So... tell me what you find interesting, intriguing, and/or appealing about this coin (if you do)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 24, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It is a United States dime.

[​IMG]

Do you like it and find such engraved pieces interesting or appealing? If so, why?

Would you add a coin like this to your collection?

Is there anything that appeals to you or is interesting about this particular coin?

On the opposite hand, do you find this sort of "grafitti" to be "damage" that "ruins" the coin for you?

Or do you find this sort of thing kind of thing mildly interesting, but just not to your taste?

I suppose i could've made this another poll, but decided to post a discussion thread instead, to see what sort of responses it gets.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy love tokens. I like to think about the history of the person who carved it and to whom it was given.

It kind of sucks because it "destroys" the coin. But on the other hand I think it adds something even more to it. As long as it isn't on a really rare piece haha.

I do not own any since they are mostly out of my price range but if the opportunity presented itself I would definitely like to own one...perhaps some day :)

Cheech9712, Amos 811 and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think pieces like this are interesting from a historical perspective. I can understand why some people collect them.

I would not be interested in adding one to my collection however. I just don't find them appealing enough to buy one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

@lordmarcovan - Do you by chance know anything about the person who inscribed the coin? I did a quick google search and found a Harry Filer from Sharon, PA (which is what I think the bottom line is...can't make it out for sure) who was born in 1872 and worked in the coal industry.

EDIT - I think I just found the coin on ebay on a sold page from September from Columbia, MD. Not too far from me :)

Stevearino and Amos 811 like this.
  7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I grew up about a half-hour from Sharon, PA. Cool coin.

(P.S. I didn't know Harry, but he had good taste! Do you think that *he* wore it or that he gave it to his girlfriend/wife?)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I would definately add something like this to my collection. I enjoy coin collecting because of the connection to history. A piece like this adds a personal touch to the past.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I like pieces like this for what they are, a tangible piece of history. It is a lot of fun when you can find out that history but sometimes it’s just as much fun when it remains a mystery. As a collector, you can lament that a piece has been “destroyed” , sometimes even a rare coin but when it was done it was just pocket change. I love finding things like this in the wild and getting them cheap as “damaged” but rarely want them bad enough to pay a premium.

lordmarcovan and furryfrog02 like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Edit: Oops. This was supposed to be a PM to somebody. LOL

Too many tabs open!

Anyway, pease keep the replies coming, be they positive, negative, or indifferent.

I'll add my own commentary later.

11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I like love tokens for what they are, history geek that I am, and I've bought them for my collection. I'm always on the lookout for tokens with my wife's name. Unfortunately, someone else out there is always looking for the same name. We've had fierce eBay auction battles.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

3C31A8A0-8E4E-4658-A7AA-60826E57F0E2.jpeg Could this be him? Impossible to know really, but maybe so.

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I like love tokens IF I can "link" to them at a personal level.
    I've gotten two of them for my wife with the initials SEW.
    She teaches sewing and sews for herself (and occasionally me).
    Never found any with her initials -- or name.

Stevearino and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I enjoy love tokens that are made well. I found one in my grandfathers collection that was really stunning. I like this one because you can link it to a person and place, but i do prefer the more artsy ones. Like the one below [​IMG](just did a quick google search to find something that fit what i liked).

Recap: Love tokens are cool. I like ones similar to the picture better than the one in question. However the one in question is an exception because there is a full name and place.

15. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I enjoy love tokens that are made well. I found one in my grandfathers collection that was really stunning. I like this one because you can link it to a person and place, but i do prefer the more artsy ones. Like the one below [​IMG](just did a quick google search to find something that fit what i liked).

Recap: Love tokens are cool. I like ones similar to the picture better than the one in question. However the one in question is an exception because there is a full name and place.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I like it for all the reasons set out above by others. If he did not have this coin, we would not be talking about him right now and we might not possibly be looking at his photograph.

Stevearino and furryfrog02 like this.
  17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Absolutely!

wxcoin likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

I will break my temporary, strategic silence on the topic to say WOW! Classic Head host coin AND superb engraving!

That, folks, is one example of what a blue-chip, "premium quality" love token looks like. Thanks for posting that. It is an amazing piece. Is it on a quarter-eagle or half-eagle?

19. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I wouldn't own a coin like this due to the damage. However, if these kind of altered coins were things that interested me then I'd probably think differently.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

So well stated.....I wonder if the 1857 date was of any special importance?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Love tokens are fascinating. I bought one with my wife's initials on it to give her for a Valentine's Day present.

22. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I like the feel you get from the way it has worn, and the period script. Makes you reflect more than you would if it was untouched.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted