some interesting acquisitions of LRB's

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:05 PM.

  1. Victor_Clark

    Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans

    At least I think that they are interesting...your mileage will vary! :)

    also LRB = Late Roman bronze


    This coin was cast in brass/ orichalcum rather than the normal bronze, so I don't think it was ever intended to be used as a counterfeit coin; rather, since it was holed, I believe it was made for the sole purpose of use as a necklace.

    The obverse has a strange legend ending in FIL AVG. Shortly after the conference at Carnuntum in A.D. 308 and the elevation of Licinius to Augustus; a new title was seen on coinage for Maximinus and Constantine I which proclaimed that they were sons (filius) of Augusti. This was an attempt by Galerius to placate them; which failed as they both rejected the title. Constantine had already claimed the title of Augustus in A.D. 307 and Maximinus thought he deserved to be Augustus after the death of Severus. Only Eastern mints struck these types. In A.D. 310, Galerius finally recognized Constantine and Maximinus each as Augustus.

    Constantine_Alexandria_99b.JPG

    Constantine I
    A.D. 308- 310
    brass follis 23x24mm 5.6g
    FL VAL CONSTANTINVS FIL AVG; laureate head right with divergent ties.
    GENIO CAESARIS; Genius standing left, tower on head, loins draped, r. holding patera, l. cornucopiae; across fields K-P; A in right field.
    In ex. ALE
    RIC VI Alexandria 99b


    here is the normal bronze issue

    Constantine_Alexandria_99b (1).jpg









    This coin is not listed in RIC, but should come after Lyons 134. It is Bastien 83 with 2 examples.

    Crispus_Bastien_83.jpg

    Crispus
    A.D. 321
    Ӕ nummus 18mm 3.0g
    CRIS-PVS NOB CAES, helmeted and cuirassed bust right, holding spear over shoulder and shield on arm.
    BEATA TRANQVILLITAS, Globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX; above three stars; C-R across fields.
    In ex. PLG
    RIC VII Lyon -- ; Bastien 83







    In the mintmark of this coin, it looks like there might be a dot at the end, if so, it is unrecorded. I don't have it in hand yet, so I am not sure...maybe it is just some shmutz. The use of a dot for the DAFNE issue is not unprecedented, as a later emission had one.

    This coin also has the "eyes to Heavens" bust; which was written about after it was issued--

    "How deeply his soul was impressed by the power of divine faith may be understood from the circumstance that he directed his likeness to be stamped on the golden coin of the empire with eyes uplifted as in the posture of prayer to God: and this money became current throughout the Roman world." (Eusebius IV.15)


    Constantine_Constantinople_DAFNE.jpg
    Constantine I
    A.D. 328
    Ӕ nummus 19mm 2.9g
    CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; head with rosette diademed, looking up to heavens.
    CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE; Victory seated l. on cippus, palm branch in left hand and laurel branch in right hand, looking r.; trophy at front, at the foot is a kneeling captive with head turned being spurned by Victory; S in left field.
    in ex. CONS [•]
    cf. RIC VII Constantinople 32


    here is an example with a dot

    Constantinople_38dotB.jpg

    Constantine I
    A.D. 329 -330
    20mm 3.5g
    CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; rosette diademed, dr. and cuir. bust right.
    CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE; Victory seated l. on cippus, palm branch in left hand and laurel branch in right hand, looking r.; trophy at front, at the foot is a kneeling captive with head turned being spurned by Victory; B in left field.
    in ex. CONS•
    RIC VII Constantinople –

    The author of RIC, Patrick Bruun, mentions this coin in the footnotes-- "Some coins not with star but with dot in exergue, the dot most likely intended for a star." However, these coins are known from all the workshops and must be a separate issue after RIC VII Constantinople 38








    here is a rarer campgate from Constantinople

    Constantius_Constantinople_40.jpg

    Constantius II
    A.D. 328
    Ӕ nummus 18mm 2.8g
    FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; campgate with two turrets and star between them, in left field S
    in ex. CONS✶
    RIC VII Constantinople 40








    and I got this posthumous Constantius I half follis from Rome as an upgrade

    Constantius_Rome_111.jpg

    Divo Constantius I
    A.D. 317- 318
    Ӕ ½ follis 15mm 1.7g
    DIVO CONSTANTIO PIO PRINC; laureate and veiled head of Constantius I right.
    MEMORIAE AETERNAE, eagle standing right, head left.
    In ex. RS
    RIC VII Rome 111
     
    philologus_1 and geekpryde like this.

Share This Page