Some interesting additions to my Celtic subcollection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Recently, I've added a few interesting Celtic coins to my collection. Most came with a find location, which is always a pre in my opinion.

First, two coins from a small Celtic tribe, the Sequani Celts, from the current Burgondy region:
    Sequani Celts (TOGIRIX) #1.jpg
    Sequani Celts (TOGIRIX) #2.jpg.jpg
    CELTS, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Quinarius, minted: Gallia Belgica, Sequani celts (area of Besancon); 80-50 BC
    Obv: [TO]GIRIX, celticizided head of Roma to the left
    Rev: [TOGIR]IX, horse springing to the left, below a serpent
    Weight: 1.84g; Ø:12mm. Catalogue: DT 3250, LT 5550. Provenance: Found near Amiens; acq.: 10-2020

Next, two bronze coins from the Remi Celts. These coins brought a dilemma: the first is of superb quality (one of the best I've found online), but the flan is small, resulting in the absence of the "REMO"-legend (both on the obverse and reverse). The second is on a larger flan and includes the legends, but of lesser quality ...
    Remi ae nr. 2.jpg
    CELTS, Anonymous. Denomination: AE unit, minted: Remi; 100-150 BC
    Obv: [REMO], Three jugate busts to the left
    Rev: Victory driving biga left, [REMO] below
    Weight: 2.59g; Ø:14mm. Catalogue: Depeyrot, NC VII, 24.465. Provenance: Found near Metz, on the same place of another Remi celt; acq.: 10-2020
    Sharp strike for issue, pleasant green patina, slightly small flan with legends largely off center
    Remi ae, nr. 1.jpg
    CELTS, Anonymous. Denomination: AE unit, minted: Remi; 100-150 BC
    Obv: [REMO], Three jugate busts to the left
    Rev: Victory driving biga left, REMO below
    Weight: 1.98g; Ø:14mm. Catalogue: Depeyrot, NC VII, 24.465. Provenance: Found near Metz, on the same place of another Remi celt; acq.: 10-2020
    Pleasant green-brown patina, slightly small flan for obverse; reverse nicely on-center and legend visible

The following coin is probably one of the commonest Celtic coins, but wasn't in my collection:
    Gaul, Masilla.jpg
    GREEK, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Obole, minted: Gaul, Massalia; 200-121 BC
    Obv: Bare head of Apollo to the left
    Rev: M-A within wheel of four spokes
    Weight: 0.46g; Ø:9mm. Catalogue: Depeyrot, Marseille 31; SNG Copenhagen 723-8. acq.: 10-2020

The final coin is relatively rare. I bought it for the interesting iconography: on the obverse, we see a Gallic face with rough, curly flowing hair. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to photograph: the coin is somewhat worn and shiny green.
    The reverse shows an eagle riding a horse. I mean: that's cool, isn't it?
    upload_2020-10-27_13-5-14.png
    CELTS, Anonymous. Denomination: AE unit, minted: Meldi Celts; c. 100 BC
    Obv: EPENOS. Male head to the left, long curly wild hair
    Rev: EPHNOS. Eagle riding galopping horse to the right, a crescent between the legs
    Weight: 1.62g; Ø:17mm. Catalogue: LT.7617 - DT.587 - RIG.163. Provenance: Found near Amiens, France; acq.: 10-2020
    The Meldi are mentioned only once in the work of Caesar. This small tribe lived between the Seine and the Marne in the plain of Brie Meaux with capital. The Meldi have emancipated themselves from the tutelage of late Suessiones and Remi at the time of the Gallic Wars. Became independent in 57 BC, the Meldi chose to ally with the Romans. Caesar built sixty ships in Meldi in 55 BC, for shipment to Britain. Caesar (Bg. V, 5).

Please show any interesting Celts in your collection!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a great group of celts! And you weren't kidding about the superb quality of the three fellas on the small flan:artist:
    I just recieved a bunch of celts that I still need to photograph. More to come...
    But I do have a fairly recent RR Celtic imitation that I'm really happy about:
    20200315_180826_CB08C869-FF60-44D9-A4B5-06333D5CE5A5-1840-00000187A156E7C3.jpg
    CELTIC, Gaul. The Aedui.

Circa 1st Century BC. AR Quinarius (15 MM 1.70 gm). Santonos series. Helmeted head left; [SANT]ONOS before / Horse galloping right; rosette below. CCCBM II 441; de la Tour 4520. Toned, nice VF.
    Ex: Zues Numismatics

4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

That's a nice coin, Ryro! Looks like a nice toning; perhaps you'll find some hidden provenance?

I've photographed the last coin's obverse 'as is', to show the details a bit better:
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-12 at 20.38.00.jpeg
    I really like the very Gallic look of that face!

Pellinore, ominus1, Bing and 2 others like this.
  5. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Celtic. Central Gaul. Aedui. Circa 100-50 BC. AR Quinarius (14mm, 1.89g). Obv: Celticized helmeted head left. Rev: Celticized horse left; ornaments around. Ref: Depeyrot, NC IV, 197; CCCBM II -; De la Tour 5138. Fine, obverse off-center.

zac.jpg

ominus1, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool coins! :0... 3 jugates..they remind me of the Roman coin with the obverse of Octavian Antony and Lepidus...coin incidence?!?....:p

Edessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted