Sold on ebay, full disclosure & pics.....

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tukas, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tukas

Tukas New Member

I sold my "funny coin" I found in a massive coin jar on the Ebay.

1. I am totally not an expert, and the one I went to told me to send it in to be evaluated.

2. I ended up posting it -with full disclosure about everything I knew and did NOT know-

3. Posted photos up the cosmic wazoo WITH pointed descriptions and close ups.

4. Sold it.

5. Now buyer said they took it to an 'expert' and wants a refund.

6. I did mark it -no refunds- tho.

I asked her to send me the report from the 'expert' so I can read it. Not sure if there is one.

I am not an unreasonable person, but with all that info I posted, I am kind of in the "too bad so sad" boat.:dismay:

As you know, Ebay hath no fury like a disgruntled bidder and a negative button.

Here is the link, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150566766253&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

What do y'all think?
    Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. claygump

claygump New Member

Christ, you could not have been more descriptive. If they were willing to take the risk thinking this was worth what they paid for it then they should be willing to eat it if it turn out to be something worthless. My opinion anyway.

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Regardlesss of what you put for a return if the buyer files a snad with paypal they will get their money back, as pp will take it out of your acct.

5. Tukas

Tukas New Member

But if it was described perfectly, would that count?

6. KoinJester

All it would take is the buyer to complain and say that he has a dealer to back them up

7. Tukas

Tukas New Member

Say, or have proof?

8. KoinJester

Say, by the way is the portrait of jefferson raised or incuse?

9. Tukas

Tukas New Member

It is indented. It is a reverse image. The thing that caught my attention was the other side. If it were flattened out, with the copper coating being so thin, there would be zinc showing if it were hit with a hammer on any kind of surface. It is flat like the pictures I have seen of die adjustment strikes. I did a lot of comparing and contrasting before posting it for sale.

Also, the thickness and weight were within the normal penny weight for the zinc kind. It was also not lopsided or skewed.

10. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

The nickle was dated 1980, I assume the cent was 1980 or earlier? Copper, not zinc would be the composition of most all cents before 1982, and some in 1982.

11. KoinJester

1 Jefferson facing wrong direction
    2 incuse

It's pmd and not real most likely a hammer/squeeze job

12. Tukas

Tukas New Member

But how can it not have more detail on the flat side? If it was squished there would be features still visible, like on those squished penny machines at the zoo.

btw, I also found some info about Ebay and raw coinage.....

Raw and uncertified coins

A raw or uncertified coin is defined as any coin not
    graded by an authorized grading company. Sellers can list
    these items on eBay as long as:

* A numeric grade (such as MS-65, VF-25) is not
    included in the title of the listing. A numeric grade can
    only be included in the item description.
    * No grading company is referenced in the title or description.
    * No estimate of value (even if personal opinion) or reference
    to a price guide is included in the title or description.
    * The listing includes a photo of the coin being sold. Images
    that are dark, out of focus, edited, or might
    be misleading aren't allowed. Also, stock photos aren't allowed.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html#certified

If the listing you purchased didn't comply with these policies, then you can report it.

13. Tukas

Tukas New Member

If it was squished to get the feature off of Lincoln's head, how did all the blobbly bits stay blobbly?

I am super curious.

14. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

If you think it's legit why don't you send it in to be authenticated? Only the person who made it knows why it looks like it does. We can ponder it all day, but we'd be wasting time. Hammered or squished is what I think.

15. Tukas

Tukas New Member

Well, I really did not want to bother. (in other words I am lazy) If someone who buys this kind of coins could tell with all the photos and info and decide it is what they want, they could have it for whatever it sold for.

It started as a penny auction. I was not looking for big bucks.

Anyway, uncertified or real or fake, should the buyer have read the auction before bidding???

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Your funny coin doesn't seem too funny to the buyer and unfortunately you will have to give a refund if the buyer contacted you within 7 days or it's a fake and if you ask me here's what I think. First of all I'm sure you didn't think it would sell for that much but if you have stuff on ebay then anything is possible. I think your coin was homemade off a slight error coin, no big "test coin" to it=fake. I think you were honest in your post but the bottom line is if you still want to deal with ebay, you better cough up the refund. If I was you I would quit with asking the seller for proof and all that nonsense as you don't have a leg to stand on. good luck!

17. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

The buyer bought your coin just in case it was real, and intended to look at it and send it back if it was fake. No returns means nothing, the buyer can file SNAD and get a refund no matter what. There is nothing more you could have done or not done to avoid taking a return, and the buyer most like knew that going in.

18. Derekg

Derekg Member

That's why every time i make an auction in ebay i place " PLEASE READ ALL DESCRIPTION AS I WILL NOT BE REFUNDING IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! Ask me questions or for more pictures before i send the item"

19. General_Godlike

General_Godlike Dept. of Transportation

20. General_Godlike

General_Godlike Dept. of Transportation

Reading the description is one thing but listing something that looks like it has solder on it and a couple smashes with a 10 lbs sledge is another. With paypal and ebay being one.......there really isnt any way to get away with listings like these. There is always recourse. I could understand listing the item that starts at 99 cents but you have to justify the means.....lets forget the fact that you got 280 for it, but a bogus coin is still a bogus coin.

21. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Just REFUND HIS MONEY.

The BEST you can do is to click issue a REFUND. The BUYER is NOT HAPPY when he/she received the merchandised and returned the product or item won from you in good faith.
    For me this is the best solution just click issue REFUND then it's over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.