Sold on ebay, full disclosure & pics.....

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tukas, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecigarnut

thecigarnut Member

BUncirculated - I understand the position you are coming from and perhaps I was not thorough in my explanation, I will reword it, please let me know if I am not being clear. P.s. nice comment about the 'blinders', I'll try to take yours off for you too :)

In direct response to the quote of 'un-certified error coin' - no this coin was not taken or shipped to an authentication or grading location in reference to the possibility of a 'mint production error', I 100% agree with you on that - BUT - the coin IS an authentic .01 American currency coin. Following that logic, is it wrong to state that this is an authentic (by the government) and legal penny (my direct quote you posted)? No it has not been certified by a coin dealer/grader (different word and definition from authenticated). Error coin is also under interpretation so I will repeat that for the 4th time now - The coin does contain errors as it specifically stated but does NOT contain mint errors that the buyer had assumed were insinuated.

Understanding the English language is key.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. General_Godlike

General_Godlike Dept. of Transportation

Agreed!!

100 percent agreed!

Buyers Remorse has nothing to do with it. The only reason the person wanted their money back was because they got scammed. Period

Errors that were casued outside of the mint arnt error they are alterations, which in that case the word ERROR should have never been use to describe it in the first place

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

By George I think he's got it!

5. thecigarnut

thecigarnut Member

General, I do agree with you that the term alteration should have been used in place of error, there is no denying that grammar and properly selected words should have been more carefully selected. 100% agree.

The reason I say buyers remorse is that the buyer assumed the coin was going to be validated (appraised) at a certain level - once it was not the buyer then recanted their purchase upon the stipulation that it was not worth what they paid. Had the buyer (and seller) been more educated on the specifics I highly doubt this conversation would be occurring. I do not feel the buyer was 'scammed' - all the information was there on the table and no one forced them to purchase, that was of their own free will.

side note to thread as a whole - please reread my previous statements, I have already repeated myself over 3 times and I'm tired of hashing out the same details.

Thank you,
    David

p.s. General was what your MOS? I was 0311 for my first couple tours (2003-2005) and 0231 for my remaining tours (2005-2006).

6. General_Godlike

General_Godlike Dept. of Transportation

I have read the thread over and over again lol I dont wanna read it anymore lol so I wont comment about it specifically. Its time to change the subject.

But on a better note Semper fi. I was a 3531, MTO but when we were in the field I got to play around with the LVS's. It was nice being attached to the a combat engineer battalion I got to mess around with the bull bosers sometimes too. I got out in 2000. I guess I was in the bubble. I just missed the Persian Gulf and then missed all the crap in Iraq. I should of been a sniper considering I shot a 238 out of 250, oh well. I probably should of had a better mos since I got a high 90 score on the asvab. I was stationed in Japen in 1998-1999. Glad Im not there any more.

7. T-Bone0804

T-Bone0804 Junior Member

Wow this thread has gone on forever. Considering the discussion about the auction title, the word ERROR should not have been used, as the coin was not an error, but a damaged coin. I won't comment on the legality of Paypal refunding a charge bc I'm not knowledgable on the legality, but I will say I disagree with it. To the OP, I feel you got hosed as far the buyer making a claim is concerned. If they do send the coin back, please don't repost it on eBay lol I hope you come away from this ordeal more knowledgable and I hope everything works out for you.

8. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

The coin that you sold on eBay is a fraudulent fake. You should have consulted us first. I have a coin exactly like that; it is a penny with a Montana quarter design pressed onto it. This can be done simply by putting two coins on top of each other in between two pieces of plywood, and hitting it with a hammer a few times.

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

NOT AT ALL ! A giant garage sale allows the buyer to actually hold the item they are buying. Ebay sellers bear the responsibility of accurately describing their items as well and honestly as they can so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting. I have never been burnt by a buyer, but I have been by an unethical, dishonest seller. It really sounds like you were trying to pull a fast one.

Also, at a garage sale, sellers don't get feedback. For every dissatisfied customer in a retail brick and mortar store there are 10 customers lost. At eBay, who knows how many deals are lost by a negative feedback ? Of course "quick buck" artists cannot stick around long. At least we hope they can't.

10. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Fretboard you gave this Ebay seller some good information and advice. If corrupt folks would stop putting this man made fake junk on Ebay then there would not be any problems. Even a small child can lay a coin down and put another one on top of it and hammer them together to make a impression of the other coin. I tell the sellers what they have all the time and just like this one did someone else they just lie and beat it around the bush. If this had been a real error coin then the coin would be still the same diameter and the other side not flattened and beat up.Ebay has a policy to not let folks list altered coins or fake coins. If it came right down to it a seller might even end up in jail for listing a altered coin like this one was. I never saw this coin while it was on sale or you can bet I would have told this corrupt seller a mouth full. I read where even someone had told him or her the thing looked fake and still never stopped this.

11. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Merc Crazy I sure believe you hit it right on the nail head here. Ebay should ban a few certain sellers forever.

12. Tukas

Tukas New Member

Had I known this place even existed I would have posted it here. No question.

I am more than a little disappointed with the vitriol and accusatory remarks I have received.
    Was I being too forward?

Had I been a coin dealer or collector prior to finding this coin, I might have known that the words "error coin" was a numismatic sacred cow, I surely would have used other descriptive language.

I would like to thank the solid, non judgmental, clear headed information I received from cigarnut, redwin, & claygump. Thanks guys!:thumb::high5:

Crazy Dimebag is now taken to sending me private message with not-so-flattering photos of autistic people (he is trolling again:rollling:) to make himself feel better and I would not want to get all snarky and post them here to make him look bad.

Please let the power(s) that be, close this thread. -please:bow:

13. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Buy the coin not the slab..........................

If 39 bidders bid on it, then 39 bidders accepted what Tukas sold. From $54 to $185, the same two people, most of the time, drove the bid up even if nobody else bidded. My guess, is that they seemed to want it bad, so that they would discourage people from buying it.

There was a demand, and it's UNCERTIFIED, meaning it is not certified, meaning that it is not his responsibility to say "Oh, It is a fake"

Lets not end up like the How to tone a coin thread!!!!!!

14. Tukas

Tukas New Member

Thanks for the pov Jcak! :):thumb:

I read that toning thread, it was really interesting. It was very similar in the emotional tone as it got around here. Most of the same players too. :p lol

15. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

There was a demand, and it's UNCERTIFIED, meaning it is not certified, meaning that it is not his responsibility to say "Oh, It is a fake"

I just burst out in laughter reading this

16. BUncirculated

No but it is her responsibility to not declare it's an error when in fact she doesn't know, hasn't had an expert examine it and determine if it's a genuine error, or someone altered the coin to make it look like an error, meaning PMD, meaning Post Mint Damage.

17. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

+1

18. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Shouldn't the coin be returned to eBay instead of the seller ? Then they could be sure it was destroyed.

19. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The number of bids doesn't mean number of bidders. Nor does it mean anything at all. Perhaps a couple of shills placed 14 bids each. One thing I learned about eBay earlier is that those numbers are a waste of bytes.

20. BUncirculated

I found this to be most interesting:

The OP has an auction up right now for a 1996 P Jefferson Nickel UNIM words missing on reverse side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-P-Jefferso...81?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item230f348ab5

Here's the pic of the reverse, where you can clearly see someone removed the UNUM:

P1030337.JPG

P1030340.JPG

Atleast in this auction she didn't make any incriminating statements regarding the removal of the UNUM from the reverse, which is 100% PMD.

21. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

a pattern develops...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.