Some Dispassionate Advice Required - GB Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, May 26, 2020.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Maybe if your LCS is on the internet, I can browse their website from time to time and pick up a nice key date at melt+premium :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1934 Wreath Crown

Heritage....they charge 9+20%. Far too much unless two or more of their clients get into a bidding war.;)

4. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks. I've dropped them a line. I noticed though that they mainly deal in US coins and only in certified material. Much of my older collection is raw. Let's wait and see what they say. Cheers

5. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Good advice.

6. 1934 Wreath Crown

Interesting.......Not one member suggested I don't sell some of the coin. I accept that for later participants, the photos had been edited out (sorry moderators if this was against policy).

So we are unanimously agreed that it is a good time to rationalise one's collection!!!

And only one member generously offered to take care of some of them for me (Thanks @furryfrog02 :D:D:D).

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Then if you know the route you are going to take, why did you ask?

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

Am I not permitted to seek the opinion or advice of other members here according to your response @TheFinn??? Read the OP please. I asked 2 specific things. Do fellow members feel I should sell coins of that nature/grade (photo now deleted) and if yes, what route would they take/recommend? If you don't wish to contribute, you are welcome to block the thread and it won't bother you.

However, I'm glad I asked CT members because I got a lot of useful input and leads., some of which have been very helpful.

9. delawaredoons

delawaredoons New Member

Thanks for continuing to demonstrate you don't have a clue about the coin biz.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yeah, what would he know, he's only the senior administrator of this site. :hilarious:

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, welcome to CT...boy you got a lot to learn. Are YOU a coin dealer?

12. delawaredoons

delawaredoons New Member

I have lurked here for two years and watched him dispense terrible advice time and time again. Senior administrator or not, he clearly has not had his feet wet in the business of buying and selling coins in quite a while. The buy-sell spreads have expanded greatly over the past 10 years, especially in more esoteric stuff. What is esoteric? Anything not US.

Dealers who deal in the types of coins the original poster has and wants to part with do not offer anything remotely near what he would get from consigning that material to auction or selling it himself on eBay, even with the issues regarding international shipping. I would guess a dealer would look to buy his material for around half of retail, whereas he could probably net 65-70% of retail selling it on his own.

Better yet, send it to GreatCollections and let Ian handle it all. That man is marvelous and worth every cent he makes there.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  13. delawaredoons

delawaredoons New Member

I am not a dealer myself, but I do buy and sell to fund my collection habits now that I am on limited income. I suppose you could call me a vest dealer.

14. delawaredoons

delawaredoons New Member

Heritage always gives me 100% of hammer and keeps the buyers premium for themselves. I would suggest giving them another call and see if they are willing to haggle some more.

If not, contact Ian at GreatCollections. They charge 5% to you under $1,000, 0% over $1,000! Buyers premium is only 10%, or 12.5% depending on how the buyer pays. I have consigned several items through them and they are, hands down, the best experience for collectors like you and I.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Fair 'nuf, but perhaps yours was not the most diplomatic use of one's first post as a new member.

That's your prerogative, though.

16. delawaredoons

delawaredoons New Member

Yes, I should apologize. I made an irritated post, then when it did not go through, signed up for an account, and found the post was retroactively submitted! Quite a surprise, I would have been far more diplomatic if I had realized that would be the case.

17. lordmarcovan

Your first ten or so posts have to go through a probationary period wherein moderator approval is required before they appear publicly. (I wish the site explained more about that to new members- I have forgotten what the page looks like, myself.) After the short probationary period, that goes away and we no longer have to vet every post you make.

When I approved your first post (didn't see any others in the queue), I was somewhat surprised that a scornful post towards Doug/ @GDJMSP was the very first thing you chose to say, but I approved it nonetheless, just as he likely would have.

FWIW, I do agree with much of the advice you dispensed (once you got around to that). Except I lack personal experience in consigning to auction. I am a collector of esoterics, but have always sold stuff on my own - usually here or on Collectors Universe (no commission fees), or on eBay.

I reckon a lot of my material isn't quite valuable enough to make third-party consignment worthwhile. For @1934 Wreath Crown, though, it may well be. I've heard good things about Great Collections, but so far my only experience with them is as a buyer (only twice), and not a consignor.

18. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Here is the thing for World coins, you don't just take it to any coin shop.....ones that deal in US will not want world coins or will buy it for cheap. You have to go to ones that deal in world coins. I collect only world coins right now and if I wanted to sell my coins, I contact certain world coin dealers as well as either Stacks, heritage, or great collections. Also jkcoins on ebay or if you know of certain world dealers on ebay. Its the same thing if you have US coins, you don't offer them to world coin dealers, you offer them to those that specialize in US.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. 1934 Wreath Crown

I could squeeze Sam at heritage and see what deal he would offer as I am a regular buyer there. I would probably consign high end stuff to them as their client base seems more focused on grade more than any other auction house.

I like the deal offered at GC but they seldom achieve top dollar on world coins. Again I’m a net buyer there. But you’re correct in saying they can do some great things and offer flexibility to both buyers and sellers. Will probably try them out for a few coins and see how they perform.

Draft saved Draft deleted