So that's what these originally looked like?!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Hi folks,
    I know I said I would be laying of the coins for a few months but this one just looked at me the wrong way and I had to get it! It is a semi fully silvered Constantius II Ae-2 nummis or follis.
    I paid under $100 ISD for it but would like the experts opinion on how much it's worth?
    Also please share you Constantius II coins and any coin that is silvered!
    Cheers
    image.jpeg
    I am stunned that this thing is still silvered, they must have not circulated much due to inflation. Still it's a wonderfully piece that I've always wanted to have.
    I am certain that it is BD free so that's always a plus!

Cyzicus Mint 351-354 AD

Obverse: D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, helmeted soldier left shield on left arm, spearing fallen horseman, γ in left field, SMKE in exergue

RIC VIII: 92

Size: 24mm, 5.03g

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sadly I can't help determine what it might bring in resale.

That one is very nice! Maybe the boys at the Cyzicus mint got a good batch of silvering material?

Here's one of mine that has a lot of silvering remaining:
    [​IMG]
    Constantius II, AD 337-361.
    Æ Follis, 4g, 19mm, 12h; Cyzicus mint, 325-326.
    Obv.: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C; Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust left.
    Rev.: PROVIDEN-TIA CAESS; Campgate, two turrets, no doors, star above, eight stone layers
    In Ex.: SMKS dot

4. Magnus Maximus

@Jwt708
    Very nice follis! Your coin shows Constantius II as a helpless pup, mine shows him all grown up as a wolf!!:D

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I know many 1943 "steel" cents are re-plated, could these ancient Romans be re-plated?

Insider and Magnus Maximus like this.
  6. Magnus Maximus

I doubt it, this coin has mineral deposits on the reverse. Plus the silvering is spotty in many places. Also it's sold by a well known Vcoins dealer.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Topcat7 and Kentucky like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That may be a fair question. As far as mine goes it has none of the things you would find on a re-plated cent like the bubbles and you can see on mine where the silvering is not all there.

Magnus Maximus and Kentucky like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Didn't mean any specific coins and particularly coins in this thread, but just asking as a theoretical question about re-silvering.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think that's a good question. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer.

Magnus Maximus and Kentucky like this.
  10. Magnus Maximus

Oh, my bad then:shame:
    I have never heard of that happening but greedy people will go to any lengths to make an extra buck!

Insider and Topcat7 like this.
  11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I wonder if coins were re-washed in antiquity?

Topcat7 likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Or in modernity...

Topcat7 and Pishpash like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Lets remember that the silvered coating was there to remind users that the alloy of the coin contained a small amount of silver. The fact that a little wore off would not make the coin unacceptable for circulation or worth any less in 'melt' value. There are resilvered coins but most are junkers with corrosion under the silver which would not happen with original silvering.

We will note that some issues were silvered more efficiently than others. Some mints at some periods must have used a better process since it is much easier to find some types silver than others. Falling Horsemen are not common with a lot of silver. I have seen more than one of these Heraclea campgates with silver remaining.

Constantine I
    rx4960b01270lg.jpg

Licinius I
    rx4350bb2083.jpg

Licinius II
    rx4490bb1557.jpg

Constantine II (2)
    rx5881bb2212.jpg rx5900bb0962.jpg

Who has the Crispus I lack?

chrsmat71, WDF, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great score, Mag-Max => congrats on adding that sweet Constantius-II Fallen Horseman

:rolleyes:

Ummm, I have a couple of fairly cool Constantius-II examples as well (wanna see 'em?)

constantius II rocks.jpg Fallen Horseman.jpg

chrsmat71, WDF, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  15. Magnus Maximus

So what is your opinion on my coin then? Also how much is it worth?

16. Magnus Maximus

Thanks Steve, I can always count on a compliment from you bro!

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice one MM. A really good strike on the reverse.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  18. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

you say you paid 100 USD posted?
    I reckon you could pick up this coin in the UK for £20, so whats that...$35 ish?
    I bought about 20 for £12 each last year...better than the OP coin, but it was a bulk buy, so the price was slightly lower.

19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I see nobody wants to postulate on the question asked. As a dealer I would say it is worth about what you paid. Nicely centered, full legends, good silvering, etc. I would say roughly $75 to $125. Keep in mind silvering overall adds no value. That's just a personal issue. True, some may have paid $20 for these in odd venues, but overall you paid right.

Theodosius and Magnus Maximus like this.
  20. Magnus Maximus

Thank you Mr. Dorney for fully answering my question! I doubt this tight lipped crowd would have ever answered it.

21. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

odd venues?......where do you think I hang out?;)

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted