Some Marc Antony Dinarii........What do you think??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Just won (see update in post #8) some Marc Antony denarii which were described as FDC and Near mint. First the FDC coin and then the two Near Mint ones. Let me know what you all think about these. I didn't see any major problems!!

Legion III FDC....appears quite well centered and well struck to me

Marc Antony Leg III FDC.jpg

Legion III Near Mint....I really liked the flan and centering on this one and the style of the dies

Marc Antony Leg III Near Mint.jpg

Legion VI Near mint. Flan not so good but strike seems sharp.
    Marc Antony Leg VI Near Mint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some of the best I have seen, Congrats.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

All three are very nice, but I think that second one is fabulous. Congrats on the wins!

I no longer pay any attention to letter grades in auction catalogs, but I'm interested in understanding why the one described as FDC has that amount of indistinct detail on the galley.

Mikey Zee and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  5. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks. I'm not an expert at grading coins but have repeatedly noticed that FDC coins often do not photograph as well as MS or AU. I assume it has to do with sharpness of strike which gives it a roughness along the raised parts.

The oars do not appear as distinct in the FDC coin, I agree, but the other details seem to be stronger, I think. We shall wait till they are checked and confirmed by the 'experts'. If they are fake or materially misstated, I always have the option to return any of them. Let's hope that will not be the case.:(:yack:

Orfew likes this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I prefer the second over the first too : strike is sharper and it has better details
    All three are (very) nice though, congrats

Q

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes, all are very nice. I don't see enough of a difference to grade one over another. Here are my poor man's version of the two legions represented in the OP: Marcus Antonius Leg III.jpg Marcus Antonius  4.jpg

dlhill132, GerardV, Smojo and 10 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very beautiful additions!

9. 1934 Wreath Crown

Sorry guys. The auction ended yesterday and I thought my bids were the highest. Unfortunately, there was a further live bidding session and although till 5 minutes before my post, I was shown as the winning bid, it seems the floor bids were not updated. As it turns out I only won one coin (a Lesbos el Hekte)....am gutted.

Have requested the moderators to remove this thread. I'm truly very sorry but t was never my intention to mislead anyone.

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes:Sorry to hear that. I hate losing coins at the last moment (seconds) at any auction ...especially 'Live' when I'm the high bidder by a considerable margin---it seems I had my coin literally stolen from me.

For what it's worth, I saw nothing in the photos to suggest anything but terrific genuine examples...and I prefer the second overall.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Svarog likes this.
  11. Bing

I know I am be superstitious, but I almost never post a coin until I have it in hand. Sorry that you lost out on these. They are some very nice, well detailed legionary denarii.

GerardV and Jwt708 like this.
  12. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks @Mikey Zee this is my consolation :(

Lesbos Mytilene EL Hekte 168.jpg
    The only one I managed to secure

13. Bing

Now this a a real beauty. It's a great consolation prize IMHO.

Smojo and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  14. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks Mikey. I recon an AU or AU+ :happy:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. Mikey Zee

I think you were thanking @Bing ;)

But yep, that's an excellent example of an EL HEKTE!! Far superior to my example;

Lebos, Mytilene, circa 377 BC (Apollo and Artemis or just male/female heads??):
    [​IMG]

16. 1934 Wreath Crown

Yes apologies once again....thanks @Bing

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Bummer, sorry to hear that. I had four leading pre-sale bids going into the auction. I tuned in for the live auction and saw all my bids exceeded but decided against chasing after them.

18. 1934 Wreath Crown

I'm upset because I didn't even realise they had a live auction format for this one. I was wondering why I continued to be shown as the winning bidder more than 12 hours after the auction had ended.:(

Svarog likes this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well you still scored a fabulous coin!

Moderators almost never delete a thread.

20. Mikey Zee

BTW: I lost a reasonable bid on an anonymous quadrigatus during the 'live' bidding at a Heritage auction last night...and I had about a hundred to spare within my maximum at that point. I'll never know if I would've gotten into a bidding war if I followed it to the very end. I can be a bit stubborn and get caught up in it all LOL

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Bing

I'm the same, so I've learned to set my maximum bid and not look again until the auction is over. Otherwise, I would be in the poor house.

Draft saved Draft deleted