So Tiny yet big with the Sacred Geometry

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Once in a rare while I see an ancient carrying the wisdom of the number secrets behind our manifested cosmos. Rarely are those very affordable(ie. like the rare Cretan Labyrinth)but this one was reasonable so here it is.
    Asia Minor 4th -3rd cent.BC
    Ar fraction .31 grm, 7mm
    Athena right/star/grid with five dots in the middle IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1766.JPG lo-shu-color.png
    magicSquareSummary.png
    From a simple summary of the grids/magic squares that the ancient peoples used to understand time/space/soul: from the book Sacred Number by Miranda Lundy
    and some previous posted coins from Miletos with the grids: coinmiletoslionbought.jpg
    coinboughtmiletos.jpg
    Ionien Trihemiobol 525/500 v. Chr.
    Grade: VF- | Abbreviations
    Catalog: Slg. Klein 420 Babelon, Traité II/1, 433 Rosen Coll. 579
    Trihemiobol 525/500 v. Chr. Löwenkopf von vorn / Incusum mit geometrischem Muster und floralem Zentrum. Slg. Klein 420 Babelon, Traité II/1, 433 Rosen Coll. 579 1.51 g. Sehr selten Fast sehr schön
    Please post your labyrinthian geometrics, flowery mazes and razzle dazzle patterns on coins:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Silverlock, dadams, galba68 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I purchased this Miletos especial from Frank Robinson. I've always enjoyed these kind of designs.
    CollageMaker Plus_2018102817541236.png
    MILETOS,
    1/12 Stater, 6th cent BC,
    Lion forepart, head l./ star
    pattern in square, S3532
    (£65); EF, good metal
    quality, great detail on lion's
    mane, but off-ctr with his
    face. Ex Frank Robinson

I had to search for a while to get one of these fun Syracuse beauties.
    CollageMaker Plus_20187291844324.png
    Sicily,Syracuse
    Æ Hemilitron. Dionysios I,
    circa 405-375 BC. Head of
    Arethusa right / Star of
    sixteen rays at centre of
    quartered incuse. CNS II,
    18; SNG ANS 394-397;
    HGC 2, 1481. 5.19g, 18m

Silverlock, dadams, galba68 and 11 others like this.
  4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I bought this one for a similar reason

[​IMG]

CARIA, Kindya. Circa 510-480 BC. AR Tetrobol (11.5mm, 2.24 g). Head of ketos right / Geometric pattern within incuse square. Kagan & Kritt 1 var. (head left); SNG Keckman 920 var. (same); SNG Kayhan 815; Asyut 688 (uncertain mint). VF, toned.

Silverlock, dadams, galba68 and 13 others like this.
  5. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

its crazy people thousands of years ago literally spent that stuff and like now we hold the same thing!

dadams and Mike Margolis like this.
  6. Mike Margolis

That is a beauty!

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting post, Mike!

I have a Carian tetrobol similar to the one shown above. Recent scholarship has shown the coins to be from Halikarnassos rather than Kindya (I haven't changed it on my website yet, along with scores of other changes, corrections, and additions).

[​IMG]
    CARIA, Halikarnassos (reassigned from Kindya)
    500-496 BCE
    AR tetrobol, 2.18 gm, 11 mm, Samian standard
    Obv: head of ketos right
    Rev: geometric pattern within incuse square
    Ref: Kagan and Kritt, 'The Coinage of Kindya,' NC 1995, 1 var. (head left); SNG Keckman 920 var. (same); SNG Kayhan 815; "Asyut Hoard" 688

8. Mike Margolis

Your pentagram coins @TIF like the one from Mysia(and the hemi from Thrace) also carry the sacred geometry:
    The branch in the center of the pentagram expresses their knowledge that it holds the pattern of the golden mean/section which is found only in plants and other living organisms. The Greeks were immersed in math as a sacred language as you probably know. Your post on musical instruments also expresses their awareness of music as number in time and we all know about the experiments of Pythagoras with the division of the vibrating string in specific mathematical proportions. These are great areas of interest for a collection of ancients, including music, math/number, geometry as well as cosmology- the four disciplines called the 'Quadrivium".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Silverlock and dadams like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Linking images from my website is difficult since Wix changed some things. Here's the coin you were trying to link. Thanks for remembering it!

[​IMG]
    MYSIA, Pitane
    AE, 4th-3rd c. BCE
    9 mm, 0.64 gm
    Obv: Head of Zeus Ammon right
    Rev: ΠΙΤΑ; Pentagram, branch in center
    Ref: BMC 5-10 var. (pellet in center)

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Neat coins all

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool geometrics @Mike Margolis !

upload_2018-11-27_10-19-28.png
    Ionia AR Tetartemorion 4mm 0.13g 530-500 BCE Rosette - Incuse sq punch 5 pellets SNG von Aulock 1807

Iona-Miletos Late6thC fine lion.jpg
    Iona-Miletos Late6thC fine lion

Iona-Miletos AR Obol Late6thC fine lion laying LEFT facing RIGHT.jpg
    Iona-Miletos AR Obol Late6thC fine lion laying LEFT facing RIGHT

India Gandahara AR Bent Bar 11.3g  650-600 BCE RARE two dots - also have on BOTH sides VERY RARE.jpg
    India Gandahara AR Bent Bar 11.3g 650-600 BCE RARE two dots - also have on BOTH sides VERY RARE

upload_2018-11-27_10-28-39.png
    RI Augustus 27BC-AD14 Æ20 5.5g 12h Apameia Phrygia Magistrate Attalos c 15BC Two corn-ears above maeander pattern RPC I, 3125 SCARCE

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It is even harder to believe someone could craft the die. Especially for some of these designs.

Draft saved Draft deleted