SOLD: Augustus with Agrippa, AE dupondius

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Gavin Richardson, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

SOLD!

Augustus, with Agrippa, AE dupondius, struck 10-14 A.D.

PAID: $229. ASKING $220, firm.

27 mm. 13 g. 180°
    OBVERSE: IMP P P DIVI F (Imperator, Pater Patriae, Divi Filius); head of Agrippa (left), wearing rostral wreath, and head of Augustus (right), wearing laurel wreath, back to back.
    REVERSE: COL NEM; (Colony of Nemausus); crocodile chained to palm branch; wreath with trailing ribbon at top.
    RCV 1730. ex Incitatus Coins (VCoins dealer Steve McBride).

Offered here is an affordable example of one of the most desirable of all ancient Roman coins, the famous Agrippa/Augustus “crocodile” dupondius.

In 31 B.C. the forces of Augustus Caesar, commanded by his capable admiral Marcus Agrippa, defeated the combined forces of Antony and Cleopatra at the naval battle of Actium. Some veterans of this war were settled in the Roman colony of Nemausus (modern Nîmes, France). Starting in 20 B.C., the colony saluted its veterans by striking coins celebrating their great victory over Egypt. On the obverse of this coin (a later variant dating from ca. 10-14 A.D.), we see the back-to-back busts of Agrippa (L) and a laureate Augustus (R). The letters IMP, P-P, and DIVI F all celebrate Augustus as Imperator, the Father of his Country (Pater Patriae), and the Son of the Deified (Divi Filius) Julius Caesar.

On the reverse we see a palm branch along with a celebratory wreath. But the central reverse image is the crocodile chained to the palm branch, a symbol of Egypt having been taken captive.

I would like to think that this very coin passed through the hands of some aged veteran who looked at it and was reminded that he was really there at Actium with Agrippa and Augustus, decades earlier, when Rome finally brought Cleopatra’s Egypt under its sway.

Collectors of this coin note how difficult it is to find an affordable example with all the “devices” in good shape. This coin checks off many of the boxes. The legends are legible, the portrait of ever-youthful Augustus is fantastic, and the dimpled crocodile and the chain that binds him both show remarkable detail.

The only drawback of the coin is that the surfaces are uneven, which takes its toll on the portrait of Agrippa. The flan is somewhat irregular, but that is common for these issues.

The coin is glossy and dark, which makes photographing it difficult unless it catches the light. I have provided several photographs so that one might see the range of appearances in various forms of light. Ultimately, you should let the photos be your guide as to the condition of the coin. The coin with the red background is the seller’s original photo.

The coin is guaranteed authentic for life.

PayPal only. Coin will be shipped in a protective mailer once payment is received.

$5 to ship to U.S. addresses. For international addresses, PM me and I will send a shipping estimate.

I will leave this post up for one week; then I will post it on eBay at a price to help recoup eBay fees. These coins aren't getting any cheaper; now would be a good time to get yours.

IMG_4847.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018