So who's buying the new Enhanced Reverse Proof ASE?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by UncleScroge, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Sixfootfour

Sixfootfour Coins are cool !

Way to go green 18, it was worth the trouble. Collectable from day one.

Heater and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sixfootfour

4. Sixfootfour

They sold out in 75 seconds.
    Amazing

5. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I think so... It’s not very clear, but in the past, reaching this step means you’re in. I guess there is still the possibility they have to refund some people because they some how over-sold, but I haven’t seen that happen yet.

6. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

Ok thanks guys!

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

From what I hear it crashed at 12:01. Is that true? How can they take 30,000 orders in less than 1 minute?

8. Sixfootfour

It's all the EDIT, No Political comments/discussions Allowed. Read the rules.
    Thanks, Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2019
    Heater likes this.
  9. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

The flippers were out in force! maybe they will raise the mintage and screw them all lol

CoinCorgi and Inspector43 like this.
  10. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

Tons of bots probably.

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Well, I had no intentions of buying one. But, I do like to view the process. This has happened to me in the past and I see the mint is still governed by big business.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It crashed in less than 30 seconds for me.

longshot likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It seems inevitable that it cleared up as soon as they were sold out.

The problem wasn't loading the product page, it was loading and processing the payment pages. If the item is sold out, nobody's hitting the payment pages with it, and the payment-page traffic drops back to normal.

Payment processing is a lot harder to scale than "show me the product" pages, because payment processing has to line up for access to the inventory system and the payment processors. With a household limit of 1, that's 30,000+ separate threads lining up to get at the same resources. Even if you can get through the required transaction set in a fraction of a second, 30,000 fractions of a second can add up.

Heater and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. AFW

AFW New Member

I'm sure the big dealers had everyone and anyone that works for them trying to get one to include employee's aunts, uncles, dogwalkers etc.

I got one, but it locked up around 3 times on the submit.

JCKTJK likes this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If they'd said "mint to demand", hardly anyone would care about the issue. It's possible (though unlikely) that the final mintage would have been less than 30,000 for yet another novelty ASE.

If they wanted to be fair and still have a limited mintage, they could set up a lottery system. If they instead wanted to generate a lot of excitement and discussion, and maybe remind everybody that ASEs are still a thing -- well, here we are.

LakeEffect, gbandy and baseball21 like this.
  16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

There were offers to buy (pre sale) on CU. They were from $350-$575 if you locked it in with them. I'm sure there were plenty of other offers elsewhere also.
    "Flippers."
    Collectors once again will have to pay up if they missed out on the initial release.

17. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

they have sold over 319,000 W proofs so far this year, 100,000 of these would have had the same result.

18. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

So why didn't they increase the number?

It's a relatively "cheap" product, unlike the 2009 UHR. You can't have a limit of 30K for something under $100.

They LOST most coin collectors and future Mint buyers than they gained with this Limted Edition crap.

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Leave it to the government to leave that much money on the table!

GoldFinger1969 and JCKTJK like this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

As usual, the Mint makes a mess with its computer system.

As usual, the flippers have them in multiples and many collectors have none.

As usual, we complain and say changes are needed.

And, as usual, the same process will be followed the next time the Mint offers a limited edition of some sort.

In short, they don’t care what we think.

As usual.

JCKTJK, dchjr and Inspector43 like this.
  21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

But it's the low number that created the demand. If the limit was 300,000 there wouldn't have been a buying frenzy.

Heater, masterswimmer, JCKTJK and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted