Some antiquities I haven't previously posted

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Fibula fashion changed rather quickly, which is why fibulae are often important objects for the dating of other artefacts.
    I think the Anglo-Saxon migration was a mixture of military conquest in some areas and phases and peaceful expansion in other areas and in other phases.

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I thought this was a coin forum! Did'nt know you could just post anything you want. I guess thats fine and dandy if you're into old concrete lumps

4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Well, you seem to think you can drag those flags with you and post them whenever you say anything, anywhere, subjecting other people to them. I don't think they're coins. So don't complain about people posting photos of antiquities -- whether ones they own or ones in museums -- given that they happen to be part of the general category of ancient art and artifacts, together with ancient coins.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Heavymetal, Muzyck, aleppo and 13 others like this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Yeah, with those flags, don't you belong in the Foreign Coi--ahem, Paper Money forum?
    Why don't you try spending some of that, instead of the Harriet Tubman twenties that you will hate?
    ...Replacing ones with one of your obvious heroes, the guy who owned slaves and enthusiastically engaged in genocide toward First Nations.
    Generally, some of us regard (and love) America as an ongoing project, rather than a comic book.
    Regarding, ahem, actual history (along with such other minor details as empirically verifiable fact, and ...oops, gonna do it... truth), it's kind of like this. Whether in the case of 1865, or 2021, it's kind of like,
    We Won. Get Over It. (...And yourself.)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  6. antwerpen2306

antwerpen2306 New Member

for your scarab with untranslated hieroglyfs :
    first line : nsw nfr nsw :
    nsw : king of Upper and Lower Egypt
    nfr : good, beautifull, powerfull
    translation : The good king of Upper en Lower Egypt
    second line : ankh khpr ankh, under khpr : nb
    ankh : life
    kheper : become, being born
    neb : lord, king
    translation : ankh kheper, the king , this is the name of a king, only know from scarabs. I have one with the name Ra Kheper, in this Hyksos period, more than one king is unknown.
    You have also here a symmetry in the signs, what happens regularly on scarabs.
    For the datation, Hyksos periode , about 1700-1500 BC, a better datation is possible . I hope I helped you with this. albert

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you so much! It never occurred to me that someone here might be able to translate this scarab.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You have some beautifull antiquities Donna:) Sadly, a lot of people today do not appreciate classical art/ music/ architecture.
    John

9. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

10. I need help

I need help Member

Thank you Donna (étal) for sharing your antiquities! :)

scottishmoney and DonnaML like this.
  11. +VGO.DVCKS

I have one of those (rats, no pics). The common attribution there is an African ethnic profile, rather than a more generic grotesque.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Your an idiot

Theodosius, Magnus87, Volodya and 2 others like this.
  13. Mammothtooth

He is an idiot...

14. +VGO.DVCKS

Speaking of concrete lumps, his are looking to require surgery.

15. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting and in its completeness probably unique assemble of Gothic (East Germanic) jewellery from my collection. The objects date to the 4th century.
    The objects in the left top corner are miniature utensils/tools and functioned as amulets. The doughnut-shaped object in the bottom right is a lead spindle whorl with Germanic pseudo runes. The two small fibulae are complete, unrestored and fully functional. The large fibula is also unrestored and complete, but the silver pin is bend and stuck.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 09.52.43.png

Theodosius, Magnus87, seth77 and 7 others like this.
  16. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Tejas......Lovely Fibulas!:woot:

Mammothtooth likes this.
  17. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Beautiful items! Fabulous.

Were the beads part of the same find??

The item on bottom left is likely a belt strap end, likely matching the buckle on bottom right.

SC

Mammothtooth likes this.
  18. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

A treasonous idiot at that...

aleppo, Theodosius, Magnus87 and 2 others like this.
  19. Mammothtooth

Very nice, did you participate in the finding ?

20. Mammothtooth

Have you been to Kalkriese

21. +VGO.DVCKS

...Yeah, minor detail....
    Magnificent subcollection, @Tejas! The sheer accumulation of (great) stuff, all from the same time and place, is a real, instant gestalt.

DonnaML, Mammothtooth and Volodya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted