So what about the Vignettes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Zeplyn, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

While I have only been exposed to Banknotes for a short while, I have come upon a question that some of you may be able to help me with.
    If you look up the definition of Vignettes you will see that it means to decorate or something that may be written on a vine or leaf.
    So why does everyone hear call the central figures vingnettes? Or am I just getting this confused?

I suppose the "portrait" of the person on our banknotes is often called a vignette which is indeed not the case. So which is it? Is the vignette the decorated parts of a banknote or the entire engraving on the banknote? I am curious to hear what you all have to say.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

The one you quote is only one of the definitions of "vignette". When it applies to paper notes or stamps, it is the main part of the design or portrait.

4. Zeplyn

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

6. Zeplyn

Well that is very interesting. It seems that there needs to be a dictionary for Banknote definitions, now does it not?
    Thank you for the alternate links. I get the picture (vignette) now.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Most guide books and some web sites have glossaries for terms related to the area of focus. By the time you have looked up all the terms that now you question, you will not need them as they come in handy at the beginning but are usually not sought much once you have the hang of using those terms.

8. Zeplyn

So I suppose you would say it is much like picking up local slang?
    I understand and will keep my ears and eyes open to learn what I can.
    Thank you.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Like most anything else you won't find all the answers to the questions you have in one source. Even if you attempted to create one you would soon find yourself buried in a never ending chore to catalog and include everything of relevance.

10. Zeplyn

I can say with a definative reply that this is one aspect of collecting that has deeper reaching meaning than some coins in my opinion.

11. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

12. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

Your avatar appears to be a Chinese transliteration of "Zeplyn".

One of my interests is the vignettes on old Chinese banknotes.

If you are similarly inclined, please feel welcome to visit my website on Chinese Paper Money.

Gary

13. Zeplyn

You are correct Gary. It is that exactly. You see my given name is very unusual.
    And I must say your website is excellent!

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Best illustrated with images:

[​IMG]

Pennsylvania first issued paper money beginning in 1723 as a means of funding several provincial projects in the colony, the earliest notes were printed by Andrew Bradford. Benjamin Franklin printed a small change note for an Evan Morgan in June 1729 and apparently accepted some in payment, but he did not himself print notes for the colony until 1739. With the 1739 issue Franklin introduced what was then a high tech solution to thwarting counterfeiting, the inclusion of a leaf for printing the reverse of the note - the leaf being unique in it's structure and the print thereof being difficult to duplicate an exact copy of.

[​IMG]

Counterfeiting of paper money in 18th century was on a scale that is now unimaginable - a plague that never really was quite eradicated during the time. The simplicity of printing techniques during the time, coupled with the trying times, coalesced to driving the colonies into near financial collapse at times - with entire paper money issues being recalled and exchanged for new bills at times. The penalties for forgery became severe - the death penalty is about as strong a measure as can be enacted, but in essence even that harsh measure never completely eradicated the problem - particularly so during the American Revolution a few years later when the British government conspired to circulate counterfeit notes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of the most fascinating aspects of collecting colonial era paper money is the history, in this instance the note was printed in the shop of Benjamin Franklin and his associate David Hall. David Hall was born in Scotland in 1714 and became a journeyman printer in Franklin's firm in 1743 having just prior emigrated from Scotland. Hall, being a a reliable associate became a full partner of Franklin in 1748 and ran the firm during Franklin's extended travels to Great Britain during the 1750's and 1760's. In all likelihood after 1748 Franklin really had little to do with his printing business in Philadelphia beyond being a passive partner and investor - so unlike my 1746 Delaware note which was printed by Franklin - this note was printed by David Hall. Franklin's name continued being displayed on the notes through the 1764 issue, in 1766 Franklin sold his interest in the firm to David Hall who subsequently brought in William Sellers as a partner in the business. After David Hall's demise in 1772 William Sellers continued the firm under the Hall and Sellers name until his demise in 1804. Hall and Sellers would be the primary printing contractor for Pennsylvania and later Continentals and 1780 Guaranty notes.

Draft saved Draft deleted