So what is the scam within the scam?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Burton Strauss III, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

OK - I bid on two low grade 1883 w/ CENTS Liberty V Nickel and won both - an FR2 and an AG3 and my total bid with s/h was under $10...

I paid and the transaction was almost immediately refunded with a note that PayPal was compromised.

Checked the feedback and, well, as expected

upload_2019-11-17_15-15-35.png

upload_2019-11-17_15-17-22.png

and a bunch like this:

upload_2019-11-17_15-18-25.png

He did contact me and sent a PayPal money request. I ignored it for the week and finally tossed a coin, and paid on Friday.

The coins arrived Saturday - even from Port Neches, TX to DFW the package had to be in the mail before I paid.

The return address on the package traces back to what looks like a legit small real estate investment business.

I ticked the "for goods" box on PayPal for my protection, so all he's really done is beat fleaBay out of their 10% FVF, which is about 90 cents...

My Q is what's the scam within the scam. Or is he just telling the truth??? Am I just that cynical?

The fleaBay seller was jayba-1995 and he's gone.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I honestly don't understand. Especially with PayPal's new change where they don't refund the 30 cent transaction fee for refunds.

All the seller does is lose 30 cents each time.

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I know, that's what has me baffled... maybe it's just Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity"

Stevearino likes this.
  5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm too honest to even begin to understand what this crap is.....

Draft saved Draft deleted