So, ... who are you?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jun 5, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sounds like fun.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tracy Henderson

Tracy Henderson Active Member

There you are!!! Nice to meet you!! That group has been awesome, and very welcoming. I have tried a few other social medias, and it was not supportive at all. So finding other nerds to geek out with is very cool to me!! Thank you!

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The ancients people are especially nice, and @galba68 is a detectorist in Europe who posts AMAZING finds

panzerman, kountryken, Egry and 5 others like this.
  5. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

the resident chinese dragon...

panzerman likes this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I bought a new mask me froggy mask.jpg

7. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I’m new here, and so happy that I found Ancient Coin people! My wife said I was the only one, but I knew others existed.

I’m 34, I grew up on a grain farm in western Canada. I met an Aussie girl going to University in Canada, we fell in love and before I knew it I’m living in Australia. We are married now and have two beautiful children a little girl and boy. I own a successful engineering firm which provides a healthy budget for my coin addiction.

I started collecting Canadian coins when I was about 10 or so, my first coins were what my Dad and grandparents gave me. Once I had a fairly compete Canadian collection I somehow organically moved into ancients. I have always loved Ancient Rome, their engineering feats have always been something I’ve aspired too.

I am by no means an expert in ancients but I’m always learning. Between running my company and enjoying my young family it typically only leaves a couple late evenings a week for my coin interest.

8F248BE5-7121-4225-8F1E-9A847D77825D.jpeg

The CT members are absolutely amazing, unfortunately from my experience it seems to be very rare to find such kind people on a coin forum.

@jamesicus, great picture, you are exactly what I envisioned, an absolute legend!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @Egry . Like you, I started collecting Canadian coins in my youth...moved to Roman Imperial...but didn't move from Canada...!
    Very nice family ( and maybe future Collectors e.g. @furryfrog02 )and congrats on the Supporter status.

9. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Thank you @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix. If you still collect Canadian let me know if you have a few gaps. I come across Canadian coins oddly quite often here, and they tend to be way under book value and I am more than happy to pass on the savings. e.g. Last week I picked up a 32 50cent in solid VF for $50, the find of the year for me.

I gave my little boy my old tin box that I kept my coins in as a kid along with a few mid century large nickel crowns, he calls it his treasure chest. He seems keen.

10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I think you need a Thomas The Tank Engine mask. Just sayin...

dwhiz and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Great post, makes my day and puts a smile on my face! There is hope for us old coin collectors yet! I love my Canadian coins as well as my few ancients.

12. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I thought I would write a short something about myself. I am Greek, my roots are from Epeiros, but I live in the Netherlands. My fiancee is Polish and I have a son of almost 2, so I am kind of in a multicultural situation (I speak 4 languages fluent), but so far it is working. I am an engineer and I work in the Chemical-Medical-Pharmaceutical Industry. Things I develop are orthopedic implants, bone plates, sutures, and so on, work is challenging and fun.
    Other than that I always enjoyed history and followed quite some courses about that topic at universities, just for fun... I am a curious human being (I guess the Greek philosopher in me).

A couple of years I am collecting Ancient coins now. My fever for ancient coins started when I was browsing on ebay and I don't remember how but I stumbled on a Alexander the great bronze coin, with a current bid of around 8.50 dollars. I seriously thought this was fake, how can a 2300 year old coin be only 8.50 dollars? The seller had a very good 100% rating so I was like, what can I lose. I put a 15 dollars bid and I won the coin, did some research and that is how my ancient coin collection started.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Great intro! You are a man of the world, keep up the good work on collecting coins that you like. Ancient, new, whatever. 400-344 BC GR 1-2 d obv.JPG 400-344 BC GR 1-2 d rev.JPG

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just found this thread. I have been collecting coins since I was 4, US from that time to about age of 30 or so. I was bored with US coins and was volunteering at our coin club show and found a dealer with some ancient. Then found Moneta-L and other Yahoo groups and have been hooked for over 20 years now.

I am a CFO at a largish food firm, around $1 billion in sales, married and 3 young children. Degrees, combat vet from Gulf war, etc.

Oh, and a coin hoarder. I do not let loose of coins from my paws lightly at all and like group lots at times. @dougsmit describes me as the only ancient roll collector he knows of, but I think @TheFinn gives me a run for my money. :) I still have my US holdings and haven't looked at a single coin there in over 20 years.

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

panzerman likes this.
  16. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

This is who I am.
    My name is David and I am 57 years old, work as a Non Destructive Tester for the U.S. Army.
    I am Married to an awesome Wife and have 3 Daughters and one really cool Grandson.
    I was born into a Navy family.
    My Father (32 years Navy) and I below.
    Scan0009.jpg
    My Father was the one that got me started collecting coins when I about 6 years old. And I have always been interested in coins off and on since then. I followed my father's footsteps and joined the Navy (21 years),

My Father and I at my boot camp Graduation.
    103446.JPG
    While I was in Spain in the Navy I was introduced to ancient coins and fell in love with the history behind them. Every time I would find a new coin metal detecting I would read up on the history of the coin or the emperor on it. When I returned back to the U.S. I got married and settled down and took a long break away from my ancient coin collecting and had at one point had to sell a majority of them. Later on I turned my interest to buying, restoring, and selling muscle cars from the 60's and 70's for about 20 years. Me and one of my cars, 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T DSCF2258.JPG
    And just in the last two years I have got back into my ancient coin collecting.
    I love this forum, it is all of you that make it great !

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Here - 1916-standing-liberty-quarter.jpg texas_donut.jpg

Now, give us your name. LOL (You can PM me if you wish.)

18. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

What a great story - and a great family - @Egry! I am humbled at you calling me a legend! I am going to show that to Beverly for to me she is the truly legendary person in our family.

19. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Hello shipmate. I spent 7 years in...best times serving as a brown shirt (plane captain) in VA-75 deployed aboard the USS Kennedy. 1990- 1991-- picture from somewhere in the Red Sea off the coast of Iraq.

A-6.jpeg

20. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I've been meaning to post in this thread since June. When it first started, I was in the final weeks of a course so had very little free time and told myself when it ended I'd post... But that was mid-June. :jawdrop: Oh well, better late than never. :smuggrin:

I've been frequenting the Ancients forum often (is that a polite way of saying refreshing the forum every couple minutes to see what's changed and who's posted what?? ) since May 2017. I didn't really have a history of coin collecting, but found my first ancient on Ebay in spring of that year and I've been along for the ride ever since. I find learning about history (or anything for that matter) fun and enjoyable, so having actual artifacts like these coins is SOOO intriguing and helps me more deeply engage in their history. I started off exploring Roman Antioch SC & wreath AE coins as my sort of focus, but have since moved on to Punic Wars and Roman Imperial coins, and that might change too in the future.

I just turned 40 last month, have a loving wife and celebrated our 1 year anniversary in June (thank you to all the well wishes last year! Such an amazing community!)... in fact I think I share it with Doug and his wife (6/21?)! I have 2 amazingly sharp and caring kids from a previous marriage, a 12yo son & 9yo daughter. I'm currently a quarter away from completing a degree in psychology, and I work at a university doing media and product strategy, design , and innovation work. I'm live in Minnesota in a suburb of Minneapolis, but grew up in a small town in Wisconsin right on the border of it with MN. We just bought a house over the winter.

IRL I'm a bit silly, weird, punny and witty, sometimes let potty humor slip out, and awkward at times. But that's me. I love learning, making genuine connections with people, and being kind.

I really, REALLY love the community we've built here and call many of you my friend. I appreciate all the expertise, experience, humor, and camaraderie that is shared amongst one another every day, every hour, every minute here on this site. Thank you!

panzerman, TheRed, dadams and 16 others like this.
  21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Thomas mask.png
    @furryfrog02
    Hmmm good idea, now if I could get one like my avatar would even be better.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted