Some Leu Wins - Roman Provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Jul 8, 2021.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

EGYPT. Alexandria. Maximianus, first reign, 286-305. Tetradrachm (Potin, 19 mm, 7.26 g, 12 h), RY 8 = 292/3. ΜΑΞΙΜΙΑΝΟC CЄΒ Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Maximianus to right. Rev. Є/ΤΟΥC / H within laurel wreath. Dattari (Savio) 5999. Emmett 4161.8. K&G 120.67. Extremely rare. Light deposits, otherwise, very fine.

From the Rhakotis Collection, formed in the 1960s and 1970s (with collector’s ticket).

maxtet3.jpg

PHRYGIA. Hierapolis. Caracalla, 198-217. Diassarion (Bronze, 24 mm, 9.73 g, 6 h). AY K M AY ANTΩNЄIN/OC Laureate and cuirassed bust of Caracalla to right. Rev. IЄPOΠΟΛЄITΩN Kybele seated left, holding patera in her right hand and leaning left on tympanon; at feet to left and right, lions seated left. BMC -. Naumann 55 (2017), 504 (same obverse die). SNG Copenhagen -. SNG Leypold -. SNG von Aulock -. Rare. Some deposits, otherwise, very fine.

car_phrygia.jpg

Lot 2857
    PAMPHYLIA. Side. Caracalla, 198-217.
    Pentassarion (?) (Bronze, 30 mm, 17.51 g, 1 h). AY K M AY CEY ANTΩNЄINOC Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Caracalla to right; above, star; on cheek, countermark: Є within circular incuse. Rev. CIΔH/TΩΝ The river-god Melas reclining left, holding pomegranate tree in his right hand and leaning left on urn from which water flows. SNG Paris -. SNG PFPS 699. SNG von Aulock -. For countermark, Howgego 803. Very rare. Areas of weakness, otherwise, about very fine.

car_pamph.jpg

Lot 2898
    PISIDIA. Termessus Major. Pseudo-autonomous issue.
    AE (Bronze, 27 mm, 14.74 g, 12 h), struck under Gallienus, circa 260/1. TЄPMHC[CЄΩN] Laureate head of Zeus Solymos to right. Rev. TΩ[N MЄIZ]ONΩN Emperor, in military attire, standing front, head to left, crowning trophy with his right hand and holding eagle-tipped scepter in his left; at feet to left, eagle standing left, head right. SNG Paris 2212. SNG von Aulock 5358. A lovely piece with attractive earthen highlights. Very fine.

pisidia2.jpg

Thanks for looking and please share anything relevant!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like that Alexandrian tet. I've not seen one with a wreath on it before.

4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Naumann had an incorrect identification, and thus no publication references. The error between Hierapolis and Hieropolis is fairly common.
    Your coin is from Hieropolis:
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=156200

David Atherton likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

All three are great coins, I especially like the Termessus and the Maximian tet. (Cool countermark on the Side too.)

I won a few provincials in that auction too. I don't think the prices on these have been affected by the COVID bump as much as Greek and Roman Imperials:

02223q00.jpg
    Hadrian drachm - "canopic" jar of Osiris, regnal year 19 = 134/5, Emmett 932.19.

02886q00.jpg
    PISIDIA, Antioch: Marcus Aurelius / bust of Mên, RPC 7356

02891q00.jpg
    PISIDIA, Conana: c. 2nd century, trophy / bull, RPC 7753

I have a similar wreath issue for Aurelian:
    aurelian wreath tet.jpg
    The most popular years for these wreath designs seem to be 5, 9, and 10 - seems to me they must be VOTA issues? There are a few 8's like yours, which (like the 9's) could be anticipating the decennalia. (Yours could also be in Diocletian's year 9, and so anticipating his decennalia rather than Max's.) Maybe @Valentinian has some thoughts about this...

galba68, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

Great coins @Severus Alexander - I noted that the prices on these didn't go crazy...so I was able to pick them up (save for the Maximianus) at good prices.

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted