Featured So... Why Quadrigas?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

OK, @zumbly clearly wins this thread, as convincingly as Secretariat. Those are Volodya-worthy. I especially like the Safranius: beautiful style, superb strike, and minty-fresh lustre.

Carthago likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

@Carthago should really give me those coins, just so that nobody is confused by that comment :p.

4. Severus Alexander

D'oh! Obviously time for me to go to bed! :wacky::dead:

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

But now you have to show us your harnesses, @zumbly...

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm pretty sure these guys are harnessed in some fashion, but I'm not entirely certain...

DC63857D-0394-4239-84E1-32B9E823DC13.jpeg

Ok, maybe these? :D

BF1DA9D8-5498-4A23-B873-479873A2C2EC.jpeg

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Curious, did you get this Gold Stater @TypeCoin971793 ??? This is one of my next Targets... It is one of the first World Gold Major Unit of Account (actually the Second)... my Achaeminid Daric was the first one:
    (If it is yours, WOW, congrats, itsa beauty!)

upload_2017-11-7_7-47-42.png
    PERSIA Achaemenid Daris I-Xerxes II 485-420 BC AV Daric 14mm 8.3g LydoMilesian Sardes king wearing kidaris kandys quiver spear bow Incuse Carr Type IIIb Group A-B pl XIII 27

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Always loved your Cupids and the banker's marks obverse on that Denarius, @zumbly !!!

zumbly likes this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That stater cost more than I have spent on school so far. So no, it is not mine (But I wish it was).

Alegandron likes this.
  10. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

I was hoping you might be able to write what the book says might be the most important invention the Chinese may have come up with in ancient times, since you are reading that Chinese invention book, I thought you might be able to provide me with a perspective from that particular author. If you haven't finished it, No Worries... but...

I watched an online lecture recently and it made the claim that the Chinese invented interchangeable parts over 2000 years ago. I remember being taught in grade school, that it was a process that was initiated by the western world in the Industrial Revolution

In the lecture, the professor, showed a mass produced crossbow trigger mechanism made out of bronze used to hold the bolt and line in place and was mass produced. It had FOUR Major interchangeable parts that were mass produced for the Emperors armies. This allowed them to decimate opponents and thus changed warfare forever.

Is this in the book? And is it given the same importance?

Thanks for you sharing all the info on the horse harness and chariot.... I'm a frequent reader of this section and love it.

11. Severus Alexander

Congrats on having your thread featured, @TypeCoin971793!

(Now a wider audience will get to laugh at my dough-headed confusion last night!)

12. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

I've only got my Byzantine photos at the office, so I may have only one or two scrappy Palaeologan coins with a horse motif, but here's a holed, but rare, one of Manuel II, but first, one of my favorite (and only) horse Alex and my grandson Aidan. Aidan and Alex.JPG S2550.jpg

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

On the ANB FH I post, I think it is. Not on the Constantinople or Alexandria I posted though

14. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Facing Quadriga

[​IMG]

Quadriga right

[​IMG]

Quadriga left

[​IMG]

Triga

[​IMG]

Biga

[​IMG]

Carthago, Mikey Zee, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  15. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Would you be willing to post (in a new thread if you prefer) a super close look at that spot? I remember Doug's discussion of the stirrups, and in my mind did associate them with the iconography of Antioch, but to this day I'm not sure I have seen one. All I recall is a round foot below the pant legging.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

17. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the body leashes for dogs in lieu of the neck leashes. It seems so common sense to us, but when it never existed back then, it must've been some next gen stuff given the ubiquity of horses then.

18. TypeCoin971793

Sorry, I have not finished the book yet. :(

But I have seen examples of the crossbow trigger assemblies come up for sale every now and then. You have inspired me to get one.

ValpoBeginner and Alegandron like this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

Thanks! 'Twas a pleasant surprise.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  20. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

@Alegandron, would you for like me to mention your recommendation of this book on the new thread about what we are reading now and what we just finished reading? Looks good.

Alegandron likes this.
  21. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

@TypeCoin971793 - I thoroughly enjoyed your article; and, it made me remember with a mixture of regret, embarrassment and for some strange reason, an amount of longing, that when I was a little girl my mother put a harness on La Cointessita when she took me out. :(. It was made of red leather straps that went around my chest high and waist low, over my shoulders and came together somehow in the back which was where she attached...(oh, dear)...a lead or leash. (sigh).

Nice coins, everybody.
    I suppose I ought to have at least one of these at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted