Some New Reference Pick Ups

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As a variety collector, one must try and keep so many varieties in your head that sometimes it's overwhelming . So many coins to remember dates, vams, ddo's,ddr's,over dates,rpm's,etc,etc......
    Someone once asked me how do you remember all of them?
    Well the truth of the matter you don't always.
    However by reading and having a good reference source it helps one find varieties that others have no idea exist .
    I just picked up a few new books that I have found very well written and nice reference to have at a reasonable price.
    The first is a spiral small book easy to travel in your pocket.
    "A quick reference to top misplaced dates" by Kevin Flynn
    Next
    Morgan Dollar overdates,over mint marks,misplaced dates,and E clashed reverse another book by Kevin Flynn
    Flying Eagle and Indian cent die varieties by Larry R.Steve and Kevin Flynn
    And lastly another book by Flynn on seated half dimes. The Authoritative Reference on Liberty Stated Half Dimes.
    I must admit all the above mentioned reference books have easy to understand text, quality images to compare ." Priced affordable "
    Since there has few books published that up date new varieties other than the new CPG, 6th ed. There are several series of coins that the best references are over 20 plus years old,and out of print making them hard to find or overly priced.
    I do recommend the books I've listed above. Lets hear about some new publications you have found helpful on the series you collect.
    Buy the Book before the coin....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    OxJaw and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Are this guy's books actually any good? I find it hard to believe any one person is capable of writing the "Authoritative Reference" to so many series, but some of these books have some high-powered co-authors.

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Those sound like great books paddy, I only aggressively seek varieties within one series and even that is impossible to remember. A while back I made a memo/cheat sheet on my phone to help me remember the moon $ varieties I actively search for. You are right about the books being out of date and/or expensive, I have a Breen encyclopedia CPG and Strike it Rich/Pocket Change book. I rely on the internet for everything else.
    I WILL hafta check out the Morgan $ varieties book, especially if it's easy to transport, which, to me is a huge bonus. Thanks for sharing...:cool:

5. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Paddy is armed (with knowledge) and dangerous now ... I hope you enjoy the books and I'm sure you'll be back for more. :)

Paul M. I know Kevin J. Flynn, and he has spent a lot of time in the US Mint Archives. If you ever get the chance to meet him you will quickly learn how one person is capable of writing so many books. He works with coin dealers at some of the larger shows photographing coins that are used in his books.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    green18 and Paddy54 like this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Alan I have to say since I've had received the new references I have cherry picked 7 new varieties on e bay. Most half dimes. As soon as I can find the money to pull the trigger they will be mine. The images and descriptions of the varieties in these new books are great. I do love my two cpg books but, there are better images and descriptions that help you nail down any second guesses.
    Besides there's not a lot of new books in print that one can rely on as good as these I've purchased from you.
    Thanks again for your speedy service,and all you do to promote this hobby.

Draft saved Draft deleted