Some 4-1/2 assaria pieces from Tomis in Moesia Inferior

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I think these odd denomination coins of Tomis on the Black Sea are interesting, so I pick them up when I can. The first of these examples is a new acquisition.

In many cities of the Black sea region, coins of 1 assarion, 2, 3, 4 and 5 assaria were struck, bearing as digits Α, Β, Γ, Δ and Ε. Coins with intermediate values were also issued. The denomination value on these examples is marked by letter Δ together with a semis sign <. Letter Δ, being the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet, stands for the value of 4. The half of assarion was marked by a semis sign, <, so these coins were worth 4½ assaria; these signs may appear separate or ligate, depending on the issue.

The coins of 4½ assaria are specific to Tomis, while the design with confronted busts was in widespread use throughout the eastern Roman Empire. A possible explanation for this odd denomination is proposed here @dougsmit 's page. The value of 1 denarius was, officially, 16 assaria and the coins may have been used when converting the local bronzes into silver denarii. Moneychangers typically bought and sold denarii at slightly different rates. For example, a denarius might be bought at 16 assaria and sold for 18 (or four of these 4 1/2 coins).

I can’t think of a more plausible explanation, and I think Doug’s explanation is more than reasonable.

Post your coins bearing numerical denominations, fractional denominations, bizarre denominations, or anything you feel is relevant!

Gordian III and Tranquillina Tomis Hygeia 2 Savoca.jpg
    Gordian III, with Tranquillina, A.D. 238-244
    Roman provincial AE 4.5 assaria, 12.80 g, 28.2 mm, 7 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Tomis, A.D. 241-244.
    Obv: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC // CABINIA TPA / NKVΛΛINA, confronted laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right and diademed, draped bust of Tranquillina left.
    Rev: MHTPOΠON-TOV TOMEΩC, Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent from patera; Δ< (ligate) in lower left field.
    Refs: AMNG I (Pick) 3534.
    Note: Easily confused with the more commonly encountered Moushmov 2288, AMNG 3535, which does not bear a mark of value and may have been tariffed at four assaria.

Gordian III and Tranquillina Tomis Nemesis.JPG
    Gordian III, with Tranquillina, A.D. 238-244.
    Roman provincial AE 4.5 assaria, 28.92 mm, 15.89 g, 7:00.
    Moesia Inferior, Tomis, A.D. 241-244.
    Obv: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC // [C]ABINIA (TP)AN / KVΛΛINA, confronted laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right and diademed, draped bust of Tranquillina left.
    Rev: MHTPO ΠONTOV TOMEΩC, Nemesis standing facing, head left, holding arshin (rod) and sling, wheel at feet; Δ - < (denomination) in fields.
    Refs: AMNG I 3537; Varbanov 5701; Moushmov 2279; Cf. SNG Cop 305.

Gordian III and Tranquillina Tomis Homonoia.jpg
    Gordian III, AD 238-244, and Tranquillina.
    Roman provincial Æ tetrassarion, 12.51 g, 26.6 mm, 12 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Tomis, AD 241-244.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ·CЄ // ΤΡΑΝΚVΛ / ΛЄΙΝΑ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian, right, facing diademed and draped bust of Tranquillina, left.
    Rev: ΜΕΤΡΟ ΠΟΝΤΟV ΤΟΜΕΩC, Homonoia standing facing, head left, wearing polos and holding patera and cornucopiae; Δ< (ligate) in left field.
    Refs: AMNG I 3545; Varbanov 5693; Moushmov 2276; SNG Cop --; BMC --; Lindgren --; Sear --.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    seth77, nicholasz219, eparch and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You left out the best one. This Philip II is one and a half (>A). They are not as common as the 4 1/2 coins.
    po2400b0612lg.jpg

My other favorite is this coin of larger size with something removed from the die in the left reverse field leaving a raised lump. Was it a 4 1/2 mark? I'd love to know but that would require finding a coin from the die before it was altered. I've seen a couple of these from this die but they were post alteration.
    po2170b00157lg.jpg

I have been called many things but 'reasonable' does not come up all that often.

nicholasz219, eparch, PeteB and 8 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Who is that on the reverse? It looks like auction company catalogers don't agree-- Homonoia, Concordia, Tyche, other?

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I had it listed as Tyche but that means nothing.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

With a patera and cornucopiae, I'd say it was Homonoia/Concordia, as those are her attributes. Moreover, there several issues of this denomination from Tomis that clearly depict Tyche holding a rudder (AMNG I 3547-3552).

galba68 and TIF like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A very interesting thread, and one that has been helpful to me while trying to figure out this sorry AE. It came in a lot that I "accidentally" obtained while pursuing a countermark I wanted. Bad as it is, it is my first Tranquillina, so I am pretty excited.

The problem is, I am not sure I am attributing it correctly - given its condition, full attribution may not be possible. I think this might be the Tomis with Homonoia, Varbanov 5693 you posted. A couple of things:

1. I cannot find the mark of value. As bad as it is, I'd think I'd see it somewhere. Then there is Doug's example where the value has been removed.

2. The reverse Homonoia seems to have dropped her cornucopia? Or do I have the wrong goddess? Hygieia usually feeds her snake from the other side.

3. Is mine an obverse die match to yours? Mine is so awful this may be a fantasy on my part, but it would sure be cool if it were true.

Mine is 27 mm and weighs 12.76 grams, which seems to put it in the 4-1/2 assarion range.

Gordian III & Tranq - Tomis Homo. lot May 2020 (0).jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very interesting coins folks. And @Roman Collector I will keep my eyes open for a coin from Tomis.

Draft saved Draft deleted