Soldiers and Their Gear

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jwt708, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I don't normally do this, but I got a couple of new coins I wanted to share with everyone because I'm just so excited to add them to my collection. @Sallent scroll past the first two...they'll only get you worked up.

First up was purchased as an upgrade to a coin I already own. This is a first for my ancient collection. I plan on keeping both coins. First the original coin:

[​IMG]
    Constantine I
    AE, follis, 3.2g, 16.5mm; 6h; Trier, AD 330-335
    Obv.: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-[ITVS]; two soldiers standing facing each other, each holding spear and resting hand on shield, palm branch between two standards, Os on standards
    In Ex.: TRS

The upgrade:

[​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 306-337
    Æ Follis, 18mm, 2.3g, 6h; ; Trier mint, AD 332-333.
    Obv.: CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS; two soldiers holding spears and shields with two standards between them with thin pointed banners
    In Ex.: TR•S
    Ex YOC Collection

Ok, so they're not the same coin! Same ruler, same reverse type, same mint...
    Anyway, the new addition is just a really wonderful coin. Fine style, nice strike, little wear, and very glossy. Also this is a reverse type I have a soft spot for and will buy any nice one I can afford.

My second latest addition happened when I messaged our own John Anthony and asked him to find something I would like at Baltimore. Well man did he come through!

[​IMG]
    Thrace, Mesembria.
    Æ21, 6.0g, 12h; 450-350 BC.
    Obv
    .: Crested Macedonian helmet r.
    Rev.: METAM-BPIANΩN; Shield seen from back with handle and supports projecting from the central boss.

I'm big into military themed coins and this one fits the bill! Helmet and shield! I can't be more pleased. I love this coin! I feel like @stevex6 when he gets a coin with an animal on both sides, and one has wings!

I suppose keeping with the helmet theme, John had got a coin for me before he thought I would like, and just like now he hit the nail right on the head:

[​IMG]
    Diodotus Tryphon, Selecuid Kingdom, 142-138 BC
    AE18, 5.4g; 2h; Antioch
    Obv.: Diademed head left
    Rev.: BΑΣΙΛΕΩS TPYΦANO AYTOKPATOPOS; Legend to left and right of spiked Macedonian helmet left ornamented with ibex-horn; monogram ΙΛΣ in left field

I think this was another Baltimore pickup.

Feel free to post anything relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

the O's on the standards are Phalera -- sculpted discs which were awarded for various military exploits

Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great pickups, esp. the Constantine I AE Follis/ really nice reverse design. The obverse portrait is very realistic looking:D Always such a good feeling to acquire new coins.

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coins, Jwt708—all of them!
    I'm never going to tell anyone that their 2000 year old coin is boring! When I think that a coin that was made and handled by people 2000 years ago is boring then it's time for me to find a new hobby.

Sometimes a classic coin can benefit from some creative packaging.

FLIP_TEMPLATE_CONSTANTINE copy.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks Victor! I had no idea!

I'll add it to my notes.

panzerman likes this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ah, I'm just teasing Sallent because he has "beef" with Constantine. I love my LRBs and coins from Constantine.

Deacon Ray and panzerman like this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I think the bronze of Mesembria is quite rare. It's the first one I've ever come across in real life, and I've only seen a few recorded at auction. Here's one at CNG and another at NN. There's nothing wrong with those coins of course, but they just don't have the commanding style of yours, and yours appears to be struck from much fresher dies. It was a surprising find - you never know what's going to turn up when some older collections get sold, which is what happened at Baltimore. (It behooves one to get chummy with dealers that will set aside the new stuff just for you.)

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It is a really stunning coin in hand. The picture captures it well but there is just something to having it "in hand" that is impossible to capture. The lines on the obverse are crisp and neat with a dusty patina. Even though I didn't post it first, it will be making my list of top ten in 2017.

John Anthony likes this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I like all three. That Constantine is superb, though!

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I couldn't agree more. Very nice Constantine with standards.

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Tryphon coin is sweet. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of these.

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Jwt => those are very cool coins!! (congrats)

Oh, I happen to have one of those cool Thrace Mesembria helmet-coins ...

Thrace Helmet.jpg

Congrats again on scoring those 4 OP-winners!

:rolleyes:

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve! Actually I was really hoping to see your coin and thank you for posting it!

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice upgrade with the Constantine/soldiers, but the Messembria helmet is really something !

Congrats
    Q

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

17. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

more or less similar as the OP coin from JwT
    my low budget Constantine the Great:

P1140646.JPG

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My only Constantine...

RI Constantine I Folles 306-337 CE Captives VOTA Banner.jpg
    RI Constantine I Folles 306-337 CE Captives VOTA Banner

His Mommy:
    upload_2017-4-11_10-8-22.png
    RI Helena mother Constantine AE Follis Securitas Nicomedia mint 325-326 CE 19mm 3.3g RIC-95 Sear 16619

Bing, icerain, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for posting, Alegandron!
    Helena was an impressive woman. The History Channel featured a show about the "True Cross" a while back. She was convinced that what she found in Jerusalem was the remains of the Cross used in the Crucifixion.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted