Some antiquities I haven't previously posted

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jan 24, 2021.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@DonnaML (and everyone else), those are all phenomenal.
    Regarding the Hellenistic esthetic, with its seeming reaction to the more idealized Hellenic ethos, I always liked to see parallels between that and the increased emotional content and 'naturalism' in Mannerist sculpture (later 16th c.), relative to the early and High Renaissance.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Yes completely agree!.....The Trumpet is my favourite as I dug this one out of the ground myself and took a great deal of time to clean...The disc brooch I bought from a reputable dealer in the UK from a 1970's collection. Donna if you ever do start to collect Fibulas one of the main look outs is 'Bronze disease', it can be very common!

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the illuminating discourse on grotesque sculptures in ancient Greece. For me it certainly breaks the stereotype of Hellenistic art always depicting the perfect, sometimes almost too perfect human form.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Though I have some nice pieces, my collection is more quantity over quality.

Some small Roman bronze statuettes and fragments.
    statuary.jpg

Phalerae, simpulum (ladles) and other bronze fragments.
    phalerae and fragments.jpg

Medical Tools, Vessel Fragments and Locks.
    vessels locks and medical.jpg

Plaster Fragments, Stone and Terra Cotta Fragments and Lead Weights.
    stone and misc.jpg

Lead Votive Plaques and Legion Bricks.
    pb plaques.jpg

I have lots more, including some 15 trays of fibulae, but I think I will stop there.

SC

seth77, tibor, Theodosius and 12 others like this.
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I was just looking through the antiquities section in the current Harlan J. Berk 214th Buy or Bid Sale, and notice that there's a small grotesque head of an old man still for sale as Lot 443, for the Buy price of $900. (I paid $350 for mine in 1998). It's in bronze (rather than terracotta), and it's Roman, circa 2nd Century AD (rather than Greek, 400 years earlier), but the size is comparable and the design looks remarkably similar to me. Which suggests the persistence of that cultural "meme." See two of the photos, at https://www.hjbltd.com/api/util/img?i=https://www.hjbltd.com/antiquities/images/antq/aq13725c.jpg and
    https://www.hjbltd.com/api/util/img?i=https://www.hjbltd.com/antiquities/images/antq/aq13725b.jpg.

happy_collector and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I keep trying to click the "PURCHASE" button on your pic, but it won't let me take it away from you... :)

GREAT wall pic!!!

jdmKY, DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

seth77, tibor, panzerman and 9 others like this.
  9. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

@DonnaML and @jdmKY your collections are very impressive!

How wonderful.....its like having your own private mini museums! Maybe somewhere down the road I'll acquire antiquities too....you're certainly inspiring me to do so!

jdmKY and DonnaML like this.
  10. DonnaML

@Ryro, these are great. I'm curious: in the bottom photo, what's the little terracotta (I assume) figure of a woman in the far right corner? It looks very interesting.

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  11. DonnaML

I think they all look fascinating! I wish you had labels on them, so I could see what they are.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. DonnaML

Indeed it is. When my son was little, he used to refer to all my antiquities (together with some of my other little collections) as the "[our last name] museum."

It's been very nice to find out that I'm far from the only one here who thinks that collecting ancient coins and collecting antiquities complement each other very naturally. And that one can do both, on a modest scale, without having piles of money.

Ryro, Romancollector and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  13. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I only have these few. Don't know where they are from and what are their dates:
    a spear head (I think it is) - must have seen a lot of battles Spear head.jpg

Kouros with his enigmatic smile that I like very much:
    Kouros.jpg

Kouros - upper body.jpg

an Amphora mouth:
    Amphora mouth.jpg

a horse head
    Horse head.jpg

and an oil lamp
    Oil lamp.jpg

Ryro, tibor, dlhill132 and 5 others like this.
  14. cmezner

Don't know if these books qualify as antiquities and they are pretty much useless because they are written in Latin :rolleyes:

Re Nummaria Antiqui.jpg

1st page:
    1st page - Re Nummaria.jpg

and any page ups, this picture is really blurred, but I hope you get the idea how each issue is described
    any page Re Nummaria.jpg

And Romanorum Numismata:
    Romanorum Numismata 1st page.jpg

any page - this is better but in Latin
    Romanorum Numismata any page.jpg
    it has beautiful prints, e.g.
    Romanorum Numismata.jpg

Ryro, seth77, tibor and 7 others like this.
  15. DonnaML

Wow. These are great, and the kouros is particularly amazing, especially as a complete figure. How tall is it? (I'm hoping that you're going to tell me it's life-sized, like the ones I've seen at museums!) And where in the world did you find it to buy (assuming that you're the person who purchased it)?

cmezner and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  16. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Double-ear pommel from a sword, Iran, c. 1200 - 800 BC.

17. +VGO.DVCKS

@cmezner, I don't know if you're being ironic in the first place, but Please, Don't apologize for their being in Latin!!! ...Okay, after the first wave of Autism Spectrum, I'm thinking you were ...being ironic.

cmezner likes this.
  18. cmezner

oh no, it is not life-sized. He is only 7 ½ inches. My dad bought it, he really was one of a kind, a Renaissance man, will always miss him. When he had to travel for business to Europe, he always took the opportunity to travel to places he wanted to go after his meeting were over. He went to Greece, Italy, Egypt among others and always bought and brought with him pieces that he loved and found interesting. Luckily, we were able to bring to the US all these, and also his coin collection, when we moved here in 2007, else they would have been lost.

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  19. cmezner

from Iran and so old? I am impressed! Thank you for "attributing" it :happy: Now I wonder where my dad got it, because he never traveled to Iran...

20. cmezner

oh no, I am not being ironic at all. Let me guess, you can read Latin? I have been trying to learn it, but these books are well above of what I have learned...not to mention the Greek words that are included in the description of coins

21. +VGO.DVCKS

With apologies, @cmezmer, I cannot (to segue to 'American English' --which sometimes strikes me as an oxymoron), that's, Can, Not read Latin (except for what collectors, whether of ancient or medieval, refer to as 'Coin Latin'). This very day, on this forum, I was envying someone who had gotten Latin in high school. I was not so lucky.
    ...But there are too many languages I wish I knew any more of than I do. Yoruban. Sanskrit. Hebrew. Arabic. I'm missing some....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    cmezner and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted