Some modern gold commemoratives

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Here are some modern gold commemoratives from my collection. While some of the designs are boring, some are rather pleasant IMO. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1984W_70ucam$10oly1o5t.jpg
    bc1984W_70ucam$10oly1r4t.jpg

bc1993W_70ucamG$5MAo1t.jpg
    bc1993W_70ucamG$5MAr3t.jpg

bc1996W_70ucamG$5OLYo4.jpg
    bc1996W_70ucamG$5OLYr2.jpg

bc2002W_70ucamG$5OLYo5.jpg
    bc2002W_70ucamG$5OLYr4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I like these...surprised it didn't generate more comments....I take it the coins weren't graded ?

Do you recall how much of a premium to spot gold they were back then and what they might fetch today ?

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Skyman knows how to do coins. No doubt about that.... Modern gold commemoratives are a spectacular way to acquire gold. They can usually be had for spot and they are mesmerizing to look at. Most are flawless. The collector interest just never seemed to take off with them so they an are affordable way to own gold. One of my favorite coins is this one I bought as a bullion purchase and have come to love. It is a joy to view. I purchased this at spot.

F1EFFDE8-5713-4456-8A43-25D8FA222792.jpeg 6D5F16CE-B5CA-4611-BC72-E11095747402.jpeg

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I totally agree with this. I have always loved the 1999 Washington $5 and bought one for the same reason.

Randy Abercrombie and LakeEffect like this.
  6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Love the Madison coin and Randy's Washington. Never cared much for any of the Olympic coins over the years, although I've bought a few in days gone by.

Agree with Randy, they are usually very well struck.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

No and Yes, RA....??

Definitely mesmerizing, that's why I like some of them (how many Silver or Gold American Eagles do I want to stack ?) :D. But I see most of the coins at about 30-40% over spot bullion. In the case of the rarer 2 oz. mint products, the premium goes even higher.

Maybe it takes time to dissipate ?
    I would have expected that coins associated with the 1984 or 1996 U.S.-held Olympics to be hot items. Lots of non-coin people probably had interest in them. Now, who cares, right ?

I see premiums dissipate a bit for Gold & Silver commemoratives months or years after they are issued, but super-high (silver) and double-digit (gold) premiums remain as far as I can see.

8. GoldFinger1969

Is it a 1/10th or 1/4 oz coin ?

What was the premium back in 1999 and what is it today (of course, gold was about $325 in 1999 !!) ?

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, yes. When the mint announced the Apollo commemoratives, I was so excited I could bust. I just knew they would be the hottest strike produced in recent memory. It was the only time I was worried about getting my order in before they sold out. Here it is now the end of the year and I am still getting emails from the mint begging me to buy them. And here they do a reverse proof ASE and they are selling at four figures. To me, it is just another ASE. Point is, yes commemorative strikes do have a targeted audience. And for the rest of us, well they are just bullion.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, I jumped on the Apollo commems, too. I do like a good flip, but those are staying, unless it's a choice between them and feeding the family.

I buy gold commems whenever I can get them below spot. I especially like the gold Constitution design. Eagles and arrows and shields are all fine, but I save my greatest respect for the pen.

11. GoldFinger1969

I take it the Apollo 50th Anniversary coins (gold ?) weren't a hit ? What were the mintages ?

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It's a 90% gold commemorative containing 0.242oz of gold.

When I bought mine, the spot value was about $285. I think BUs were selling for a little over $300 at the time. I paid $325 for mine, but I wanted a proof which tend to be a touch more expensive.

13. GoldFinger1969

I am not sure it would be called a commemorative but it's not the annual coin they release either (like the ASE or Maple Leafs or Kruggerands), but I do like the Australian Wedge Eagle gold pieces. The 2 oz. is priced insane, though, in TPG mint condition (probably because it's a big coin and to get a perfect strike is tougher).

The National Park Foundation Saint-Gaudens Commemorative Winged Liberty is very nice and I have my eyes on one if the price is right.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  14. P0CKETCHANGE

P0CKETCHANGE New Member

There is a very in-depth and interesting article in December's Numismatist about the 1999 Washington commemorative gold coin.

15. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

I have the 1987 Constitution, all three 2016 100th anniversary and the American Legion three coin set. On the list are the National Park and Old San Fransico Mint. But I'm sure there are others to consider. I'm waiting and hoping on a 2021 Peace Dollar.

16. GoldFinger1969

Are irregularly produced coins considered commemoratives ?

I like the 2009 Ultra High Relief, as well as other Ultra Highs like the 2017 Mercanti Saint-Gaudens National Park and the 2014 Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle. I consider these commemoratives.

Am I wrong ?

Draft saved Draft deleted