So Sad, next week is the FINAL Santa Clara Show!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The Penny Lady®, Nov 11, 2011.

1. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Just got this email from Expos Unlimited:

"It is with great sadness that we announce the closing of our Santa Clara Expo. Next week will be the last Santa Clara Expo and our March 2012 show is cancelled."

I know it has been a dying show for the last few years, but I have always enjoyed it, and it was the best NoCal show out there. So I am sad, and I hope some other show promoter may take this as an opportunity to maybe take over and start a new show in NoCal!

Here is the full press release:

"The last scheduled Santa Clara Coin, Stamp & Collectibles Expo will be the upcoming show, November 18 - 20, 2011. Future dates for the twice-yearly Northern California show, including the previously planned March 16 - 18, 2012 show, are being canceled by the Santa Clara Expo's owner, Collectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ:
    CLCT).

The Long Beach Expo, also owned by Collectors Universe, is not affected by the Santa Clara show closing. The next Long Beach Expo is scheduled for February 2 - 4, 2012.

"The coin show business has changed quite a bit in the past decade and the smaller regional shows face significant financial challenges. We have decided to stop our involvement with the Santa Clara show and concentrate our efforts on the larger Long Beach shows," said David Hall, President of Collectors Universe.

"We appreciate the support of dealers and Bay area collectors, and are sorry we can no longer provide the
    show."

Public attendance was growing in recent years as thousands of collectors attended the two annual Santa Clara Expo events, and the support of local and regional dealers was excellent, according to show organizers. However, the number of out-of-state dealers who purchased bourse tables dwindled due to frequent scheduling conflicts with competing shows in the eastern United States and elsewhere."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Damn, this was my biggest local show! Really too bad :(.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think CA tax law was also putting the squeeze on the show unfortunately. CA has a unusual tax scheme in which you can only attend sell in CA a few days a year. Anything longer subjects you to registering in CA and paying their income taxes and registering for and collecting their sales taxes. I know many other trade shows in CA are facing the same issue.

This was true a few years ago. If anyone is aware of this changing in CA recently I will certainly stand corrected.

Chris

5. fishsoup

fishsoup New Member

Oh no! This is the first show I was planning to attend, and it is sad to hear I can't make it a habit.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's a shame! I'm not that surprised tho' considering CU makes way more money in the Long Beach shows. Looks like CU doesn't care that much about preserving and promoting the hobby. At least not as much as they care about the almighty dollar. IMHO this could be a great opportunity for the ANA, or a similar group or individual who would be more interested in promoting the hobby than making a certain amount of profit. just thinking out loud...

Draft saved Draft deleted