some new LRB overstrikes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, May 8, 2020.

1. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

two recent overstruck acquisitions

Here is an interesting unofficial overstrike. It’s in a slab, which is why it looks like pieces are missing from the edges. It is an official IOVI undertype, which was issued A.D. 313- 315. This type was demonetized after the monetary reform in A.D. 318, which introduced the VLPP in bronze. Normally, the unofficial VLPP are circa 17-18mm, close to the official issue; but this coin, struck on an IOVI flan is almost 22mm. So, because of the size and crude overstrike, everyone would have known that this was unofficial, but it seemed it was more important to at least attempt an overstrike, rather than continue to circulate an unaltered IOVI.

It looks like the undertype is Siscia 7
    IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG; laureate head right.
    IOVI CON-SERVATORI; Jupiter standing l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on sceptre and holding Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. on ground; in right field A.
    in ex. SIS

IOVI_under.png

Siscia 7

IOVI CONSERVATORI Siscia 7.jpg

oriented to show the unofficial VLPP

VLPP_over.png

and the official type

53b2.jpg

The CNG description--

"Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (21.5mm, 4.06 g). Contemporary imitation. Uncertain mint in the Danube basin. Struck circa AD 320s. Helmeted and cuirassed bust right / Two Victories standing vis-à-vis, holding inscribed shield on altar. Overstruck on an a Siscia mint follis of Constantine I. Sergeev 232-7. For undertype cf. RIC VII 3 (Siscia). Green patina. In NGC encapsulation 4530021-005, graded Ch AU, Strike: 3/5, Surface: 3/5, light smoothing. Remarkably clear undertype. Very interesting"

The second coin--

This coin has been overstruck and it looks official; though it is hard to be sure. If official, it would be very rare. The undertype is not really visible, but it is a larger module and might be an IOVI type.

CNG description

Crispus. Caesar, AD 316-326. Æ Follis (22mm, 3.44 g, 6h). Londinium (London) mint. Struck AD 324. Laureate head right / VOT/X in two lines within laurel wreath; PLON(crescent). RIC VII 291; C&T 10.01.005. Dark green-brown patina, flan crack, overstruck on an uncertain issue of a larger module. VF.

Crispus.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very interesting coins. Thank you.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The 2nd coin undertype is clearly showing S AVG so the undertype is likely to be Constantine. You could eliminate issues with a PF in the legend. IMHO overstrikes are soooo much better when the undertype is legible but this one is attractive.

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

The second coin is most interesting not so much because of the undertype being visible, but because it looks official.

6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Could this be a flip over double strike? Rather than readinf S AVG, couls the bits of legend visible in the obverse be the remnants of SARVM N, with the X visible in the hair being the X from VOT/ X?

7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

They are both great, excellent finds.

8. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything about these. Nice coins and write up.

Draft saved Draft deleted