Some Bad News, But Some Good News Too

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johndakerftw, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Hey Everyone,

What's up?

I'll start with the bad news first. My brother and I are not speaking at the moment because of a fight over Netflix, of all things. But, it goes much deeper than that. :(

On the good side, my case worker came to visit the other day and noticed the Widow's Mites I had on the table (I put them there on purpose :D). I told her about them and she seemed genuinely interested and fascinated by them.

Now, the best news. I got my last coin of 2017, which also happens to be my first coin of 2018. :cool: Inspired by LaCointessa's gift to Deacon Ray, I found one of my own on Warren's site.

Attachment-1 (17).jpeg Attachment-2 (9).jpeg

Pisidia, Etenna AE
    Date: circa 1st Century BC
    Obverse: Nymph advancing right, entwined with snake
    Reverse: Knife with curved blade

Definitely a sweet coin to start the year out with!

Feel free to post anything random and irrelevant, as always. :D

Erin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pirgah

pirgah Member

Sorry to know about your bad news. After my mother passed away (7 years) my brothers never visited me. I understand they have their jobs, they live far away, their children now are teenagers. Only thing I can do is to pray for them. May God give them health and prosperity.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sorry about your current family discord. I hope it resolves soon.

I love your Etenna! I have the same type, purchased after admiring a similar Etenna shown by @chrsmat71 (there's that coinstalking phenomenon again :D)

[​IMG]
    PISIDIA, Etenna
    1st century BCE
    AE chalkous, 14 mm, 2.1 gm
    Obv: Nymph advancing right, head left, holding coiled serpent in both hands; to left, oinochoe
    Rev: ET-EN Curved knife
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 147. SNG Paris 1334 = SNG von Aulock 466

Last year I tried making some brief videos of individual coins to show the in-hand look a bit better. That works well for silver. For bronze... I don't think it adds much.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

(In dad voice) Don't make me break out the "get along shirt"!
    [​IMG]

;):D

Just kidding, I'm sure all will be resolved soon! Cool that someone showed interested in your coins! But pretty dang cool you share that interest with your brother, that's awesome!

I love those Pisidia nymph/snake combos!
    [​IMG]

Pisidia, Etenna. 1st century AD.

Obv.: Nymph grappling with snake, amphora in left field. Rev.: E-T, sickle-shaped knife. 19 mm, 3.5 g. Hans von Aulock, Pisidiens, 522

6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Sorry about the sibling squabble, Erin. But, I'm seriously elated about your pretty pink patinated Etenna snake draped nymph and knife.
    Edited: I did not think it had a pink patina - does it? Or is it because i did not sleep last night and my vision is really off? Perhaps I am not seeing pink at all. Oh brother. Lots of hours before bedtime.

@TIF, your's is gorgeous! and the patina of @chrsmat71 's drives me wild. I know @zumbly's by heart - and I love it also.

What are you going to do about your brother? Invite him over to eat something with tons of ketchup? Homemade French fries or onion rings? A burger?

benhur767, panzerman, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Cool addition!

Johndakerftw likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin Erin. Too bad your brother and you are having some strife, but that's bound to happen once in a while. I'm sure everything will work out ok.

Johndakerftw and Deacon Ray like this.
  9. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

The whole point of brothers is for fighting, in addition to love and the rest of it. I hope the fight passes soon, and that the next fight does too!

10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I don't think your brother will be able to stay mad at you for very long ;)

Great coin, Erin!

Johndakerftw likes this.
  11. Johndakerftw

Thanks everybody! Warren reminded me that these coins could have still been around when Paul was in the area, and I think that's rad!

It would be neat if it was pink! That's just my really bad photography. :p

We would shred each other to bits in that shirt, chrsmat. Lol

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, LaCointessa. My brother is in the wrong this time and doesn't see it that way. I asked him a favour and he lashed out at me. My parents are defending him.

I moved out hoping to become stronger and more independent and I don't want to be on the receiving end of hostility. I'm trying to get away from anger and dysfunction.

I don't know if I'm right, but it's been like this for a few weeks. If we talk, it might start where it left off and neither of us need that.

Sorry to vent dudes and dudettes.

Ancient coins are boss, that's what we're here for.:cool:

Erin

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Take it from a "senior citizen" - life is too short to hold a grudge. My brother is deceased now for a couple of years, and even though we didn't always see eye to eye, I miss him.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  13. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Interesting. I spent time with my brother back in October. My broken ribs have just about healed. Some people take politics way too far.

Brian Bucklan and Johndakerftw like this.
  14. LaCointessa

Ouch! Glad you're on the mend @Muzyck.

Johndakerftw, Deacon Ray and Muzyck like this.
  15. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

My big brothers never let any other kids beat me up. That honor was reserved for them alone :eek:

Whizb4ng, Cucumbor, Curtisimo and 3 others like this.
  16. Johndakerftw

Thanks Bing, I really appreciate what you said.

I have to figure out the best way to approach him. I totally suck at handling conflict.

This is my sister and I during our last argument over dyeing my hair (I'm chubs falling off the couch. I lost. :():

giphy2.gif

Erin

17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice coin! Cute cats...call in the, "Cat Whisperer"

Johndakerftw likes this.
  18. LaCointessa

Yikes! Careful!

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach - Might it work with your brother? Could you just feed him with good food he likes and smile at him a lot?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Johndakerftw, Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That honor is not exclusive to brothers DRay! My sisters claimed that right as well :hurting::eek:

@Johndakerftw , I'm sure that you and your brother will work it out. You're both good coin-friends with great coin taste. How can anyone stay mad at such a person :angelic:

Great new coins btw

20. LaCointessa

Gosh, I always wanted a brother. Would have done anything for one. Had one (sort of informally adopted) for a while. I would never have argued with him! Hit him? I. think. not.

But sisters...oh...sisters can really be a problem!

21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Erin, tell him you understand his point of view (even if you don't really at the moment :D).

It may be difficult for you at the begining, but it seems it's the only way to "open the door" right now. And let him speak about his feelings (even if it hurts you in the first place). You will show how mature you are (to others, yes, but even more it will give you self confidence about your ability at solving conflicts), and you will be able to see things from his side (if your parents are on his side this time, maybe at least some of his views on the subject are legitimate)

As stated by @Bing life ie to short to waste time with futilities (hope your argument is futile though). The time you've lost not being together is lost forever.

Oh, and tell him you love him

:) Q

PS : I hope not being too personal

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted