Some New Procrastination Coin Arrivals!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

What the title of this thread means that coins I've been lazy about doing what needs to be done, such as shooting a photo or I was just lazy about IDing the coin. I've posted these coins elsewhere but not here as far as I can remember. Some of these coins have been setting around for months, like wow. lol

greek-illyiria-dyrrhachion.jpg

Ancient Greek, Dyrrhachium, Illyria AR Drachm (250-200 BC), Magistrates; Theodotos and Philonos, 19.6 mm, 3.37, 3h

Obverse: ΘEOΔOTOΣ, Cow standing right, looking left, suckling calf, cornucopia below.

Reverse: ΦI-ΛΩ-NOΣ, Double stellate pattern.

Reference: Ceke 230, Maier 392

Ex: Tom Mullally

mumlak-fals.jpg

Islamic, Mamluk, al-Ashraf Sha'ban II, 1363-1377, AE fals, Dimashq, 2.7g, 20.28mm

OBV: Eye-shaped cartouche with Arabic al-sultan al-malik al-Ashraf Sha'ban clockwise around perimeter; at center, bin Hasan.

REV: Floreated octolabe with zarb Dimashq at center.

REF: Balog 458

gordian-3-edessa-dealer-photo.jpg

Roman Provincial Edessa, Mesopotamia, Gordian III (238-244 AD) with Abgar X Phraates, AE24 apx

Obverse: AVTOK K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC CЄ, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right; star to right.

Reverse: Rev: ABΓAPOC BACIΛЄVC, Draped bust of Abgar right, wearing tiara; star to left.

Reference: BMC Arabia 144, SNG Copenhagen 225

Ex: pending - dealer photo, I'm reshooting this coin later. I got a $15 bargain including shipping and fees on this one, Bing would be proud. lol

greek-pergamon-mysia-athena.jpg

Ancient Greek, Pergamon, Mysia (c.133-127 BC) AE19, 7.03g, 19mm

Obverse: No legend. Helmeted head of Athena right.

Reverse: AΘHNAΣ NIKHΦOPOV, Armored trophy consisting of helmet and cuirass, monogram field mark right and partially off flan.

Reference: SNG Von Aulock 1374

Ex: Sphinx Numismatics

Gallienus-Minerva.jpg

Roman Imperial, Gallienus (265 AD), BI Antoninianus, Sole reign, Antioch mint

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: MINERVA AVG dot, Minerva standing right, with spear and shield. Mintmark: branch.

Reference: RIC 651 Asian mint, Goebl 1634b, Sear 10290

Ex: Kayser-i Rum Numismatics +photo

Judaea-first-revolt.jpg

Ancient East, Judaea, Jewish First Revolt (67-68 AD) AE Prutah, Year 2

Obverse: Year two in ancient Hebrew script, amphora with fluted body, broad rim and two handles.

Reverse: The freedom of Zion in ancient Hebrew, vine leaf on a small branch.

Reference: Hendin 661, AJC II P.260 11a

I have several more, perhaps I will post those later. Enjoy!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

What a cool assortment of coins!! You're even more of a 'generalist' than I seem to be and about as lazy LOL:p

gregarious, Gil-galad and Alegandron like this.
  4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I go in phases, sometimes I'm real active and then I get lazy for awhile. Most of my coins have complete records, including provenance and financial information as well. I just don't feel like doing that all the time because it can get really tedious. Doing all that was of more benefit to me in the beginning because I am learning more all the time. I've been collecting for over 5 years now.

Theodosius and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I started off with Roman Imperial coinage because that's how I started learning and I just love collecting Romans because you can collect them in sets and types. It's fun tracking down those elusive reverse types for emperors and you can collect a emperor set, there are so many more possibillities with Roman Imperial and Roman Provincial coinage.

Although, I have branched out since then because I feel more confident about learning other coins. I've learned how to read most Roman Imperial, Roman Provincials, Greeks and even Chinese cash coins. I'm working on learning ancient to medieval Mongolia and Turkish region coinage in Asia.

So, now I'm starting to develop a all across the board ancient coin collection as you can see with my Forum Ancient Coins gallery which I will post a link to it and you can check it out. This gallery has two pages so far.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=31399

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Man, I can't do that. My personality won't let me procrastinate. I take care of each coin as it arrives. I think I would go nuts if I tried to let them sit around without attributing, tagging, listing in catalog, and filing.

BTW, nice assortment of coins. Eclectic.

dougsmit and Gil-galad like this.
  7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

The only good thing about letting them pile up is that when you really are in a coin mood, you can have fun for hours and days. lol

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I'll post a couple more coins. The first one is a coin that was minted in Annam in the China region which has it's own numismatic history. This coin was minted using ancient casting techniques and was not made with a machine. With the patina, it looks like a ancient coin, but it is near modern. Haha.

Quang Trung Thong Bao-viet-nam-1788-1792.jpg

Annam (Vietnam) Cash, Tây Sơn Dynasty Rebellion, Quang Trung (1788-1792 AD), AE24 Cash, 1.95g, 24mm

Obverse: 光中通寶, Quang Trung Thông Bảo. Thick outter rim, thin rim around square hole.

Reverse: No legend. Thick outter rim, four crescents in field surrounding square hole with thin rim.

Reference: Toda 193, Barker 93.28

Ex: Kayser-i Rum Numismatics

valentinian-ii-wreath.jpg

Roman Imperial, Valentinian II (378-383 AD) AE 3/4

Obverse: DN VALENTIANVS PF AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: VOT-XX-MVLT-XXX in four lines within wreath. Mintmark ANTA.

Reference: RIC IX Antioch 58b

greek-illyria-appolonia.jpg

Ancient Greek, Apollonia, Illyria (229-30 BC BC) AR Drachm, 17.8mm, 3.11g, 6h

Obverse: AΓIAΣ, Above cow standing left suckling calf.

Reverse: AΠOΛ - EΠI - KA - ΔOY, Double stellate pattern.

Reference: Ceka 3, BMC 15

Balbinus-sestertius.jpg

Roman Imperial, Balbinus (238 AD) AE Sestertius

Obverse: IMP CAES D CAE L BALBINVS AVG, Laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: PROVIDENTIA DEORVM, Providentia standing left with cornucopia & wand pointed at globe at feet.

Reference: RIC 19, Cohen 24, SRCV 8499

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice assortment of coins @Gil-galad
    Procrastination : all my life !!!

Q

Alegandron and Gil-galad like this.
  10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That is me all the way, sometimes. Crash course in brain surgery. lol

11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I love your first Dyrrhachium drachm above. It shows fascinating evidence of the minting process. Most people likely would not notice that and possibly even consider it to be a lesser coin as a result. I think its great!

12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I like this series a lot because of the massive variety for such a simple design, it boggles the mind and the senses. lol

Another thing is that for the magistrates Theodotos and Philonos, this is a pretty scarce coin for the series. I was asked to upload at CoinProject.

http://www.coinproject.com/coin_det...y=no&page=submission&sel_option=all&criteria=

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool coin assortment GG! I'm pretty good about photographing and cataloging my new coins, but I've been working on redoing some of my old stuff...that started to bog down. I just did some pics today, it's probably been a month since I did any.

14. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I work on my coins often as well, but sometimes there are periods where I don't. I also run a Facebook group which can cut into that time I want to work on coins. But it ain't all bad. I like doing it because it's still all ancient coin associated for sure.

15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Just a few more coins.

theodosius-ii-wreath.jpg

Roman Imperial, Theodosius II (423-425 AD) AE4, Antioch mint

Obverse: D N THEODO-SIVS PF AVG, Diademmed, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: VOT XX MV dot LT XXX inside wreath. Mint mark: ANTA

Reference: RIC X 456

bityinia-nicaea-severus-alexander.jpg

Roman Provincial, Nicaea, Bithynia, Severus Alexander (221-235 AD) AE19, 19.8mm, 3.40g, 1h

Obverse: M AVP CEVH AΛEΞANΔPOC AVΓ, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: N-IK-AI-E/ΩN, Three legionary standards topped with wreathes.

Reference: Rec Gen 617 var, Weiser 30 var, BMC 103, SNG vA 624 var

class-a2-basil-constantine-viii.jpg

Byzantine Empire, Anonymous AE Follis Class A2, Basil II and Constantine VIII (976-1028 AD)

Attributed to Basil II and Constantine VIII (976-1028 AD)

Obverse: IC-XC, Bust of Christ holding book of gospels. EMMA NOVHL

Reverse: IhSuS / XRISTuS / bASILEu / bASILE on four lines, ornament below.

Reference: SB 1813

maurice-tiberius-resize.jpg

Byzantine Empire, Maurice Tiberius (582-602 AD) AE Follis, Theopolis mint

Obverse: DN MAV G I CN P AVG, Crowned and mantled facing bust, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre.

Reverse: Large M, ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year to right, officina letter below. THEUO in exergue.

Reference: SB 533

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins. I have some coins from like 10 years ago that I still havent tried hard to id lol

Gil-galad likes this.
  17. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

haha! hey, i'm a member of that club and i haven't even joined yet ^^

Gil-galad and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted