So who's buying the new Enhanced Reverse Proof ASE?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by UncleScroge, Nov 6, 2019.

1. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Just received this email from the US Mint advertising, with much hype, the new ERP ASE to be released November 14 at Noon.
    Are you planning on purchasing one, or more?
    And if so, why? Or if not, why not? 2019 ASE ERP Announcement.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If I get through, I'll buy one. If not, I'll get a graded one in a few months or whenever the hype dies down.

Since I'm only going to buy 1, I really don't care that much if I am going to pay $70 or $120 for the coin. I mean, I care, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm more price-sensitive on a MSD or a Saint costing high-3 figures or 4 figures.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Another US Mint attempt to support the big dealers and keep the presses running. They really are trying to compete with the likes of Franklin Mint, other click bait 'looks like' mints and give fodder to the TPG's. I decided some time back to stick to the coins that will be released to circulation and organize my 70+ years accumulation.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

With a mintage of 30K I might consider it as a flip opportunity, but not to keep. I think the "enhanced" treatments have potential, but if a coin has laser-pocked fields and polished devices, it's just wrong as far as I'm concerned.

6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You're going to flip 1 or 2 coins ?o_O

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, not for a living.

Edit: with presales on eBay getting up into the $500 range, I think a lot of people will find it worth the trouble to flip a single coin...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Chicken - Egg problem. Mint produces a lot of crap because the flippers want it or do flippers flip the crap because it is going to be minted anyway.

Inspector43 and Santinidollar like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not for me. I collect a straight date set of the regular issues only. The Mint gets enough money from me for the annual sets each year and with the conclusion of the ATB series I am done with all my sets. I am now working backwards filling in those in all other sets I do not yet have.

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me it's just another overpriced relic that the Mint sells.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’ll try for one when sales open. As far as buying one on the secondary market, yech!

12. Inspector43

Amen

Collecting Nut and tommyc03 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

"IF" I can get one from the site or at the Whitman show next week, I will get one for my new son's birth year coins. I will not be paying a secondary seller through the nose for it. The mint is already selling it for more than it should be.

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'll probably buy one to flip now, and if I feel like it, one to keep once the initial flip premium is gone.

15. Collecting Nut

I must be getting old. I missed that one. Actually I'm doing what I can before my surgery next Thursday. So much to do, so little time, and I can't do much.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Inspector43

There's a bunch of people here in Texas that are pulling and praying for you.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Not a bad surgery, I just hope it works. So much less invasive than a partial knee replacement. I have a total on my right knee but this is my left.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kripes, I'm concerned dear fellow........best of luck with the procedure, and do keep us informed.

Inspector43 and Collecting Nut like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

I will start a thread the night before so I can update it. He's a good doctor so I expect all to go well. Thanks Green! :)

Inspector43 and green18 like this.
  20. green18

I'm in for one or two of these bloody things.......they never get 'old' with me, and the different varieties spawn my collecting endeavour......

Sixfootfour likes this.
  21. green18

Good to trust your surgeon......:)

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted