Some Interesting Small LRBs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jun 17, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've had these awhile after trading some POGs with @Jwt708 back when I was deployed. I am not 100% sure who they are though I am guessing Arcadius/Honorius/Theodosius II/ or Valentinian III. Somewhere along there. They are all around 1g or less. Shame that most of the images are gone. They are still pretty cool and I figured I'd share. If anyone has any small LRBs they'd like to share, please feel free to post them up! :)
    Cross 1.jpg Cross 2.jpg Small.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

@furryfrog02 I think it is official now, you've become an ancient coins addict. May the Goddess Juno Moneta have mercy on your soul.

4. furryfrog02

Oh, it definitely has taken hold hard haha.
    Don't get me wrong, I still love searching rolls...but I think my heart is with ancients. You guys turned me to the dark side. Thanks :)

Justin Lee, Jims Coins and randygeki like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

True owh so true they look like Byzantine coins

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, no...no mercy! :hilarious::p:eek:

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The curse of the misattributed 1982-D small date copper cent is going to follow you over here. Do you really want to do that to the nice people of the ancient forum?

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

I am sure I am that guy over here...misattributing coins left and right. :banghead:
    Luckily, they are nice over here and don’t give me too hard a time :p

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

We all make mistakes. Just two nights ago I posted a Postumus ant with an Asclepius reverse and accidentally said it was Serapis on the reverse. To anyone who knows their deities, Asclepius and Serapis look nothing like each other. But hey, someone pointed out my mistake, I corrected myself, and we all moved on. To err is human.

Asclepius on the reverse of my Postumus:

Postumus AR Antoninianus Aesculapius.jpg

Serapis on the reverse of a former denarius I used to own:

downloadfile-5.jpg

11. furryfrog02

That is a pretty nice looking Postumus!

Here is my rather poor Postumus (I believe). I'm not sure if it is a fourree or not, with the copper showing on some of the high points on the obverse:

Postumus
    Antoninianus
    Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right
    Reverse: PROVIDETIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding globe and transverse sceptre
    UI5.jpg

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

hey @furryfrog02 , those are some neat little AE4s. Looks like on the second one you have some legend to work with.

Here is a little 13 mm AE 4 of Valentinian II from Antioch.

[​IMG]

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  13. furryfrog02

@chrsmat71 I think the 2nd one "may" be Theodosius II. The legend I can make out looks to be "SIVS PF AVG". Beyond that, I'm pretty much at a loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted