Featured Some more Epeiros additions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Dec 18, 2018.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The only Epirote Republic coin that I have...

Epirus Epirote Republic - AE20 1023.jpg EPEIROS, Epirote Republic
    AE20. 4.78g, 20.1mm. EPEIROS, Epirote Republic, before 238 BC. SNG Cop 105. O: Head of Dodonaean Zeus crowned with oak left. R: Thunderbolt between Α and Π; all within oak-wreath.

TIF, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Hi Zumbly, nice coin. I got good news (or well depends if you think the same). It is not a coin from the Epeirote republic, does SNG Cop say that? Franke atleast determined that these coins were produced during the kingdom of Epeiros, also called Epeiros Symmachy sometimes, this includes the reign of Pyrrhos. I think that makes your coin a little more special.

With Zeus looking right, the coin is during reign of Pyrrhos (and a little after) in 297-265 B.C.

Your example of Zeus looking left is minted after the reign of Pyrrhos but still during the Kingdom of Epeiros, until the establishment of the Epeirote League. Time date of your coin is 270-235 B.C. and reference somewhere in Franke 70-95 (and SNG Cop 105 but the time date is not correct).

In other words, I would place as description: Epeiros. Symmachy, 270-235 B.C.

zumbly likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks! I'll take note of that for further investigation. Yes, the date and classification is from SNG Cop, which is of course not always up-to-date.

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thought I'd revive this fantastic @Pavlos thread that I couldn't participate in at the time it was posted, since I didn't have an Epeiros coin.
    I can now though. Because I have 2!!:eek:
    The first one has such a fantastic (and hard to photograph) patina that made it pretty easy to look past the chip (that couldn't be placed any better):

7623778A-C052-43C9-9792-C723D4DF3056.jpeg

EPEIROS, Epeirote Republic Circa 234-168 BC. Æ 22mm (6.48 gm). Laureate head of Zeus left / APEI-PWTAN and thunderbolt; within oak wreath. Franke pg. 226ff; SNG Copenhagen 128; BMC Thessaly pg. 91, 46-47; Laffaille 340. Good VF, glossy greenish brown patina.

And then this guy (who I believe Pavlos and I both have an affinity for) I posted in an old thread of mine but thought I'd show him off again since he fits well here and isn't a type that was posted.

094D8F33-1CC9-46AA-99D2-49C460607337.jpeg

Pyrrhos of Epiros, as King of Macedon (287-285 and 274-273 BC). AE17 (4.81 g), Macedonian mint.
    Obv. Macedonian shield with king´s monogram on boss.
    Rev: BAΣI, Macedonian helmet within oak wreath, star below.
    SNG Alpha Bank 971.

If I've bungled either identification a point in the right direction is always appreciated.
    PS @Pavlos, any idea what the monogram behind Zeus's head in your op coin is for?

6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Awesome @Ryro congrats on your 2 Epeiros coins!! Two very nice coins from two totally different era's of Epeirote history. Your first coin has a very nice and clear AΠEI PΩTAN inscription.

I am very happy I obtained the below coin (probably everyone is like... what is so special to an 'ugly' coin as that). In my opinion I think this is an half unit of the Epeirote Republic coin you obtained. Epeiros coins are quite scarce and obscure already, but this half unit is absolutely one of a kind, I can find no references or sales records of this particular type.

[​IMG]
    Epirote League Bronze coin (234–168 B.C.)
    Obverse: Head of Dodonian Zeus right.
    Reverse: AΠEI PΩTAN thunderbolt.
    13mm; 2.75g

I obtained some 10 other Epeiros coins since I posted this thread, I must one time put it here on the forum, but unfortunately there are very few people who are interested in Epeirote coins, would love to see more here on the forum.

Ofcourse, Pyrrhos is in my top 3 of favorite ancient generals! Your second coin is certainly minted in his first reign as a king of Macedon when he had control over a coin workshop in Pella, in his second reign he did not have this. I believe that if Pyrrhos had the chance he would have definitly minted silver coins as king of Macedon, however, due to a lack of silver this was not possible since the control of the Pangaion Mountains was in the hands of Lysimachos, in which he was in able to mint those beautiful tetradrachms of his.

To your last question, it is either a magistrate monogram or a mint mark, it is the most frequent one on Epeirote silver coins, my Epeirote drachm has the exact same monogram as well. I see this monogram also in combination with other monograms or magistrates names and even on bronze coins (see coin below), which makes me think even more that this is an magistrates symbol and not a mint mark. I would love to have this bronze coin, it's an absolute rarity.

[​IMG]
    EPEIROS, Federal coinage (Epirote Republic). Circa 234/3-168 BC. Æ 12mm (1.89 g, 9h). Piloi of Dioskouroi; stars above, monogram below / Star. Franke -; SNG Copenhagen 138 var. (monogram). Near VF, light brown patina.

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great thread Pavlos, thanks.

Is this the man faced bull you were referring to in your OP ?

akarnania.jpg

Bing, Johndakerftw and Ryro like this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted