Some info on my Conder Tokens.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

DSCN9359-horz.jpg

This one depicts Bishop Blaise, who was the patron saint of wool combers, he was tortured to death with them. He is holding a bible in one hand and a wool comb in the other.

The obverse reads" Success to the woolen manufactory". At first I thought "The Woolen Manufactory" was an actual company, but as it turns out, manufactory is an obsolete word for factory.

The reverse depicts the coat of arms of Exeter, the top reads "Exeter HalfPenny". I'm not sure what the hat is about.

The edge reads "Payable at the Warehouse of Samuel Kingdon".

Samuel Kingdon was an ironmonger (supplier of consumer goods).

More on the token here:
    http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_people/kingdonsam.php

The token's rarity is listed as "common" in the Dalton and Hammer's book.

Exeter is a city in the county of Devonshire.

Here is the second token. It's from Norwich, a city in the county of Norfolk.

The obverse depicts a figure of hope, which says "Prosperity to old England". The reverse depicts a bottle and the words "More Trade and Fewer Taxes".

A variety of this token has the edge as lettered "Richard Dinmore & Son Norwich", however mine has a plain edge. The plain and lettered edge are listed as common, the milled edge is rare/
    DSCN9361-horz.jpg

To anyone who collects world coins, I highly recommend getting into conder tokens. They offer history depictions of then English times, and there are several publications to help catalog them.

Attached Files:

chrsmat71, jj00 and John Anthony like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted