Featured Some coins that depict Britannia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Dec 17, 2019.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I think most CT participants are aware of my special interest in Romano-Britannic coins because of my roots. Here are some Roman Imperial and latter day coins that depict Britannia on the reverse. Please post any other examples.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. II, HADRIAN, Sestertius, No. 845 (Replica coin)
    Obverse: Hadrian, laureate head right
    Reverse: Britannia seated half left with feet on rocks holding sceptre with shield to right
    I included this modern reproduction because I have been unable to find a presentable genuine coin of this iconic issue in my price range - despite years of searching. Purportedly this replica was cast from a specimen coin in the British Museum collection.

[​IMG][​IMG]

RIC II, ANTONINUS PIUS, As, No. 934
    Obverse: Antoninus Pius, laureate, draped, bust facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TRP XVIII
    Reverse: Britannia seated left on rock, shield and vexillum in background

[​IMG][​IMG]

RIC II, COMMODUS, Sestertius, No. 452
    Obverse: Commodus, Laureate head facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT
    Reverse: Victory (Britannia?) seated right, writing on shield

[​IMG]
    BRITISH HALF PENNY TOKEN (legal tender at Liverpool & Bristol)
    Obverse: portrait of Admiral Lord Howe (victor over French Fleet)
    Reverse: Britannia, seated left, holding spear with right hand and resting left arm on shield

[​IMG][​IMG]
    BRITISH TWO PENCE (Circulated)
    Obverse: George III, laureate and draped bust, facing right
    Reverse: Britannia, seated left, on rock over ocean waves, cradling trident in left arm and holding olive branch in right hand

[​IMG][​IMG]
    BRITISH PENNY (Circulated)
    Obverse: George V, bare headed, facing left
    Reverse: Britannia wearing Corinthian helmet, seated right, holding trident with left hand and supporting shield with right hand

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

edited

Oups! Sorry. I didn’t realize this coin enters the category “political discussion”. It’s my bad...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Heavymetal, ominus1, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here is the one in the British Museum. It is one of the few coins in their collection that is on display at the Museum!

00362536_001_l.jpg

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super coins on Britannica, @jamesicus ! Great progression through Ancient, and then Modern histories. Were there any depicting Britannica after the Classical age and before the Modern era?

I enjoy the history of Boudicca and the Iceni. I understand that later times associate Boudicca to Britannica.

This was minted during the times that Boudicca went berserk on the Romans (rightfully so, to me.)[​IMG]
    Celtic Britain Iceni Boudicca 61 CE 1.03g Celt Hd r Celtic horse galloping Seaby 434 Scarce

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent coins @jamesicus !

I don't have any ancient coin depicting Britannia, but one celebrating victory over the britts

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, Denarius - Rome mint AD 210
    SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate head of Sevrus right
    VICTORIAE BRIT, Victory facing, holding palm and attaching shield to palm tree
    2.72 gr
    Ref : RCV #6384, Cohen #729

And some more modern stuff with Britannia on them

Sp3776-1797b.jpg

Sp3780-1807b.jpg

Sp4157-1967b.jpg

Q

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins! I have a Geta as with Britannica. Not a pretty one.

Geta - As Brittanica rev Aug 2018 (1a).JPG

Geta Æ As
    (210-212 A.D.) Rome Mint

P SEPTIMIVS GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right, slight drapery on left shoulder / VICTORIAE BRITTANICAE Victory seated left on shields, holding shield & palm, SC in ex.
    RIC 191b; Akerman Brit p. 68; Sear 7285 var. (bust type).
    (8.09 grams / 24 mm)

galba68, Curtisimo, thejewk and 3 others like this.
  8. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This old half penny was minted 1770-1775, a George III first issue type. Recently given to me by a friend, it was part of his late father's collection. I have hundreds of other coins with Britannia on them, and this one just seems different somehow. 1770-1775 GB 1-2 p obv.JPG 1770-1775 GB 1-2 p rev.JPG

Curtisimo, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  9. coin_nut

Here is how it might have looked a few hundred years earlier...pix copied from Numista site. 2710-original.jpg 2711-original.jpg

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Rather than being cast from the BM coin, this was pressed from modern dies made while referring to the BM coin.
    https://coinreplicas.com/product/hadrian-117-138-ad-ae-roman-imperial-sestertius/
    "Made in USA"

There are several companies in the business of making replica ancients which will fool no one with much exposure to the real thing but become a problem to us when people find them in "grandpa's things" and think we are cheating them when we tell them the coin is not genuine. Of the ones found online with a quick search, this is probably the best but it is aimed at the museum gift shop market rather than at members of Coin Talk. If you look at their other products, you may recognize coins we have been shown here by people who drop in hoping they have found a treasure.

coin_nut and Cucumbor like this.
  11. Lawrence Chard

Lawrence Chard Junior Member

The Hadrian Replica made me jump for a second, as we have been looking out for a minty Hadrian with seated Britannia for the last 10 years or more.
    We do have a earlier coin:
    Four horse chariot (quadriga) & "DEBRITANN" on reverse of silver didrachm (two drachms) with inscription "DEBRITANN".
    One of the earliest mentions of Britain or Britannia on Roman coins.
    "De Britann" Below Emperor Driving Quadriga on Reverse of Roman Silver Didrachm of Claudius.
    41 to 54 AD Claudius Didrachm - Chariot & "DEBRITANN" Reverse.jpg
    Of course, we would like to get hold of the similar gold Aureus, but it might be a long wait.

We are also proud of this early seated Britannia:
    154 to 155 AD Britannia on Reverse of Bronze "As" of Antoninus Pius
    154 to 155 AD Britannia on Reverse of Bronze "As" of Antoninus Pius.jpg

The first mention on British coins was:
    1672 Copper Farthing of Charles II Britannia Seated - Reverse
    although there was a halfpenny issued with the same date (I can't remember which of these two were issued first).
    1672 Copper Farthing of Charles II Britannia Seated - Reverse.jpg

We do in addition have numerous other photos of Britannia, mainly on British coins.
    Some are on one of our old "legacy" websites at https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=britannia.html
    We stopped actively updating this site a few years ago, and are still in the process of porting many of our old information pages to our newer site chards.co.uk

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  12. coin_nut

Britannia in various depictions. With lion, above flowers, with sea high and low tide, with ship and or light house, most seated some standing. 1734 GB half p rev.JPG 1806 GB 1 p rev.JPG 1825 GB farthing rev.JPG 1839 GB 4 p rev.JPG 1855 GB 1 p rev (2).JPG 1861 GB half p rev.JPG 1895 GB farthing rev.JPG

13. coin_nut

And a few more...note some have smooth sea and some have waves. 1902 GB 1 d obv.JPG 1903 GB florin rev (2).JPG 1936 GB farthing rev.JPG 1937 GB 1 p rev.JPG 1979 GB 50 np rev.JPG 2015 GB 2 p BR rev.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted