Eldeen Hamid , Ministry of Finance, 19/11/1976 to 5/10/1978

This link may help regarding Egyptian Ministers of Finance

http://www.mof.gov.eg/English/About+MOF/History.htm

Hope this helps :)

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yes they are very nice!!

Draft saved Draft deleted