Some new stuff

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Oct 29, 2018.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Picked up a few cheap coins the other day from the local shop. Not my usual m.o.

IMG_4513.jpg
    Otacilia Severa AR Antoninianus. MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed, draped bust right on crescent / CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left with patera & double cornucopiae. RIC 119b, RSC 9.

edit:
    Otacilia Severa AR Antoninianus. OTACILIA SEVERA AVG, diademed & draped bust right on crescent / CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left with patera & cornucopiae, altar before. RIC 126, RSC 17

IMG_4517.jpg

Sigismund III 1625 Medieval Poland, 3 Polker, AR 19mm. (I think)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice coins. I can not read the Poland Polker, but it looks interesting. Is the shield Sigismund's? Do they change with ruler?

Orielensis and randygeki like this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I have no idea lol. Very far from my normal area of collecting.

benhur767 likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

No Falling Horsemen? Whaaat?! :eek:
    :D

Incidentally, your Otacilia is actually RIC 126 on account of the legend being M OTACIL SEVERA AVG and there being an altar to the left of Concordia’s feet.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

oops. Thanks!

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice coins.

randygeki likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, Randy.

randygeki likes this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I like 'em both. That Otacilia Severa is quite nice - the chip makes it affordable, but almost nothing is missing, just a bit of the inscription.

randygeki likes this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all.

I still have some fel temps coming :D

TIF and zumbly like this.
  12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Sweet coins Randy. Here's my Sigismund III
    Poland, Sigismund III Vasa.png

13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice!

randygeki likes this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Ajax likes this.
  15. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice coins! The 3 Polker coins are interesting since they were issued by different 17th century authorities, changing only the shield but keeping the overall design. Below are some of mine (these are the most modern coins I have ever collected):

Georg Wilhelm von Brandenburg.png
    Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg, Brandenburg and Prussia, 3 Polker, 1622 AD, mint: Königsberg. Obv: DIEV & MON DROICT, crowned quartered shield with eagle (Brandenburg), griffin (Pomerania), lion (Jülich), escarbuncle (Kleve), inescutcheon with sceptre. Rev: GE. WI. M. AR. BR SR. I. E. L. PD., orb with 24, date 22. 20mm, 1.07g. Ref: Olding 2014, no. 47.

Gustav Adolf 1633.png
    Gustav II Adolf (postumous), Swedish Livonia, 3 Polker, 1633, mint: Elbing. Obv: GVS ADO DG REX S, crowned quartered shield with three crowns (Sweden) and griffin (Livonia) or heraldic knight (Lithuania), inescutcheon with withy of the House of Vasa. Rev: MON NO REG SVE, orb with 24, date 33. 20mm, 0.75g. Ref: Kopicki 1995, no. 9213.

Gustav Adolf 1634.png
    Gustav II Adolf (postumous), Swedish Livonia, 3 Polker, 1634, mint: Riga. Obv: GVST ADOLP D G REX S, crowned quartered shield with three crowns (Sweden) and lion (House of Bjelbo), inescutcheon with withy of the House of Vasa. Obv: MON NOVA [CIVI RIGE], orb with 24, date 34. 20mm, 0.99g. Ref: Haljak 2010, no. 1460.

@rrdenarius , this might also answer your question about the shield on @randygeki 's coin. It shows the arms of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Polish eagle and Lithuanian Vytis) with an inescutcheon for Sigismund showing the Vasa withy.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool new pic ups RG!

I recently just picked up an Otacilia/concordia combo coin.

100_5249_zpsney8frdr.JPG

Otacilia Severa, 246- 248 AD, AR Antoninianus

O: OTACIL SEVERA AVG; diademed and draped bust right, on crescent. R:CONCORDIA AVGG; Concordia seated left holding patera and single cornucopiae. Rome mint. 23 mm, 3.8 g.

One of the first AR coins I purchased as a 3 polker! I just did a new pic of it!

100_6428_zpsjkwd8jzh.JPG

Sigismund III, AR 3 Polker (1/24 thaler), 1617

O: coat of arms. R: globus cruciger with denomination and date. 1.8 g, 20 mm.

Ajax, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks guys, and great coins!

Orielensis likes this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Thanks @Orielensis ! I can see there is plenty to learn coins from this era.

Orielensis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted