Sold a few Morgans today—FWIW

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by oval_man, Apr 22, 2017.

1. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

For anyone wondering about the investment potential of common date/grade coins, I'm offering this small example in today's market.

I sold six common Morgans today to a dealer I like and have worked with before. All six happened to have been purchased in 2009. All are blast white, good luster, good for the grade, no spots or specks, all selected for eye appeal.

I paid $616 in total for these six. Knowing the market is soft, I was hoping for blue sheet bid ($587) and received $515, or 84% of cost.

For reference, had I put the $616 in a mutual fund paying 5% annually over the past 8 years, I would've netted $910.

The Morgans are:
    1878S PCGS MS 63 PL
    1878S PCGS MS 64
    1880S NGC MS 64
    1881S NGC MS 65
    1885 NGC MS 65
    1890S NGC MS 63

Nyatii and medjoy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Proof positive there.

oval_man likes this.
  4. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

What? That he paid way too much in '09.

5. oval_man

I believe I paid grey sheet bid (or less) for all but two and just a bit more for those two. Other than during silver's run-up, the market's been soft since.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, but look at all of the fun you would have missed.........:)

7. oval_man

That's how I look at it—I enjoyed them while I had them!

8. green18

As well you should have..........you were the curator of some pieces most historical. You held them in your possession, and looked upon them from time to time. In some ways, they were your children, but like children (they grow up) there comes the time when you have to let them go. You are more the better for experiencing the 'hands on' aspect than the investing aspect. It's the sort of thing that collectors do. Unconditional love of the hobby, with nary a thought of proper gain..........:)

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

2009 was at the high side of the market; making money on coins purchased then would be really tough today. Anyway, if I were collecting fir profit, I'd have chosen a different hobby.

Two Dogs, oval_man and -jeffB like this.
  10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Would you actually have got 5% in a fund over the last 10 years? Maybe, this has been a large artificial run up. I don't know that this would be typical for a 10 year span and there is little was to know in advance unless you have inside knowledge.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That coins are not an investment.

12. longarm

What are they then? Trinkets?

13. green18

Collectibles........investment in coins is a fools errand.

furham, dwhiz, Blissskr and 4 others like this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nah, just an anecdote. Or, to be fairer, a representative example.

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. longarm

I sold most all of my collection in 2011, so I've been more of a buyer lately than a seller, as far as coins being an investment, I look at them more as savings. A way of protecting my hard earned dollars and it's purchasing power. My investments (rentals and even my backhoe and skid steer) provide me with the funds to have savings and my savings (like in 2011) allow me to have have more investments. That's the way it works for me anyway.

16. oval_man

Part of the point of my post is the acknowledgement of timing. The S&P 500 certainly has done better than 5%/year since 2009; whether it's done so including the previous two years of the recession, I don't know offhand.

17. green18

Well, your stock (coins) will always be worth something to somebody. But the true value lies within.........I'll never recoup what I've lay'ed out......don't give a boinker neither. :)

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Surprise, surprise!

The moment I opened this thread, I fully expected someone to either belittle/berate the dealer, or blame all on the OP, even though this really is a good example of the realities of this hobby. It's very unfortunate, and simply because threads like this serve a valuable purpose for those inclined to actually listen. Kudos for taking the time to share your experience, sir.

Two Dogs, Nyatii, Kentucky and 4 others like this.
  19. oval_man

I'd like to think it's fairly representative (i.e., more than an outlying anecdote) given the items and time frame.

20. longarm

That's a shame because I've made out very well.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Did you VAM the 78s's?

Draft saved Draft deleted