Some insane doubling on this 1976 nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bluntflame, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a fine response to my comment, of which I am very serious. Your coin does show signs of doubling but the doubling is normal and common. That's why I said NAV. Another term is worthless doubling as it's so common. Specifically I believe your coin to be DDD which is caused by a worn die. However the doubling is caused on your coin, it's NAV. It's a nice example that you should keep and learn from.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

You are correct. I was in my favorite coin shop recently when an elderly man came in with a 1916 penny to sell. He had read it was extremely valuable coin and wanted to cash in. He was not willing to listen to them and finally stormed out.
    But there’s simply a lot of unwarranted insulting that can be tempered back a bit. I love the humor here but it can go too far. When the goal is to make somebody feel stupid or unwelcome, the line has been crossed.
    I was a trainer for AT&T and also teach metal detecting to kids. I often say there are no stupid questions but there ARE stupid answers.

4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Let’s remember that any of us can have a bad day, but hopefully not to the extent where we castigate a new member. And if we do, a PM to let them know circumstances got the better of us would go a long way. A site like this one will draw a number of folks to it for a myriad of reasons. Some superficial…others with intrigue. It’s our community to build and if we desire folks to ‘like what they see’ as they come and go, it’ll take our broader effort and patience as community members to vet the superficial from the early hobbyist. Let the one-and-done’s come and go on a high note. It’s not worth risking damage to a newbie hobbyist who is just settling into the hobby…and our community.

Draft saved Draft deleted